• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Month long stall

JudyNY

I only weigh myself on Wednesdays, so I was really hoping that the last Wednesday of this month the scale would pleasantly surprised me since I've been on a month long stall. Each week I've been riding it out saying to myself, "it's okay just keep on going" and I'd be fine with that. Unfortunately today with still no change I feel a little worried. I hope this isn't it. I'm grateful for every pound I have lost but so want to get to Onederland! The struggle is real but my determination is strong. Hopefully May will be a better month, dealing with a lot of family stress doesn't help. Anyway, thanks for listening. I needed to acknowledge to myself that I will keep on being consistent!

I’m not sure how far you are from onederland or your goal weight, but after talking to my NP during my 6 month post op, she said the closer you are to your goal/maintenance weight, the slower the weight loss is. I have confidence that you’ll get to where you’re happy.

I have been teetering between 206 and 208. I've lost 136 lbs so far, so 33 lbs more to get to my personal goal weight of 170. Then I was going to take it from there to see if I wanted to set a 2nd goal weight. I haven't seen 170 since my late 20s so I was unsure of setting a goal lower than that. My doctor never gave me any goal to hit, so this is my own desired goal.

I used this in the beginning to help establish a goal loss. My doctor didn’t give me a number either. I think they just wanted me to make a realistic goal, and a 100 lbs loss would still put me overweight according to the BMI chart (which is bunk), but I’d be happy with it and so would my doctors. My endocrinologist asked me not to lose more than 100 lbs LOL
You can put in your weight from surgery day to see about where you’re at on average with your loss. You’ve lost a lot so far, and it’ll probably just take time to lose more. How’s your physical activity? Since the weathers been nice I’ve been outside doing a lot! Your New Weight Calculator

Thanks for that calculator. I am doing well according to that. I must say I have been slacking on the exercise more this month even with the weather being better. I either have a day where i do really well or I have a lazy day. I had been giving myself some grace because I had some stressful events happen this month. I know, I know, exercise can help relieve stress. I was just too overwhelmed.

That is a great amount of weight to lose, so congrats on that. It has been almost a year, so I think you can expect the weight loss to start slowing down about now. Mine certainly has, I have been fluctuating the same 1.5lbs for 6 weeks. And I had decided that was fine, I hit my goal, and who cares what their stupid calculator says. (ME! But I'm a "fake it til you make it" kinda gal!) But then last week I lost 2.5lbs. I changed nothing in my diet so, I guess it was just time for it? Even after the early stalls and all the encouragement we give the newbies, it's still scary when we hit our own stalls, even late in the game. I would absolutely recommend getting out there and getting some sunshine, even for a short walk. Not only is exercise stress relief but sometimes just a few minutes away from everything can put things in perspective. I know you are determined and focused on the right things so I have faith that you can and will get to ONEderland!!

Judy, this is going to sound nuts. But I have done this and I recommend it. Give yourself a day to pig out. Try not to do a day with sugar, but let yourself have a day with fats included in generous amounts. Your digestive system will say WTF!? And it will start losing again. As soon as it feels alarmed, it will kick in. This works. Believe me. I could explain it more scientifically and I have on another thread, but just try it for one day, like have a greasy cheeseburger or something else that has a lot of fat in it. Make sure you drink all your water but don't stick to your regular eating plan and your metabolism will notice and jump to attention.

That is a great amount of weight to lose, so congrats on that. It has been almost a year, so I think you can expect the weight loss to start slowing down about now. Mine certainly has, I have been fluctuating the same 1.5lbs for 6 weeks. And I had decided that was fine, I hit my goal, and who cares what their stupid calculator says. (ME! But I'm a "fake it til you make it" kinda gal!) But then last week I lost 2.5lbs. I changed nothing in my diet so, I guess it was just time for it? Even after the early stalls and all the encouragement we give the newbies, it's still scary when we hit our own stalls, even late in the game. I would absolutely recommend getting out there and getting some sunshine, even for a short walk. Not only is exercise stress relief but sometimes just a few minutes away from everything can put things in perspective. I know you are determined and focused on the right things so I have faith that you can and will get to ONEderland!!

Thanks Missy. Yeah, I realize I am at the point that the weight loss will get slow. It's the first time I've gone a whole month without ANY loss, but what I have to remind myself is that no loss is okay because at least it isn't a gain. I'm going to do some gardening tomorrow. Today was too hot, we had a unusual hot day in the 80's today. I'll get out early morning and do some weeding and planting and get back into my walking routine.

Judy, this is going to sound nuts. But I have done this and I recommend it. Give yourself a day to pig out. Try not to do a day with sugar, but let yourself have a day with fats included in generous amounts. Your digestive system will say WTF!? And it will start losing again. As soon as it feels alarmed, it will kick in. This works. Believe me. I could explain it more scientifically and I have on another thread, but just try it for one day, like have a greasy cheeseburger or something else that has a lot of fat in it. Make sure you drink all your water but don't stick to your regular eating plan and your metabolism will notice and jump to attention.

Actually that doesn't sound nuts to me at all. I believe that to be true, kind of shakes things up! So thanks for the reminder. :) Hmmm, now I am craving a cheeseburger! :D

That last bit is tought. I finally got my eating stabilized at 1000 -1100 calories and thinking of bumping it to 1200 as im hungry. Since getting it consistently up I he lost another 6 pounds. Currently losing about half a pound a week. I have only 10 pounds to go and have lost the 70 that the doc said o could expect on the upper end.

In February I lost 1 pound, in March 7 pounds. Stick with it. That being said, mixing things up a bit and having some higher calorie foods over weekend does sometimes seem let your body loose a bit to release a bit more fat, but obviously as long as it doesn't trigger days and days of that sort of eating. Or, you might not necessarily raise calories but switch up the food your are eating. Try some vegetables, plants, recipes and combinations of foods that you don't normally have. Mix up what time of the day your eating. I don't know how much time between your last meal of the day and the first meal of the next is, but experiment with giving your stomach a break for a few extra hours between night and day.

You've done and amazing job. Keep it going, and don't be afraid to experiment, as long as it doesn't lead to long term bad food choices.

Back