• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Movies

Bill sperry

Has anyone been to the movies lately since they’re open now ? What have you’ve seen? I’ve gone quite a few times I saw Nobody, The Marksman, Quiet Place 2 and Saturday I saw Cruella which I actually loved. Quiet Place 2 was just ok . Anyone seen any of these or saw another movie to recommend. Tv show wise I like Mare of Easttown and Hacks both on HBO Max . Netflix Shadow and Bones was ok so was Army of the Dead which could have been shorter instead of 2 and a half hours. My favorite movies I’ve been watching over and over again are Tenet and Unhinged with a very over weight Russell Crow . I think he put on the weight just for the movie but it’s pretty cool if you haven’t seen it it’s about Road Rage .

I haven’t been to the movies yet, but have seen Army of the Dead (totally agree that it could have been shorter). We’re planning on going soon for the Hitmans Bodyguards Wife and The Suicide Squad. Going to take the kids to see Jungle Cruise soon also. I want to see Cruella, but will wait until it’s out on Disney+. We did watch Soul and I loved it!

Bill, the only theater release I've seen is TENET, because I'll pay to see anything by Christopher Nolan. And I have a mad crush on JD Washington, just like the one I still have on his dad, Denzel. I've watched it several times, trying to figure out the backpack motif, and I'm still confused.

It's the first time in a long time I've seen a movie with such a strong woman in it. She was able to play both sides of the feminine coin with great cunning. And Elizabeth Debicki is 6'3" or so, making it amazing when she was in charge.

I saw "Flight" with Denzel, which really held up, though it seemed to unravel as the process of the hearings unfolded.

Also, "Queen's Gambit," which tickled my dormant chess-playing bone, and "Godless," two movies co-starring Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who's come a long way since "Love, Actually."

Big disappointment was "The Woman in the Window." What a wasted opportunity for a great film. "7500" with JG Levitt was novel, and I believe 99% of it was shot in the cockpit of the 747 he was co-piloting. I do enjoy him so much, so I rewatched "The Lookout," thoroughly appreciating it again. Standing out again was Matthew Goode, who was also in "Godless" and did a great arc on "The Good Wife."

Big disappointment: "Portrait of a Lady on Fire." Just boring, derivative pap. Bigger disappointment: "The Trial of the Chicago Seven." Aaron Sorkin should be banned from writing shit he didn't witness firsthand. I lived through that era in a very personal way. It's sacred ground to me.

I have a few more, but that's enough for now. How about you?

I've been revisiting films to see how they stack up and in many cases, the secondary cast members catch my eye, because they've gone on to better things.

I haven’t been to the movies yet, but have seen Army of the Dead (totally agree that it could have been shorter). We’re planning on going soon for the Hitmans Bodyguards Wife and The Suicide Squad. Going to take the kids to see Jungle Cruise soon also. I want to see Cruella, but will wait until it’s out on Disney+. We did watch Soul and I loved it!
Oh yeah can’t wait to see the Hitmans bodyguards wife and Jungle Cruise especially since I used to be a captain on yen Jungle Cruise at Disneyland around 1971 I think

Bill, the only theater release I've seen is TENET, because I'll pay to see anything by Christopher Nolan. And I have a mad crush on JD Washington, just like the one I still have on his dad, Denzel. I've watched it several times, trying to figure out the backpack motif, and I'm still confused.

It's the first time in a long time I've seen a movie with such a strong woman in it. She was able to play both sides of the feminine coin with great cunning. And Elizabeth Debicki is 6'3" or so, making it amazing when she was in charge.

I saw "Flight" with Denzel, which really held up, though it seemed to unravel as the process of the hearings unfolded.

Also, "Queen's Gambit," which tickled my dormant chess-playing bone, and "Godless," two movies co-starring Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who's come a long way since "Love, Actually."

Big disappointment was "The Woman in the Window." What a wasted opportunity for a great film. "7500" with JG Levitt was novel, and I believe 99% of it was shot in the cockpit of the 747 he was co-piloting. I do enjoy him so much, so I rewatched "The Lookout," thoroughly appreciating it again. Standing out again was Matthew Goode, who was also in "Godless" and did a great arc on "The Good Wife."

Big disappointment: "Portrait of a Lady on Fire." Just boring, derivative pap. Bigger disappointment: "The Trial of the Chicago Seven." Aaron Sorkin should be banned from writing shit he didn't witness firsthand. I lived through that era in a very personal way. It's sacred ground to me.

I've been revisiting films to see how they stack up and in many cases, the secondary cast members catch my eye, because they've gone on to better things.
Besides Tenet which i liked a lot I’ve only seen The Trial of the Chicago Seven ( just thought it was ok nothing special) and Queens Gambit was good haven’t bseen the other movies you mentioned. Started watching Woman in the Window but bored the hell out of me.I really liked Promising wrong Woman and was rooting for it to win the best picture at the so called Oscars . Ugh just get rid of the oscars already nobody watches any more.I had high hopes for Wonder Woman 2 but it just sucked . like I said I saw Cruella twice actually at the movies then I fond it on Fire Stick and I loved it has a really good soundtrack too. That’s all I can think of for now

So totally cool knowing someone that actually piloted a Disney ride Captain Bill! Disneyworld was one of my fave places to visit in my younger adult years.
Yeah I worked there for about 6 months while going to college it was fun . Back then we got to make up our own jokes as long as they were clean , Now they have a script they go by .

Saw Queens Gambit it was ok ,The woman in The Window Boring,Trial of The Chicago 7 I thought was pretty good to watch once nothing special. I liked Flight thought the Lookout was boring . Haven’t seen the other movies you mentioned. Promising Young Woman was another movie I liked and i forgot my man Jason Stathoms movie The Wrath of Man I really liked too . He hasn’t dissappointed yet with his movies . That’s all I can think of now . But Cruella man I loved it 2 and a half hours and not a boring or slow part in be whole movie and a great soundtrack ,Ike and Tina Turner,The Doors ,Suzy Quattro,Blondie,The Rolling Stones ,The Clash, Deep Purple , Iggy and the Stooges and more it was just a fun movie knda Punk Rock . Anyway thats all I can think of for now

Karen, so great to have another movie buff aboard! Bill & I have had long-running discussions about movies & TV for as long as we've been here. It's lovely to have a kindred spirit!

Bill, I liked "The Lookout" especially for its depiction of a person functioning with a traumatic brain injury. I loved the way he was able to flip backward through his notepad to defeat the bad guy and rescue his friend. Really well-written by Scott Frank, Who was also responsible for "Godless."

And to me, the all-female shoot-out at the end was refreshing and real, with Merritt Wever leading the way. It was kinda sad she had such a relatively small part in "Marriage Story." She has great range. I was never interested in "Nurse Jackie," and I make a point of not starting to watch a show until I hear a lot about it for a few seasons. I already can't watch all the great movies and shows on my list.

Also, I dont have a big cable package, so I rely on Amazoo and Notflix (yes, that's how I spell 'em) and still regret it half the time.

Can't watch violent films anymore. 9/11 really made terrorist attack plots a nonstarter for me. But I did catch a rerun of "The Taking of Pelham 123" one Saturday. Mixed bag. In some ways, such a cartoon. In others, so realistic, very much like "Dog Day Afternoon." I remember standing in a line around the block to see that one in LA when it came out.

I was thinking about how my son and I talk about movies he should/has seen. It's hard to surprise him with one because he inherited the bug from me. Thought what my parents might have said to me. Then I remembered, they didn't even have TV until after I was born. The first TV show I ever watched was The Pinky Lee Show in 1953 or so. He had big-bottomed housewives running back and forth between chairs sitting on balloons to pop them! What an evolution.

My dad won $25 first prize because of our 1962 Christmas display. He took the 10 of us out for Chinese food and a movie--"How the West Was Won," in technicolor!

Welcome, Karen!

Karen, so great to have another movie buff aboard! Bill & I have had long-running discussions about movies & TV for as long as we've been here. It's lovely to have a kindred spirit!

Bill, I liked "The Lookout" especially for its depiction of a person functioning with a traumatic brain injury. I loved the way he was able to flip backward through his notepad to defeat the bad guy and rescue his friend. Really well-written by Scott Frank, Who was also responsible for "Godless."

And to me, the all-female shoot-out at the end was refreshing and real, with Merritt Wever leading the way. It was kinda sad she had such a relatively small part in "Marriage Story." She has great range. I was never interested in "Nurse Jackie," and I make a point of not starting to watch a show until I hear a lot about it for a few seasons. I already can't watch all the great movies and shows on my list.

Also, I dont have a big cable package, so I rely on Amazoo and Notflix (yes, that's how I spell 'em) and still regret it half the time.

Can't watch violent films anymore. 9/11 really made terrorist attack plots a nonstarter for me. But I did catch a rerun of "The Taking of Pelham 123" one Saturday. Mixed bag. In some ways, such a cartoon. In others, so realistic, very much like "Dog Day Afternoon." I remember standing in a line around the block to see that one in LA when it came out.

I was thinking about how my son and I talk about movies he should/has seen. It's hard to surprise him with one because he inherited the bug from me. Thought what my parents might have said to me. Then I remembered, they didn't even have TV until after I was born. The first TV show I ever watched was The Pinky Lee Show in 1953 or so. He had big-bottomed housewives running back and forth between chairs sitting on balloons to pop them! What an evolution.

My dad won $25 first prize because of our 1962 Christmas display. He took the 10 of us out for Chinese food and a movie--"How the West Was Won," in technicolor!

Welcome, Karen!
Thank you Diane. I used to go to movies regularly many years ago, but now I am addicted to TCM. All those great movies from the 30s - 50s just speak to me, plus I grew up on musicals (Gene Kelly still makes me swoon!). My apartment bldg gives us basic cable for $15/monthly, plus $10 more for the TCM package. No internet so no streaming unfortunately.

Bill I'm with you about most rap music, but this movie is based on Lin Manuel-Miranda's 1st big Broadway play, so I think I can handle it as long as it includes some singing & dancing.

Back