• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

JanSV

My Sleeve was done 1/19/18, so today is my 2 week anniversary! My surgery was uneventful and I was home in a day and a half. I have experienced the usual learning curve in discovering how and what to eat, but I have a disadvantage, in that I am lactose intolerant, which means I cannot eat whey protein powder, cream soups or anything with dairy.

The biggest issue I’ve had are the gas pains...the amount of gas and the pain I have experienced has been extreme. I have been eating Gas-X like candy, so I have reduced the gas in my intestinal tract, but still have a lot of gas in my chest cavity. I cannot sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours at a time because of it. I have already spoken to my doctor and am walking every day, So we know this isn’t something more serious. If anyone has any remedies, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group Jan. Congrats on your surgery! What type of protein are you able to use? The bone broth variety? I hope the gas is easing up, it can be so rough in the beginning.

Welcome to the group Jan. Congrats on your surgery! What type of protein are you able to use? The bone broth variety? I hope the gas is easing up, it can be so rough in the beginning.
Thanks, Pixx. I use bone broth in my cooking, and I ordered medical grade GENPRO protein, which is supposed to be OK for lactose intolerance...it will be here in a few days. I also found pre-made Jell-O with 20 g of protein per half cup…called Gelatein. You can find it on Amazon. My daughter found some high-protein soups made by Campbell called YES!

The gas is slightly better than last week, specially since I have gotten the food under better control, but it still will wake me up at night. I just wish there was someway to dissipate it entirely from my chest cavity.

Back