• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need help !

nancy42

Need some help !
Hello I am brand new to this forum but could sure use some advice .
I was banded on the 28th of Feb.2011. Every thing went really well for the
first four months then my weight loss slowed way down and now this past month
I have even gained about five pounds. My hair started falling out about the same time
at the four month mark and now it is so sparse I have to wear a wig to go out of the house.
I had blood work done last month and it all looked pretty good. My B12 was marginal but not bad.
I am taking prenatal vitamins (for the extra iron) plus Biotin .I also take Calcium w/vit.D and a
fish oil supplement. I can't eat meat ,beef ,chicken,pork . It just won't go down. I can eat some fish and some ground beef if cooked in spaghetti sauce. I just have a really hard time getting enough protein in. I weighed 247 lbs at surgery and now weigh 191 lbs. I do feel so much better from pre-surgery but I'm so worried about hair loss and slowed weight loss. I have an appt. with LB Doctor
tomorrow so hopefully will get some help. Will welcome any advice from fellow banders.

Nancy-Welcome to American Bariatrics forum. My guess is that your surgeon will need to tighten the band up a bit to help you lose weight faster. I heard periodic adjustments are normal for the LB so don't be too concerned. I am still pre-surgical for RNY but also have concerns regarding hair loss. So far the advice has been the same: protein, protein and more protein. I know you said you can't eat meat so that leaves you with using bariatric protein supplements instead. There are certainly a lot of choices available and this site has a source of supplements and also sponsors us. Just go to the main forum page and scroll down to the last section of forums to find the site. Your dietitian can also be useful in recommending supplements and probably has some available for purchase right there in the office. Don't go home empty handed. You must start eating your protein immediately. At least go pick up some high protein low carb protein drinks from the store today and try to get in your recommended amount every day. You don't have to like the way it tastes, you just need to drink it!

Make sure to come back to the forum and let us know how you are doing. You will be helping others by coming back and providing feedback on your progress.

Last edited:
Back