• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Minor frustrations.

ThisOldJenn

So, small list of things annoying me right now, 4 days post op.
  1. When they removed my drain, they taped gauze over the incision. And put the tape directly over one of the other incisions. So changing the drain bandage meant cutting around that part of the tape, be cause there was no way in hell I was going to pull it off the glue/scab and risk opening that wound.
  2. I’m hungry. 2 ounces of food does NOT make me feel full and I want to cry after every meal having to wait half an hour to start sipping a protein shake. The tiny amount of food was cute the first few days, but now I’m hangry. Anyone else feel this way?
  3. This binder is gross, stained from the cleaning stuff they wipe the surgical field with before making incisions, and bits of blood from healing wounds. But! I don’t want to go without it long enough to wash it, and I doubt the stains would come out any way, so while it would be cleaner, it would still look gross. I’ve solved the gross part some by putting a tank top under it so it’s not against my freshly showered skin. Then I put a shirt over the binder so I don’t have to look at it. I’m sure it smells, but at least it is sandwiched between clean stuff.
  4. The hospital hasn’t called to check on me. Every other time I’ve had surgery, I’ve been called a few days after going home to make sure I’m doing ok (which I totally am, and if I wasn’t, I know who to call). I just feel a little abandoned that there hasn’t been a wellness check call, even if it isn’t necessary in my case.
I’m sure I’m just being whiny because this is a big change and I’m emotional from it all. And tired. Still really tired. But when I nap, I get behind on meds. And my husband is no help with keeping me on track. He will just let me sleep.

1. When they removed my drain, they taped gauze over the incision. And put the tape directly over one of the other incisions. So changing the drain bandage meant cutting around that part of the tape, be cause there was no way in hell I was going to pull it off the glue/scab and risk opening that wound.
  2. I’m hungry. 2 ounces of food does NOT make me feel full and I want to cry after every meal having to wait half an hour to start sipping a protein shake. The tiny amount of food was cute the first few days, but now I’m hangry. Anyone else feel this way?
  3. This binder is gross, stained from the cleaning stuff they wipe the surgical field with before making incisions, and bits of blood from healing wounds. But! I don’t want to go without it long enough to wash it, and I doubt the stains would come out any way, so while it would be cleaner, it would still look gross. I’ve solved the gross part some by putting a tank top under it so it’s not against my freshly showered skin. Then I put a shirt over the binder so I don’t have to look at it. I’m sure it smells, but at least it is sandwiched between clean stuff.
  4. The hospital hasn’t called to check on me. Every other time I’ve had surgery, I’ve been called a few days after going home to make sure I’m doing ok (which I totally am, and if I wasn’t, I know who to call). I just feel a little abandoned that there hasn’t been a wellness check call, even if it isn’t necessary in my case.
I’m sure I’m just being whiny because this is a big change and I’m emotional from it all. And tired. Still really tired. But when I nap, I get behind on meds. And my husband is no help with keeping me on track. He will just let me sleep.
Sorry you're feeling and experiencing these things, Jenn. What was the drain put in for? Did you have the sleeve or bypass? Are you in pain? :(

Order a new binder on Amazon. You don’t want to risk postop infection by continuing to use that one. That can be serious. Then wash the original & rotate them.
You don't have to use Amazon to find a binder. There are dozens (hundreds) of other options. I'd consult with my surgical team and see if they have a recommendation first, then follow their instructions or suggestions. Surprisingly, one size does NOT fit all, and they often put compression on different places. If you have a medical analysis of where you should and shouldn't put pressure, you'll be following a healthy recovery more closely. Here's an internet search I did just to demonstrate that:

But as I wrote in an earlier post, inexpensive and effective binders can be purchased at sporting goods stores where a weightlifter would shop.

In the final decision process, it really is important to check with your medical/surgical team. As other members have related, they were sent home from the hospital with a binder chosen by the surgical team.

Of course, keeping it clean is essential. And if your incisions are protected by tape/gauze etc., you can certainly add a t-shirt before the binder goes on.

Also, I was given some kind of weird spongy material (maybe someone else knows what it's called) that could be applied directly to the wound and skin around it. It worked great for me, and it was such a relief that it did. I could cut it to size and wash it by hand, let it dry, and the sticky stuff rejuvenated and stuck again just fine.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to have clear protein powder with your water or broth? I wonder if that would help you feel satiated.

Sorry you're feeling and experiencing these things, Jenn. What was the drain put in for? Did you have the sleeve or bypass? Are you in pain? :(
I had a roux en y. The drain was to let excess fluid and blood drain from my abdomen. It was in the two days in the hospital. They took it out the day I was discharged. I’m in a little discomfort with occasional sharp pains for no apparent reason. I feel bloated, and constipated. Using miralax and just took a dulcalax to try and get things moving.

First of all, I want to tell you how much I identified with you feeling a little abandoned. My overnight in the hospital I sat up in bed in a dark room and just sobbed. My last hospital stay before that was breast cancer related and I felt doted on. I was told over and over that I wouldn’t be able to leave the hospital until my pain was at or below a 4, so I was nervous about asking for anything for pain, and my brain felt so sluggish I felt like I couldn’t process questions fast enough for the nurses before they left. Not their fault at all.
All in all I had 10 surgeries between 2017 and 2018 because of breast cancer and reconstruction. I thought I was a surgery pro… in all honesty, none of that had prepared me for the actual surgical discomfort post bariatric! I also had the roux en y, and I spent 9 months preparing too! It puts it into perspective why there is such a process to this type of change. I think it’s so normal to feel all kinds of feelings! And I’m so glad we all have a place to sound those feelings out! Just remember this is all a piece of the puzzle, a brick in the road. Day by day it’ll get easier. You got this!

First of all, I want to tell you how much I identified with you feeling a little abandoned. My overnight in the hospital I sat up in bed in a dark room and just sobbed. My last hospital stay before that was breast cancer related and I felt doted on. I was told over and over that I wouldn’t be able to leave the hospital until my pain was at or below a 4, so I was nervous about asking for anything for pain, and my brain felt so sluggish I felt like I couldn’t process questions fast enough for the nurses before they left. Not their fault at all.
All in all I had 10 surgeries between 2017 and 2018 because of breast cancer and reconstruction. I thought I was a surgery pro… in all honesty, none of that had prepared me for the actual surgical discomfort post bariatric! I also had the roux en y, and I spent 9 months preparing too! It puts it into perspective why there is such a process to this type of change. I think it’s so normal to feel all kinds of feelings! And I’m so glad we all have a place to sound those feelings out! Just remember this is all a piece of the puzzle, a brick in the road. Day by day it’ll get easier. You got this!
I will say I didn't feel abandoned while in the hospital. I also was not in a hurry to get out, as I wanted to be sure I was ready and not going home too soon, so I was there two nights. (I live 2 hours from the hospital I had surgery at, so it was not a hop, skip, and a jump to get back if I left too soon.). My pain level wasn't too bad, they did something where they used ultrasound while I was under and did nerve blocks on my abdominal muscles to minimize pain and encourage getting up and moving I imagine, but I'm sure it helped me not feel like my abdomen had been an over inflated balloon.

I will say I didn't feel abandoned while in the hospital. I also was not in a hurry to get out, as I wanted to be sure I was ready and not going home too soon, so I was there two nights. (I live 2 hours from the hospital I had surgery at, so it was not a hop, skip, and a jump to get back if I left too soon.). My pain level wasn't too bad, they did something where they used ultrasound while I was under and did nerve blocks on my abdominal muscles to minimize pain and encourage getting up and moving I imagine, but I'm sure it helped me not feel like my abdomen had been an over inflated balloon.
I am so sorry I misunderstood you! I would have 100% stayed as long as I needed if I were a couple hours away too, I am not even sure why I felt like I needed to go home the following day either. Maybe not being in the hospital bed anymore, maybe because I have a hard time asking the nurses for help when I understand how busy they are. I know no one was intentionally abandoning me, I’m sure it was just in my head, and it felt so different coming out of anesthesia this time I hope you are recovering well and speedily.

Last edited:
Back