• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

need some help, cant get my dietican to answer

jlcrimm

anyone, I was going to cook dinner for my family. I know I can't have bread but is pasta okay? and can I have spaghetti? Also is sugar out? Does anyone know where I can get recipes my whole family would like so I don;t have to cook two meals? I have so many questions, where can I go to get answers?
Julie

Hi Julie, Pasta cause dumping for me but I have the RnY but it may be the same for the sleeve, surgar is usually out of the question too. Check out the section in the forum "Food & Nutrition" there is a section in there called recipes, there are some pasta's made for WLS patients and I think that might be mentioned in there and they also sell it on the Bariatric food websites. :cool:

I have a lap band and still do not tolerate bread or rice. However, the high protein pastas in small amounts seem to work for me. I don't know about the sleeve but with the lap band sugar does not cause dumping and that is why I have to be so careful about sugar. It is so easy to digest that some lap band patients tend to overdo it. What I do is eat protein first, then vegetables (which have to be well cooked) then finally some good quality carbs. If I have room I can have a small piece of dessert but always must stop eating as soon as I am full so dessert is rarely an option. I use a cake plate (even at my relatives homes) and limit myself to one serving. So far I don't tolerate pork, bar b q (beef or pork) but I do well with chicken, small steaks (rarely), all fish (not fried), and finally can enjoy some salads. I don't know what your diet instructions are but I didn't even try much of anything for six weeks. Two weeks on liquids, two weeks on full liquids, then two weeks on soft, then let loose to try pretty much what I tolerated. Still working on it. Your family will enjoy eating what you can have, trust me. My family loves fried chicken and they always get me or make grilled chicken for me. I cook for them too on occasion and then fix myself something different if I can't tolerate what they want. You can work it out. Instead of sandwiches I use roll ups with chicken, ham or turkey, some cheese in the middle and a lettuce leaf on the outside. Oh, the medical assistant at my center says she tolerates pita bread, but I do not. I can tolerate a flour tortilla once in while now but I would check and make sure that is ok with your center or diet plan. The recipe section is a good place to start. My center also shares recipes. I get some at my support group too. Joy

I had VSG too. I was told that pasta is okay but should be whole wheat or whole grain and cooked well done. I'd only try a tiny bit as you may get very full very fast. As Javajoy said eat the protein first. If you really want spaghetti why not spaghetti squash? It's yummy and better for everyone not just for you. Look up recipes that you think would be good for you to eat, but substitute stuff. For example on Thanksgiving, I made creamed spinach but used Greek yogurt instead of cream. Everyone loved it and I never said a word. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Penople,
Glad to know you had the same thing done, apparently the sleeve is not done very often. How are you doing? Are you still kind of wishing you hadn't done this? Can you tolerate bread and fried foods such as chicken? I am kinda scared about trying different foods. I have not threw-up and don't want too! I am still learning not to eat and drink together, sometimes I slip up. You are one of the only people I have talked to that had the same surgery around the same time, I am sure I will be asking alot.
Julie

Julie,

I'll be glad to answer any questions I can. I'm doing okay. I had some water and protein issues but got some unflavored unjury brand protein and it is working fairly well. I think I still need more water and protein. I haven't had bread or any fried foods. My instructions don't include anything fried. Baked fish has become a staple. Trying new foods was scary. Not as bad as it was. I do tend to take too big of a bite and not chew enough. And yes, I occasionally drink too soon after i eat. Been pretty good during. I didn't get like this in a month and need to be kind to myself. It's pretty much day by day for me, I figure out what may work better and what doesn't work. I will say following the instructions may be difficult at times but sure makes it easier!

You take care and keep up the great work!

Back