• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need a little encouragement or advice!

Aly

I am scheduled for surgery on March 7th and I must admit I am getting scared and nervous and worried. I have friends that have had the surgery and they tell me that the first 2 weeks is extremely difficult. I don't want to back out now after all the testing and hard work that I have done to get to this point but my nerves are so jumpy! Does anyone have any advice or could share their story of their first 2 weeks post-op?? Don't worry about scaring my anymore with your thoughts as my mind has already been over every possible complication!

hi
I haven't had my surgery yet, but going through the process of dr.appt. I can let you know I will pray for you that your nerves settle and you feel comfortable with your decesion of w/s. I know I am already anxious and I still have 2 dr appt. before I even get to make surgeon appt. I feel like a kid at Christmas, awaiting the gifts, I understand the butterfly feelings you are having. I too have had some 2nd quesses but I do believe the journey is going to be worth it in the long run. May I ask did you have to loose weight before the surgery? I am trying to watch what i eat now and trying to remind myself when I eat to go slow, and chew up my food, for that seems to be one MAJOR change I must make as others have. I hope I will be allowed to have coffee again after healing. I am a "newbie" as they say but I will gladly talk and listen.
Will be praying for you especially on the 7th when you have your surgery set for.
Donna

Hi Donna, Yes I was suppose to lose 10% of my weight while going to my required 6 months of nutrition appointments. There was a mess-up in one of my test results so while I was waiting for them to figure it out (which took 5 months) I gained some weight back and had to do a liquid diet the last 2 weeks before my surgery. I think that has what me so discouraged. It will be over a month before I am able to have an sort of solid food which is completely depressing! I was so excited and ready to have this surgery done but in the last month I seem to losing my nerve. I just need to focus on the future but its hard at the moment! Thank you for the support!!

hi
sounds like you've been through the "ringer" as they say. 5 months is a long time to wait for anything especially lab results and getting the answers you needed. Doesn't seem fair that you must have liquids for such a long time, but I bet you can see a difference in your clothes and how you feel about yourself? I get excited over a few pounds loss, the journey may be unberable now, but just think of the clothes choices you will have and you will be able to do more things that you enjoy . At least these are two things I keep telling myself. I haven't had to do a liquid diet yet, and I am not anxious too, but whatever it takes to complete this race and begin a new journey is going to be well worth it all.
I am here if you need someone to talk with, at least til time for Church this evening. That is unless one of my twins needs the computer before then.

The liquid diet was hard at the beginning, especially when I craved something more like a piece of meat but now it's getting a little easier. I have discovered that cream of chicken and cream of potato soups are not half bad! Tomorrow starts my bowel prep which means just clear liquids like water and tea and jello which may be a little harder to deal with but I know after Wednesday I won't have the hunger pains. I try to think of my kids (who are 12 and 9) and focus on all the things we want to do in the future that I have never been able to do with them because of my weight. I think my anxiety comes from wondering what the 2 weeks post op are going to be like. I've heard they are extremely difficult.

The liquid diet was hard at the beginning, especially when I craved something more like a piece of meat but now it's getting a little easier. I have discovered that cream of chicken and cream of potato soups are not half bad! Tomorrow starts my bowel prep which means just clear liquids like water and tea and jello which may be a little harder to deal with but I know after Wednesday I won't have the hunger pains. I try to think of my kids (who are 12 and 9) and focus on all the things we want to do in the future that I have never been able to do with them because of my weight. I think my anxiety comes from wondering what the 2 weeks post op are going to be like. I've heard they are extremely difficult.

Hang in there Aly, I rember drinking bulion all day, before you know it you will be checking in for surgery. Let us know how things are going. :cool: Tom

hi aly
i haven't seen you on here in awhile, how are you healing from your surgery? When you feel good please let us know how you are doing and what having the surgery was like, i'm still awaiting my surgery date and still asking lots of questions, praying you are doing much better,
donna

I am doing pretty good. I was feeling great the last two weeks but in the last few days I have not been able to eat much due to everything seeming to go right through me. I have heard this is normal as your body adjusts to the food intake. Seems I can't more than a few bites without the ole bowels kicking in but otherwise than that I am doing well. I don't have all the energy I had before surgery back but I am sure that will improve with time. Hoping to start getting into an exercise routine as of next week! Hope you are doing well also!

Back