• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My eyes @ my stomach no longer match.

Hello everyone!

So I’m about three weeks in after having my surgery. Mine was based off of my diabetes. So yesterday I had a Zoom meeting with the nutritionist. I was honest, I said, even though during the liquid diet of the past three weeks, I did try to have a little something here and there not knowing that I can’t have a bagel. I can’t have an English muffin. Those were the most easiest to reach for & they just seem to feels like, my throat muscles are no longer connected to my stomach muscles so sometimes when I eat something I have a gag reflex. My eyes want it & I remember enjoying food before my surgery but now after my surgery is like there’s nothing I want to reach out for or miss to the point of that ultimate satisfaction of what food meant to me before the surgery. I am hungry deep deep down in my belly but now, my inside have more of a say on what goes in than my brain or my eyes. right now the nutritionist wants me to do 3 to 5 small meals 1 tablespoon so I did see a recipe of turning cottage cheese into ice cream or something like that so I have the cottage cheese so I can still get the protein in but my gag reflex just thinking about it is like no no no no no but I’m gonna make it work. I’m gonna make it do what it do.

I feel this, I keep thinking I need to eat, then take a bite and it's like, nope. Not now, not today, not this. Lol, the only foods I know I can reliably eat are yogurt, cottage cheese, and smoked salmon. For veggies I'm eating tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers. I'm also doing well with mandarin oranges, blueberries, and grapes. My labs are good, I feel decent, added some carbs per my nutritionist to support my activities.
It's gonna get easier, this is just the beginning and you're getting to know your new tummy and learning to work together again.

Oh I GET YA! It is so early on, and it is sort of shocking how little you can eat or even want to eat. I ate even 6 meals at that point. You do what you can do get as much protein as possible. If you can only do a tablespoon, then figure out how often you need to do that. Coz we are all so different. What about shakes instead, just for now. You get to go so easy right now. Did they give you a list of foods for phase 1. Bread is def not on it. LOL. Learning the tummy is so weird. I'm 3 months out and still not sure what some sensations mean. You got this!

Back