• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Midlife Crisis?!

eladams2015

Hey everyone! I have been in the background quite a bit lately. Life has been crazy - like beyond the pandemic crazy. In the last two years, we had a court battle to get guardianship of my little cousin after her mom (my first cousin) passed away from cancer (so after being a breath away from empty next, we now have a 7-year-old). In the middle of that, I had my last revision surgery, and my dad died unexpectedly. Then I had a complete hysterectomy. Then my baby boy moved out and got engaged. My oldest and his girlfriend quarantined with us for most of the year, due to being in the theater industry that shut down in New York. All this during a pandemic and trying to keep up with my stepmom, who is grieving and has dementia, from afar. My husband and I have hated living in CA, so far away from our entire family and support systems (got moved here for his job 4 years ago). We thought our midlife crisis was purchasing a travel trailer to be able to get out in nature safely... NOPE... we got a wild hair and put our house on the market. We sold the first day and went into escrow today. We now have 30 days until closing, and we are about to take ourselves, 2 very large dogs, 2 cats and a 7 year old on the road in the RV, trek across country and move to Pennsylvania... cuz, why not?! I have been remote working for 4 years; he's remote due to pandemic and not looking like they will change that any time soon. Feeling a little crazy, and sure we will be hating his option a few weeks into RV living... We are already looking for a house in PA, and excited about being close to family again! I might be quiet for a while longer just due to the sheer panic of trying to get logistics figured out... OH, and in 10 days, we go to court to change that guardianship into adoption so that our girl is ours forever!

I think this definitely qualifies as midlife crisis... LOL

That's a whole lot of stuff going on! So sorry about your dad and cousin's passing. My brother and sister in-law did the RV thing for a couple of years going all around the country, but they only had 1 cat with them! Sounds like a fun adventure though! We just had the addition of my 13 year old granddaughter and her cat move in until she and her mother can find a rental. This stuff sure does keep us on our toes. Good luck with the adoption, I hope it goes smoothly. She is so lucky to have you and wish you all the best!

I'm flabbergasted. That is a crazy amount of stuff in a short period of time. I am sorry to hear about your cousin and your dad passing; also your step mothers dementia. Even really great changes, like major weight loss, a child's engagement and an adoption can be very stressful. I think it will be really nice to have your family and your support system around. Plus a cross country road trip in an RV just sounds like fun. Enjoy!

I would just like to throw out there that you are AMAZING! You are taking on so many things, and trying to do so many good things for your family. You are to be commended. I can't imagine dealing with all of that, but your posts have always seemed to me to be very strong, so I imagine you will get through all of this with flying colors and come out on the other side of this huge change even stronger! Best of luck as you transition!

Back