• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My WLS journey so far

Jniz

Hello some of you know that I had my RNY surgery on 8/17 in Oregon. I consider myself lucky that I was able to get the surgery and was already 5 months late due to COVID I was the only elective surgery of the day. Everything went well and since so many people on this site told me to sip and walk that is what I did.

The nurses that were on duty the day of my surgery made the comment he’s doing great. I found out that meant If I needed anything I need to hit the call button. The only thing I really needed was to use the restroom. I usually had someone poke their head in the door and said it would be at least 10 minutes and it was more like 30. They are simply overwhelmed due to COVID. The morning after surgery my Dr stopped by and checked on me and his nurse stayed behind after he left. My nurse was asking what time I would be discharged the day after surgery. My room nurse walked in and said 9 or 9:30 AM and my bariatric nurse was surprised. I did not have any pain and would like to think everything was done according to protocol. Please consider getting your COVID shot if you haven't!!!

I felt like everything was going fine after my wife took me home. I don’t like to take pain meds so I had my wife pick up some quick dissolve Tylenol. I made the comment this stuff taste like pixie dust. I had about 2 days of extreme gut pain after taking the Tylenol but the Dr. said some people do fine with it (it has sugar so be careful). It was rough but things are much better now. Despite what everyone told me about how surgery changes things I was surprised. A definite paradigm shift in eating and drinking for me. My wife had the same surgery 2 months ago and it helped prepare me but we all go through our own journey.

Our family has a cabin out in the woods and I went there for a few days last week. Cell reception is spotty and it is a good place to unplug and relax. I realize that the loss of my comfort foods was going to be harder than I realized. Now I do know this may not be forever but if I want long term success there has to be a permanent shift in my food intake. I know that I can count on the fine folks from this site to help me on my journey!

So great to be able to read all the post on here and see how people are doing on their journey!!

J

I am so happy everything is going so well for you. I had mine on July 12th, and one thing that helped my stomach was to stay on full liquids an extra week (3 wks total) so I could baby my new RnY stomach, and I stayed on pureed 3 wks also for the same reason. Now I feel ready for soft foods for 2 wks before going back to a "regular" diet.

I think going away for a few days was a great to begin connecting your brain to your new body needs. Good luck James!!!

Hello some of you know that I had my RNY surgery on 8/17 in Oregon. I consider myself lucky that I was able to get the surgery and was already 5 months late due to COVID I was the only elective surgery of the day. Everything went well and since so many people on this site told me to sip and walk that is what I did.

The nurses that were on duty the day of my surgery made the comment he’s doing great. I found out that meant If I needed anything I need to hit the call button. The only thing I really needed was to use the restroom. I usually had someone poke their head in the door and said it would be at least 10 minutes and it was more like 30. They are simply overwhelmed due to COVID. The morning after surgery my Dr stopped by and checked on me and his nurse stayed behind after he left. My nurse was asking what time I would be discharged the day after surgery. My room nurse walked in and said 9 or 9:30 AM and my bariatric nurse was surprised. I did not have any pain and would like to think everything was done according to protocol. Please consider getting your COVID shot if you haven't!!!

I felt like everything was going fine after my wife took me home. I don’t like to take pain meds so I had my wife pick up some quick dissolve Tylenol. I made the comment this stuff taste like pixie dust. I had about 2 days of extreme gut pain after taking the Tylenol but the Dr. said some people do fine with it (it has sugar so be careful). It was rough but things are much better now. Despite what everyone told me about how surgery changes things I was surprised. A definite paradigm shift in eating and drinking for me. My wife had the same surgery 2 months ago and it helped prepare me but we all go through our own journey.

Our family has a cabin out in the woods and I went there for a few days last week. Cell reception is spotty and it is a good place to unplug and relax. I realize that the loss of my comfort foods was going to be harder than I realized. Now I do know this may not be forever but if I want long term success there has to be a permanent shift in my food intake. I know that I can count on the fine folks from this site to help me on my journey!

So great to be able to read all the post on here and see how people are doing on their journey!!
J
J, congratulations. It's exciting to be part of your journey, to read your posts as you worked up to your surgery and now to read this first post you made it to the group postoperatively. It sounds like you're doing about right. There will be some difficulties and there will be some joys, but in time oh, it'll be nothing but joy. I am so happy for you.

Great to hear you are doing well. Sometimes those craving for comfort foods are just because you cannot have them. It's very important to change your style of eating. That being said, a few months from now, you'll have a bit of your favorite foods. Once you realize you CAN some, the cravings ease up. At least that was true for me and I hope it's so for you.

Thanks Missy & Diane

I have been up at the family cabin for a while because my cousin is getting divorced and he needed some time away and it is good for me as well.
I know my journey has just begun 3 weeks next Tuesday. The shift over the last 10 days has been great and I know it won't last but food at this point is not a draw for me. I make myself eat what is required in this stage of eating. The thing that bothers me is water is now a problem I have no desire and it seems to get stuck quite often. I have made myself get in my 64 but I know that 100 would be better. I trust what you comrades tell me that it will get better and it is better for my wife.

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived home to find my wife has really cleaned her food up. I do worry about what food she brings in the house. Everyone loves her cooking and to some degree cooking comfort food is love for her ( and can be hard for me to say no). She Had GB 11 weeks ago and she is still losing weight at a good rate.

Best,
J

Back