• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My First Stall??

VSG date 4/5/23.
Week 1 - down 15 lbs.
Week 2 - down another 15 lbs.
Great!

I've lost nothing (nor gained) since then. I am fully aware that stalls are absolutely going to happen. I have no illusions about that. However, I was not expecting it to happen so fast.
Anyone else get hit with a stall so soon post op?
More curious than anything.

My first three months were -35, -25, -15. Then I went on to stall for months, finally losing my 115 at 14 months out. That's MY metabolism. Everyone is different and you can't look at stories like mine or anyone else here and think you should match or do better.

There is one thing worth noting, I think. We have a tendency to hold on to everything tight, believing that control is key to losing or maintaining. But that's the worst thing you can do. If you want your weight to change you need to make serious changes on a daily basis. Eat a different sort of protein every day, decrease or increase your carbs, salt or sugars. Alternate between raw and cooked. Give your body something to do. But be loose about it.

Of course, increasing activity is also important, but don't go nuts. Just wake up your metabolism by doing things differently as you eat different foods.

People who go on fasts and strict 500-calorie diets can lose a lot of weight quickly, but it's been scientifically shown they do damage to different organs and overall health. Practice moderation and make sure everything is weighed and measured. Crash diets also ricochet back on your physical signalling devices, like energy or metabolism. And because nothing changed, you'll gain it all back and probably more.

You can awaken your own awareness by keeping a journal of everything you eat, every day. And make sure you weigh and measure everything, including your own body. Understand nutritional balance by learning what proteins are, what carbs are, etc.

But you're not really on a diet from food. You're on a diet from negative thinking and from allowing obsession and so many other little behaviors that control you. Give yourself permission to eat foods you like, but make sure you're also in charge of how much and when. A "diet" is not a punishment; it's a friend you've invited along for your self-improvement journey.

once you have everything figured out, relax. Just follow the plan and don't worry about it.

Attachments

• the only diwr.png
    the only diwr.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 32
Back