• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My first real dinner

Kim M

It felt good to eat food that I enjoy and ate before surgery. I had 2 oz. of filet of sole with some mild spices and 1 oz of cauliflower. I wasn't able to finish the fish or veggie, but it sure tasted good. I felt full and I stopped eating. Wow like norman people do. It was great. I felt full for about an hour so I hope I didn't overdo it. Learning as I go. When I look in my fridge, I have containers of all kinds of food. I live solo so there is always leftovers which is cool for during the week when I come home from work and don't want to cook. My fear of eating is getting less. I guess trying new things will help me learn what I can and cannot tolerate now. Just wanted to share some positive news.

Hi Kim, It is a wonderful feeling isn't it, just to sit down and eat a small meal and get full while not even finishing everything. I don't think you ate to much, we are supposed to feel full just not uncomfortable. The strangest thing for me was looking at the portions of food, on my little tea or salad plate and thinking "this is going to fill me up?" and then when I finished up with food on the plate I thought "WOW it works!!!!" it will take a while to get used to it but eventually your brain and new stomach get in synch and portioning gets easier:D. If I wait to long to eat though my old brain Kicks in and I over portion and end up with a plate full of left overs and an uncomfortable belly:(. Make sure to keep a food log to help you remember what you can and can't tolerate. :cool: Tom

KIM-Congratulations on starting your solid food phase. It took me a long time to adjust to solid foods, especially meat and even fish. Tom gave good advice to eat until comfortably full otherwise your pouch will hurt. You don't have to finish everything on your plate. I too live alone and know what you mean when you say you have a fridge full of leftovers. My dog, Molly, is also eating well these days since she gets whatever is left on my plate mixed in with her regular food. She even eats tofu and lettuce now *LOL* In fact, I had to put her on a diet 2 months ago because she gained almost 5 lbs. *LOL

Back