• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Gallbladder. What was once perfect is now showing it sludge...

Stuck a total of 5 times, the first go round, to start an IV for the nuclear tracer, spent 3 hours under the scanner, taken out asked to walk for an hour THEN I had to endure several more sticks in a failed attempt to start a new line after he blew my vein and another hour under the scanner to find out my once pristine and perfect gallbladder decided to flip the world off...

I was not hungry before all of this started now I will not touch any food. My pouch has this gnawing feeling.. Not like ulcers or irritation just a gnawing, nauseous feeling and gaseous that is just yucky (OMG I make my pug look, smell and sound like a fart fairy with the glitter, laughing unicorns and rainbow scent).

Even my protein milkshakes make my pouch feel really yucky....

My nurse called to let me know my gallbladder is occluded.. Ohh yeay, happy, happy, joy, joy. NOT..

I knew this was a very real chance of this happening, so not to much of a surprise. I just did not think it would happen 7 weeks out from surgery.

Stuck a total of 5 times, the first go round, to start an IV for the nuclear tracer, spent 3 hours under the scanner, taken out asked to walk for an hour THEN I had to endure several more sticks in a failed attempt to start a new line after he blew my vein and another hour under the scanner to find out my once pristine and perfect gallbladder decided to flip the world off...

I was not hungry before all of this started now I will not touch any food. My pouch has this gnawing feeling.. Not like ulcers or irritation just a gnawing, nauseous feeling and gaseous that is just yucky (OMG I make my pug look, smell and sound like a fart fairy with the glitter, laughing unicorns and rainbow scent).

My nurse called to let me know my gallbladder is occluded.. Ohh yeay, happy, happy, joy, joy. NOT..

I knew this was a very real chance of this happening, so not to much of a surprise. I just did not think it would happen 7 weeks out from surgery.

Oh my, so what does that all mean? Is there something they can do? is there a medicine to help? Or is it simply removal?

I went into surgery with the possibility of the gall bladder being removed at the same time. However, my surgeon opted not to do so. What he did do was repair a huge hiatal hernia that I had no prior knowledge knowing I had it. This doubled my operating time. Perhaps, he simply said enough time under anesthesia and ended it there. I don't know. I will be asking more about the gall bladder on the follow up.

When I had my surgery my gallbladder was prefect, LOL so he left it in...

Now with the rapid weight loss apparently my gallbladder is not able to keep up with all of the fat and such..

Most likely it will be removed by next week, I will know by tomorrow morning which way we are going...

I can say it is making me rather ill and it does hurt a bit.

I am thirsty but even sipping water makes me fell yucky.

When I had my surgery my gallbladder was prefect, LOL so he left it in...

Now with the rapid weight loss apparently my gallbladder is not able to keep up with all of the fat and such..

Most likely it will be removed by next week, I will know by tomorrow morning which way we are going...

I can say it is making me rather ill and it does hurt a bit.

I am thirsty but even sipping water makes me fell yucky.

I am so sorry. But at least there is a solution; get it removed. It does mean another visit and procedure; oh heck.

I definitely will be talking to my surgeon about this as well.

Ralph

Sorry to hear this Stinkerbelle
I had mine removed years before surgery after one of my failed attempts to loose weight. I think my loss that time was around 100 pounds. I was ill like you are and hadn't even had the surgery. I put it off so long that water yes water made me ill. I hope you are able to get it removed quickly. I remember being so sick I saw stars after the violent sickness hit. Trust me on this don't wait. It will not get better and the surgery recovery was easier than the RNY.
If you can still handle water try sipping (by sipping I mean make a cup last an hour) broth with protein powder.

Wishing you quick recovery

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I had mine removed years ago but, that is not to say that I would not have symptoms I was told that this is a real possibility. Will they be removing it with a laparoscopy? My daughter had hers removed that way and did really well. She was in pain for a few days kept comfortable with pain meds. Her most discomfort was what you may have already dealt with after your wls gas. From all of the gas they put in your abdominal cavity. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I had mine removed years ago but, that is not to say that I would not have symptoms I was told that this is a real possibility. Will they be removing it with a laparoscopy? My daughter had hers removed that way and did really well. She was in pain for a few days kept comfortable with pain meds. Her most discomfort was what you may have already dealt with after your wls gas. From all of the gas they put in your abdominal cavity. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Thank you Tillie,

My WLS surgeon will be doing this as well. I have an appointment with him @ 1 today to go over the HIDA Scan results. As soon as I know how we will be proceeding I'll let everyone know.
He will use the Da Vinci robot to get this bad girl out... I did so well with the WLS this one is kind of scaring me a bit.

Thank you Tillie,

My WLS surgeon will be doing this as well. I have an appointment with him @ 1 today to go over the HIDA Scan results. As soon as I know how we will be proceeding I'll let everyone know.
He will use the Da Vinci robot to get this bad girl out... I did so well with the WLS this one is kind of scaring me a bit.

Hi,

He probably used the Da Vinci robot for your WLS too.

My Doc did.

Also, this is a much simpler procedure and will not take as long to do. Your WLS was more complex.

You will be fine.

I have had two procedures now with the Da Vinci robot. This makes laproscopic even more safe and minimally evasive.

Ralph

Hi,

He probably used the Da Vinci robot for your WLS too.

My Doc did.

Also, this is a much simpler procedure and will not take as long to do. Your WLS was more complex.

You will be fine.

I have had two procedures now with the Da Vinci robot. This makes laproscopic even more safe and minimally evasive.

Ralph

Yeppers, My RNY was done using the Da Vinci. I was in and out in 45 minutes. I had virgin / non surgical belly and intestines so he was able to get in, get'er done with no problems, thankfully, and get out. All in 45 minutes..

He was the first surgeon in the world to do 1000 RNY and Sleeve procedures using Da Vinci, now he is well over more than 2k...
I am blessed to have him as my surgeon and I am comfortable with him and his robotic team.

I just anesthesia, period. It scares the mess out of me.

Yeppers, My RNY was done using the Da Vinci. I was in and out in 45 minutes. I had virgin / non surgical belly and intestines so he was able to get in, get'er done with no problems, thankfully, and get out. All in 45 minutes..

He was the first surgeon in the world to do 1000 RNY and Sleeve procedures using Da Vinci, now he is well over more than 2k...
I am blessed to have him as my surgeon and I am comfortable with him and his robotic team.

I just anesthesia, period. It scares the mess out of me.

I always demand that the anesthesiologist is a full fledged Doctor and preferably the best on staff.

Ralph

Well it is official, My gallbladder will be making its grand exit Friday January 24, 2014.

The booger is so loaded up not one bit of the tracer was able to even creep into it... So it is now lights out for that appendage, LOL.. :)

I may end up having to be admitted after surgery due to the pain, nausea and the fact I am having issues with food and protein shakes + it appears as though I have some swelling and such going on..

Well it is official, My gallbladder will be making its grand exit Friday January 24, 2014.

The booger is so loaded up not one bit of the tracer was able to even creep into it... So it is now lights out for that appendage, LOL.. :)

I may end up having to be admitted after surgery due to the pain, nausea and the fact I am having issues with food and protein shakes + it appears as though I have some swelling and such going on..

I wish you good fortune.

Hopefully, after this surgery things calm down for you.

Ralph

Wow. It's good that they found out quickly what is going on. now they can take care of the problem and get you feeling better.

I'm so sorry to hear about your gallbladder. How did it go at the doctors today? My prayers and best wishes are for you. Love & Hugs,
Kt

I'm so sorry to hear about your gallbladder. How did it go at the doctors today? My prayers and best wishes are for you. Love & Hugs,
Kt

Surgery Friday @ 1pm. I may be admitted do to the pain, nausea and inability to eat... My surgeon is concerned with the pain, irritation and possible swelling of my surrounding organs and pouch from my now dead and loaded gallbladder.

LOL, who Knows.. If I am up and running right out of surgery like I was with my RNY they will probably load me up right then and there and send me packing :D to the car with my husband... LOL

Well as my Mom used to say "crap on a broom stick, that really blows". I know you'll do just fine you have an incredibly positive go get this done attitude and a strong will. I'm just so sorry you get to go through all this pain and worry. How's your husband holding up and the kids (big to little, they're still kids). You hang in there, I'll be waiting to read your post from the recovery room LOL. ;-)

Well as my Mom used to say "crap on a broom stick, that really blows". I know you'll do just fine you have an incredibly positive go get this done attitude and a strong will. I'm just so sorry you get to go through all this pain and worry. How's your husband holding up and the kids (big to little, they're still kids). You hang in there, I'll be waiting to read your post from the recovery room LOL. ;-)

Hubby is my rock... The boys are good my oldest though is driving me a bit nutty because he is a worry wart, LOL...

Hey the pain is just another challenge to work through at least that malfunctioning trouble maker will be gone... I am so sick of being nauseous, gassy and in pain that it will be a great relief.

Back