• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My own mental health crisis

Kathi_S

My world has been spinning out of control lately. I cannot even put into words the range of emotions I go through during just one day. My poor husband just holds me and lets me cry or scream, because he knows it isn't me. Today when packing up stuff for thrift shops, I cried for 20 minutes because all of my tie-dye t-shirts were going away.

I went for my routine check with my sleep doctor today and I found out quite a bit, mostly because I cried the whole time, so she had a lot of questions.

She noticed my antidepressant was changed in August. I explained that was because my previous one could not be cut or crushed after bariatric surgery. I did tell her the previous one worked much better. She immediately got on the phone with my bariatric team to find out if I could go back to the other medication, and was told that I could but at a higher dose, due to absorption issues. So a substantial part of my problem was medication! This is why I'm telling this, I knew I was spinning out of control, but I had forgotten that my medications had to be changed prior to surgery, and did not think to ask when they could be changed back.

I called my psychiatrist and asked for the change to be made. After talking with him for a while he asked me if I wanted to be hospitalized. I really wanted to say yes, that is how crazy I feel, but I I told him that I would not hurt myself or anyone else. He said he'd make the medication change and call me later.

Another issue I have been having are multiple central sleep apnea events every night. She made an adjustment to my machine, but I have to go back next month to get checked.

She wants me to stay on the prozasin at night for sleep and nightmares.

My bariatric team ran a full set of labs, so hopefully all will be well there.

I was so happy to be on less prescription meds after surgery, it really never occurred to me to check the ones I had to change for surgery to make sure they were doing the job. So many things were going on in my life, I just thought it was me not dealing well with things. Hopefully I might see a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Kathi, we've been following your horror stories. We support you. You're a valued member here. Please lean on us. What a great guy your husband must be. I know you're powerless over the human stressors in your life. I hope you understand how powerful you are with us, always ready to reach out and share. All will pass, eventually, but for now, I hope you can feel how beloved you are here and to your friends and family.

Isn't it sad how quickly we are to blame ourselves for spiraling out of control? I am so glad that your sleep doctor really took the time to look into what could be causing your issues. I hope this is the change that you need. It's been heart wrenching to hear of your struggles, so I can't imagine how hard it's been to live with them. I hope the medication change and the awareness of your team will get you feeling like yourself again soon. <3

Thank you for opening up & sharing with us. You may be able to help the rest of us benefit from your experiences, esp about the med levels. I had just had my antidepressant changed to once a day extended release just prior to WLS, and luckily my (bariatric experienced) pcp reassured me after surgery that absorption wouldn't be affected by surgery.

You are such an incredible person that is truly beloved, as the others have already mentioned. Please continue your self-care. Best of luck! ❤❤

Back