• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Multivitamin tolerance

Beccs2011

I have the brand Bariatric Choice for my multivitamin. It is a capsule I can open and sprinkle over or in what I am consuming. This is just until I am able to start taking pills again.

My question is 1) does anyone else take/have taken these? And 2) how did you tolerate it? I find the taste to be very disgusting.

Beccs, you might want to stand in the vitamin aisle and read the labels. In many cases, I've found no difference between adult and childrens' chewables. What's on the label is important, and a chewable is only supposed to supplement the nutrition you get from food.

I've been taking Trader Joe's chewables for decades. My bloodwork is out of sight.

The secret to supplements is, Always read the label. Post-op, people need to take two chewables instead of one. That only applies to the multivitamin. I also take a full complement of additional vitamins and minerals. Paired with my prescriptions, I get a full day of necessary dietary and cognitive essentials. This works for me!

Personally, I think bariatric formulations ar a scam. Just read the labels and save yourself the money.

I have the brand Bariatric Choice for my multivitamin. It is a capsule I can open and sprinkle over or in what I am consuming. This is just until I am able to start taking pills again.

My question is 1) does anyone else take/have taken these? And 2) how did you tolerate it? I find the taste to be very disgusting.
I also take individual meds, target off brand. My bloodwork was amazing today. Also some pills are not ment to be opened and taken that way. Also talk to your team. I know post surgery there were some vitamins I had to take until a few weeks after.

Reactions: Meg
I take OptiSource Post Bariatric Chewable Vitamins. You chew 4 a day. They're orange flavor so they're yummy. They're $30 a month on Amazon, although my program sells them cheaper, so I grab them there when I see my doctor. I don't know how you could manage to buy individual vitamin supplements for less than that. I have no vitamin deficiencies.

I take OptiSource Post Bariatric Chewable Vitamins. You chew 4 a day. They're orange flavor so they're yummy. They're $30 a month on Amazon, although my program sells them cheaper, so I grab them there when I see my doctor. I don't know how you could manage to buy individual vitamin supplements for less than that. I have no vitamin deficiencies.

Probably depends on what you take. My multi vits last at last just over 2 months at $8 a bottle. My B is $12 for 4 months, D is $13 for 3 months and the calcium is the most expensive because I can't usually find a store brand in stock at $10 for a month and a half. That equals out to be less than $16 a month.

I also take individual meds, target off brand. My bloodwork was amazing today. Also some pills are not ment to be opened and taken that way. Also talk to your team. I know post surgery there were some vitamins I had to take until a few weeks after.
Luckily I did soeak with them at my first week PostOp appointment and they gave me many more other suggestions. I now have another one that is chewable, not the best flavor, but MUCH more tolerable than the open capsule ones. Lol

I have found my vitamins hit my stomach very hard now that I’m taking them. My nut and doctors all forbid chewable ones as you don’t apparently get the full amount... which sucks cause I’d rather have chewable :-( I however have found crushing them makes it worse to take though.

I use Trader Joe's high potency chewables. They have a lemony flavor, sort of. I used to enjoy them but later, not so much. I've never heard of any physician suggest any vitamins that aren't chewable. My blood panels always come up great.

I’m about to break the rule and get gummies honestly, I did read some brands aren’t good but overall I don’t know why they beat it into use to not use gummie or chewable. I noticed on these forums I was advised against a lot that no one else was :-(

RE: gummies, the material from my program says that none are complete. I’m not sure whether that’s strictly true...seems kind of a sweeping statement to make. My thought is that if you read the ingredients and it’s good then...it’s good.

I was given a choice of 4 brands of multivitamins primarily chewable. I am taking bariatric advantage chewable bottle shows different fruits on it but it only has one flavor which I would call mixed fruit. Tolerable but not as fun as the vita fusion gummies I used to take Before surgery.

I take the Celebrate multivitamin with iron. It’s a capsule and I’ve had no issue swallowing them and they don’t bother my stomach. I also just switched over from Celebrate Calcium soft chews to their Calcium citrate tablets. So far - no issues. I just don’t like chewables, I guess.

I’m about to break the rule and get gummies honestly, I did read some brands aren’t good but overall I don’t know why they beat it into use to not use gummie or chewable. I noticed on these forums I was advised against a lot that no one else was :-(
Gummi vits dont break down and absorb like a chewable does.

I’m almost 3 months post op. I started taking the multivitamin capsules about 2 weeks post op. I just recently switched over to a calcium tablet about 3 weeks ago. Haven’t had any issues.
Capsules, which are made of some kind of gel that hardens to be a receptacle for a therapeutic powder or liquid, were contraindicated for me. I was told the stomach no longer made enough acid to break the material down. Same with the enteric coating on tablets, which is the mechanism manufacturers use to describe the contents as "timed release, or "sustained" or "slow." The amount of the contents absorbed into the stomach and small intestine can be drastically affected. That's why dietitians and surgeons generally advise using chewables or liquids post-op.

I was taking these huge fish oil caps coated in thick gel. To make certain I got the benefit, I would hold them in my cheeks until they softened enough that I could taste the fish oil (UGH!), then I'd wash them down with plenty of water so they'd continue to dissolve in my stomach.

I also crushed (when appropriate) tabs and sometimes mixed the contents in a spoonful of yogurt or thinned honey to get hem down without barfing!

Over time i managed to locate the best possible, most easily digested supplements and take them in four doses a day, along with required prescriptions. My doctor is aware of my needs and prescribes the best form of meds to help me easily digest them.

My metabolic panels are always super, which makes me proud and happy. My joy offsets any inconvenience. And Job One is to avoid malnutrition, which is a major concern post-operatively.

The trade-off is completely worth it.

I am five weeks out. I couldn't stand the taste of my chewables so I went to Amazon and ordered a liquid multivit. I would read the label and make sure it has the vits/minerals that you need. It's a little costly but I will probably switch to chewable and then tablets months later.

Back