• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Local Support Group - kinda scared me

Bonnie Jo

When I went to my local support group for the first time, most of the attendees were post surgery and each one looked kinda sickly. So the meeting started and we all introduced ourselves. Then a woman came to do a presentation on athletic wear, socks and shoes...when the presentation ended, so did our (hour long) meeting, There was no time to even ask any questions of each other. I was very disappointed as I had to take off work early to go, and cancel my evening classes. The support group meets once every third weds., of the month. It was a far drive and a long walk in horrible heat. I probably had 15 questions and was now really concerned that I would look sickly post op and seriously would rather be plump and healthy looking v.s. all gray and drawn and weak. I don't know how I could even ask what was wrong without appearing rude, but they all looked dehydrated and malnourished. Well obviously I'm not the "picture of health," but these "post op" people had no color in their faces and no spark in their eyes...should I be concerned here?? Wondering if I'm making the right decision.

Well, thanks for joining our Group! You can get most of your questions answered here, although sometimes questions will go unanswered for weeks, and then all of a sudden the question turns into a hot topic. So be sure to check back often.

When I went to my local support group for the first time, most of the attendees were post surgery and each one looked kinda sickly. So the meeting started and we all introduced ourselves. Then a woman came to do a presentation on athletic wear, socks and shoes...when the presentation ended, so did our (hour long) meeting, There was no time to even ask any questions of each other. I was very disappointed as I had to take off work early to go, and cancel my evening classes. The support group meets once every third weds., of the month. It was a far drive and a long walk in horrible heat. I probably had 15 questions and was now really concerned that I would look sickly post op and seriously would rather be plump and healthy looking v.s. all gray and drawn and weak. I don't know how I could even ask what was wrong without appearing rude, but they all looked dehydrated and malnourished. Well obviously I'm not the "picture of health," but these "post op" people had no color in their faces and no spark in their eyes...should I be concerned here?? Wondering if I'm making the right decision.
Oh no that's bad. I have not been to a support meeting yet. I am almost finished with my Dr appointments. Hoping for a November surgery. I don't like meetings but I am going to try it at least once. There is a lot of info on here. The people seem really nice. Hopefully if you go to another meeting it will be much better.

Hello to all!

Bonnie Jo, just want to tell you I had my surgery in June of 2013 and I never felt better. I always take my vitamins, every single day. My nutritionist told me that missing taking your vitamins and calcium and other nutrients can cause a person to end up in the hospital. Eating enough protein, and drinking enough fluids is also essential. I felt great the more I lost weight, I actually enjoyed my weight loss journey very much. If you haven't had your gall bladder removed then it's likely that you will have to have it removed because as the fat melts away, the gall bladder sometimes gets ruined. But it was entirely worth it and I had mine removed laparoscopicly, easily done. People that look week, probably aren't taking their vitamins, or maybe not eating right. I followed the diet plan religiously for the first 15 months. Now I can eat anything I want in moderation, and that's easy cause my stomach size was cut way down.

Good luck to all of you!

Cheyenne

D
i they say which procedures they had

This was a gastric sleeve meeting but gastric bypass people had infiltrated - their meeting was in the same room afterwards. So it was kinda hard for me to tell. I've since spoke to my surgeon who discussed nutrition with me and hydration, taking my vitamins, etc...I'm feeling much better about my own outcome. I'm disappointed that this isn't happening as fast as I thought it would. Looks like I won't be scheduled for sleeve surgery until October. I hope you are doing well after your surgery, it's so exciting to finally be on this weight loss journey!

Hello to all!

Bonnie Jo, just want to tell you I had my surgery in June of 2013 and I never felt better. I always take my vitamins, every single day. My nutritionist told me that missing taking your vitamins and calcium and other nutrients can cause a person to end up in the hospital. Eating enough protein, and drinking enough fluids is also essential. I felt great the more I lost weight, I actually enjoyed my weight loss journey very much. If you haven't had your gall bladder removed then it's likely that you will have to have it removed because as the fat melts away, the gall bladder sometimes gets ruined. But it was entirely worth it and I had mine removed laparoscopicly, easily done. People that look week, probably aren't taking their vitamins, or maybe not eating right. I followed the diet plan religiously for the first 15 months. Now I can eat anything I want in moderation, and that's easy cause my stomach size was cut way down.

Good luck to all of you!

Cheyenne
Cheyenne, thanks so much for your encouragement. Looks like you've done fabulously, what a great inspiration you are to all of us! I already had my gall bladder removed years ago, so no worries there. My sugars are now all over the place, so I'm trying to eat better and get the under control as I wait for surgery. My surgeon just signed off on my chart so as soon as insurance approves, I am ready to go! I am very excited and looking forward to a healthy future!

Bonnie Jo. I'm sorry you had such a bad exeeperience. I'm learning a lot more here than in the in person support group. You said your surgery is this month. Have you had it yet? I'm scheduled for gastric bypass on 18th. Nervous as all get out.

Hi Christine. My insurance company denied me because my surgeon doesn't do his surgeries at a "Center of Excellence." I never heard of that. They approved him throughout the last eight months though AND paid his bills for office visits. So I had to pick a different surgeon and redo a lot of my appointments and now have to do training classes. I was very upset at first, but now I think this might be better for me. It seems to be more thorough with more information and support. It just delayed the process by at least four months which had me hysterical at the time. I was surprised at how emotional this has all become for me. I might even change from my decision of the sleeve to gastric bypass. They definitely gave me more to think about. I am more worried about being prepared than anything else. I want everything to be easy and smooth...without me hijacking it at the last minute by not doing something right. I'm worried about the financial end of this now but I am hoping to still have surgery this year, so I don't have to meet another deductible. I am so excited, as I am sure you are. I keep looking at the calendar and planning how much I will weigh in coming months if my surgery is by a certain date... No wonder I am neurotic! I just want to look really hot for my high school 40th reunion which is still two years away. LOL I have started doing some days all liquids and some days under 1000 calories just to see how strong I am. I did ten days straight like that and lost ten pounds. I gained five back when I sabotaged it but plan on repeating the same process and getting more serious. If I can just lose a little before and be more prepared for the liquid diet, that is what scares me the most. So you should be starting your pre-op diet any day now. Let me know how that goes for you and good luck and stay strong. We have come a long way in this process. God Bless!

Wow. What a bummer for you. I do hope you are able to get it done this year. Deductibles just suck. This is my 3rd surgery this year, so I've more than met my deductible. I found that I ate a lot of bad things saying it was ok because I'd never have them again. Even with that and reducing my portion size on a lot of things, I lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks. Now I'm on the protein only shakes for 2 weeks, so I'm anxious to see my weight on Sunday. The shake only part has been very hard. 1 of the 2 flavors I chose is very gross. Plus the pantry full of bad foods is calling out to me and I have to deal with my family cooking and eating normal foods. I'm looking forward to the clear liquid diet the day before surgery. I think about how much weight I'm going to lose, but can't believe it will happen. Let us know what procedure you choose and when your surgery is.

Bonnie Jo, Its very important to have your bariatric surgery done at "Center of Bariatric Excellence" by a physician who is a "Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence"
I read that it can make all the difference of coming through the surgery without any serious complications, and that the statistics for serious problems or worse is almost always from surgeon's who do not specialize in bariatrics and aren't Sugeons of Excellence or have the surgeries done at Centers of Excellence. Thank your insurance company because they want to give you the best chance for a great outcome. When I found my surgeon I did my homework and he hadn't ever lost a patient in over 2,000 barbaric surgeries. He was and is a Surgeon of Excellence and operates at a hospital that's a Center of Excellence. Good luck to you and I wish you the best!!!

Back