• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

middle-aged spread

When I was fat, I was fat in all the usual places. Then I had RYGB and got so skinny, people kept telling me I should gain some weight. Over the years, I've gained a few pounds, but it was always easy to lose them by going back to the basics of the bariatric diet and going to the gym.

I actually put my scale away so I wouldn't obsess over weighing myself. I'm one of THOSE people who would weigh several times a day. I only weigh at my doctor's office. But I FEEL fat. This is a phenomena people tend to feel with age. But over the weekend I was cleaning out my clothes closet and there were clothes I couldn't fit into. This is a bad sign for me.

So I got out my scale. I'll weigh myself tomorrow after my shower and then record whatever it says. I'm also going to record everything in my journal so I stay honest about it. I think I need to drop about 20 pounds but I'll know better after I weigh myself.

The worst thing about this all is I'm experiencing the middle-aged spread. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

If you do and you've had any success in reducing it, how did you do it? I know one thing I'm doing way different and that is I sit on my ass all day. I did a microscopic job of vacuuming my rug today and I had to take two breaks!

I am kind of looking forward to this reduction in food and raising my own awareness, but at the age of 72, I know my actual muscle mass has reduced by about 35 percent. This is really depressing in a way, having observed the middle-aged spread in all my aunts and siblings and cousins.

I'd appreciate any tips from others who've experienced this. I'm actually excited about it.

Back