• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My first trip to the grocery store .... I'm overwhelmed !

KathyLev

I had my surgery 6 days ago and just finished up the clear liquid stage . I went to the grocery store to buy some soft foods and as I walked in the store , I think every emotion I had popped into my head . Happiness, sadness, fear, anxiety you name it. I realize now I have to use strategy - get the most nutrition into the smallest space ..LOL I have 69 years worth of bad eating habits to break . I guess better late than never !

Hi Kathy, I go through the same emotions on each grocery trip and I'm 4 months out from surgery. If you can, go in with a shopping list, and try your best to stick to it and not walk down all the aisles. At my grocery, they have a display of pretzel chips and pita chips right in the fruits and veggies area, and it gives me all sorts of similar emotions. I try to focus on being grateful for my surgery and mindful that I must focus on getting the biggest bang for my buck with nutrition with my much smaller stomach.

I make a weekly menu and a grocery list. (On a spreadsheet cuz I'm a freak lol) My husband used to tease me about it, before he had the surgery. But it's a great way to make sure that you stick to your plan. If I could make good food decisions on the fly, I wouldn't have needed WLS, right?

It is overwhelming in the beginning. But, I have tried new foods and cooking techniques. Which has changed my entire palate.

I had my surgery 6 days ago and just finished up the clear liquid stage . I went to the grocery store to buy some soft foods and as I walked in the store , I think every emotion I had popped into my head . Happiness, sadness, fear, anxiety you name it. I realize now I have to use strategy - get the most nutrition into the smallest space ..LOL I have 69 years worth of bad eating habits to break . I guess better late than never !
My doctor gave me lists of approved foods. Right now I am on soft foods. Protein shakes. Sugar free milk, yogurt,pudding and jello. Sugar free oat milk and most types of soup , decaf coffee and stevia. I can’t tolerate solid meat it just won’t go down even after chewing, anyway I take pictures of these food lists post them on my phone. When I go to the groceries, I just select those items and I’m done and gone. My grocery bill is cut in half and I’m out of there in half the time. Make shopping pleasure able and fun but correct for you as the doctor recommends.

Here is a link toDiane's post of eating plan:

Here is a link to another members complete post op instructions. I felt these were VERY thorough. I think hers have to be downloaded tho.

Or are you meaning actual menus and grocery lists? Cuz I can do that too lol

Back