• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

need help and some one i can talk to

jeff

ok 5 wks out post op goiong through lots of emotions and depresson lonely ness you guys know what i am talking about how do i deal with it and i am woundering what kinds of diet do i follow

I had the R-N-Y but but my support group is a mix of sleeve and RnY and it seemed the diet is about the same. If you are 4 weeks out you should be close to eating solid foods. I had very little apitite but I started with real soft foods as suggested by my dietician, refried beans, lean groung meats like hambuger, turkey, tuna or eggs. I could only eat 2 oz of meat at a sitting and about a tbls of beans, so i would have 4 small meals and a protien shake to get enough protien in me. Going to support group meetings will give you place where you can share some of your concernes and a good place to get ideas on what to eat and different recipes.

Anyone who has had the ds "sleeve" surgery? I am looking into having it in the next couple months, and want some feedback from people who have had it, what Dr. is best and where? So far, I attended the Seminar at the Lubbock Facility with Dr. Syn.

follow the diet as subscribed in your post op paperwork.Have you ever had surgery of any kind before? 1st of all congratulations on your great weigfht loss the past month. sometimes just the anesthetic used can effect your mood swings early on plus look at the magnitude of what you havebeen through physically and mentally. do you have a friend to talk to or someone else like us. I certainly do understand how you feel I am 8 years out and getting back on track after a 50 lb wt gain over the last three years. we just have to stick together patti

When I first had my surgery I felt depressed. At first I thought I would never feel better. I felt slow and weak. Before the surgery I was pretty active. I went to the gym, walked when ever I could but after just going down the stairs winded me. It did get better.

Another thing that hurt my feelings was people finding out about my surgery and telling me I was cheating. I lost a few friends that way because they could not understand why I did this. In the support groups they say not to tell people partially because of this reason but I feel I should not have to hide the fact I got the surgery. It makes me feel ashamed and that is not a feeling I like. Instead I found people who could understand.

Is there anything specific you can think of that is causing you to feel this way?

our bodies suffer physical and emotional trauma with any surgery as you say it is getting better.You do noet need to feel ashamed, remember other people havethe own agenda and if they can't be happy for you forget them they weren't your friemd anyway. everyone on ths site has icky days. try to find one positive thing every day. most of all is the courage to take the risk..patti

I had Sleeve on 12-12-11. I am feeling the same way. I am trying to get more active. I recently joined the Fitness center in Statesville and am going to start out slowly. I am eating yogurt, cheese, cream of wheat, protein shakes, soft vegetables, and slowly introducing lean meat such as chicken and lean ground beef. Not able to take very much at a time. Getting my fluids in has been the biggest problem for me.

do you have pre surgery pictures...when you get down in the dumps look at the difference today. ou should have been given a diet, if not contact your nutritionist. It gets better..patti

do you have pre surgery pictures...when you get down in the dumps look at the difference today. ou should have been given a diet, if not contact your nutritionist It gets better..patti

I had the surgery RNY on dec 27th. I have some friends who look at me the same way as yours did, but I don't care. I am doing this for my health benefit and if they can't be proud of me for that then they aren't friends anyway. Hang in there. At my doctors office we have a psychiatrist that we can see if we have problems with depression and or emotional problems. See a psychiatrist for your depression. You will feel better about everything then. Maybe your body is just off balance right now.

I don't think any of us whave had wls anticipated the roller coaster ride while recuperating from it. I have been a nurse for over 35 years and I did not know what to expect,I will never regret doing it. I kick my butt every day about getting off track and wonderingmif I will ever see that place again when I was finally happy with my body. I had my wls in 11/03 and have been fighting my weight for a a couple of years. I gained to 215 and lost to 188 now 200 down from 205. I know,I know it was 199 last week.patti

hey hows it going for you hope every thing is going good and your getting in your water and protien me i hit a stall past couple of weeeks i stoped loosintg wieht but i strated up agian but slowly only 8 pds so i hope its not going to stop hope your doing good man this is hard thing to do thats for shure didnt think it was going to be has hard as this but hey got to keep motivated

you have takeen the most important step. what to eat. get at least 70 grams of protein a day,64 oz of water is a must. do not drink30min before or after. Go online and do alittle research for high protein foods .eat small meals maybe 3 with 2 snacks. calm yousweet tooth with sugar free tropical popsicles, try to be consistent. develop a diet for your special likes and dislikes. I remember eating a lot of delicious appleapples with cheese for snacks and yogurt with added powdered milk. at breakdfast I had one egg (any style) a piece of wholle wheat toast.and either bacon or sausage links. You will find you can't eat it all...don't. Let youpouch heal,Use common sense when on liguids and watch the calories protein balance.hope that gets you started. oh oh remeber to take your vitamin supplements, add a lttle zinc for your hair to prevent hair loss. hope that gets you started patti

Anyone who has had the ds "sleeve" surgery? I am looking into having it in the next couple months, and want some feedback from people who have had it, what Dr. is best and where? So far, I attended the Seminar at the Lubbock Facility with Dr. Syn.
i had the sleeve.. and i think it was the best choice i mad. i was going to get the lapband but opted for the sleeve. i didnt want to go back and forth to the doc for fills and having to keep paying $175 for the office visit. also un like the rny the sleeve you wont become protein and vitamin definition

you have come to the right place so kiss your lonliness goodbye and get on the fast track with the success on this particular train. I am over 8 yeasrs oout and hita bump after 5 years when I had a car accident nad started picking up lbs. I am now 40 lbs away from my goal for the second time. I have absolutely no regets in the RNY 2003. I have learned a lot. Now about your depression....that is not too umcommon,,my God look at the assault on you gthat a surgery lik this takes. Prtein 70gm carbs 30 gms. No doubt they sent home sme kind of a diet for you. I am lazy give me a piece of good steak and a salad would satsify me every time but money doesn't permit it so here's the deal. Nothing white. whole grains only. no pasta,or noodles or any stuff like that.try to walk alot and drink a minimum of 64 oz of water(flavored is ok),no carbonated beverages,even diet/ If you like popsicles you canget sugar free in tropical or traditional flavor. EASadvantage hi protein drink. 17 gm protein,3carbs,0sugar i strawberry chocolate and vanila. avoid fats by using olive oil for cooking.keep a bowl fulloff hardboiled eggs on hand for a quik protein fix.If you like cheese get the hard brand. that is a little info for you. pmiller64@earthlink.net...patti good luck write me

I know there is a place in Amarillo that my doctor has a clinic in. Barker Bariatric Center. I too am getting the DS, we don't have the surgery scheduled yet. I'm in the Dallas area, but like I said he has several locations and he has wonderful staff. And his website is very informative too. Good luck. I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to.

hi
I just wanted to say you chose a good "nic name" and congratulations on your weight loss so far.I can't wait to have my surgery and be able to report such a good weight lost, I know you have worked hard to get to this point, congratulaitons.
Donna

Hi Jeff,
I haven't had my surgery but feeling down is a real emotion, you are on a new journey to a new an healthier you, There is no magic potion to make any of us feel better, but I know from my own experience God has brought me peace and comfort and assurance. I am known for being everyone's BIGSISTER, I don't have all the answers. you've come to the right place because these people truly care about there fellow person, you are among people whom understand what your going through, most of them have already had there surgery so they know exactly what you're feeling. I am still going through the process, I'll gladly listen if you need someone to talk too.
Will pray for you too.
Donna

Good morning, y'all. I hope you guys can give me some feedback. I'm 81/2 months out from my wls. and doing pretty well physically. I've lost 130 lbs so far, The thing is, I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I'm not 350 lbs anymore. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my head to see what's going on with me? I sure would appreciate it! Good luck and best wishes to all.

:confused: hI tROUTMAN jEFF
JUST A QUICK NOTE TO SAY HI AND SEE HOW THINGS ARE GOING FOR YOU???? hAVE YOU GOTTEN ANY ANSWERS TO THE ? YOU'VE ASKED ON HERE.
iT SEEMS DAILY i FIND OUT SOMETHING NEW, i JUST FOUND OUT i CAN'T HAVE sugarfree gum or pasta. I've always relied on gum to try to help me from eating. found out if swallowed it could close up the opening for food, yikes and that pasta is considered a"slider food", there's so much to learn. I am so thankful for this group of informed and friendly people.
Still praying for you, this new journey seems to have alot of new rules, but we all know the end results are what we are all working towards. I can't wait til I can say" I've reached my goal weight" one day at a time. I must be patience.
Just wanted to let you know other people care about each other on this site, and you are not alone. When you have time and feel like it please share what things you've discovered that have helped you with this journey.
Hope you have a good Monday and a good week too.
DOnna

Back