• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nervous, but I think I'm ready....

Sailor23

So I have been cleared to get my gastric sleeve surgery on 9/20. I'm a bit nervous, as I am really very borderline for qualifying. BMI 37, 5'3", weight is currently 212. I have tried EVERYTHING to lose. Post menopausal, 51yo....gall bladder out. After that I really gained. I am concerned about a sleeve at a lower weight; will I lose too much? Long term issues as I age into my 60s and beyond. I'm also worried a bit about the drastic lifestyle change with diet. While my husband will support me regardless, they do say it can strain relationships since our dietary requirements will be so different. He's a bit bummed about eating out, enjoying our wine tasting...but I am ready to forego all of that if I can get back down to a healthier weight. What have others experienced getting a sleeve on the lower end of the BMI range? Thoughts? I'm also a bit concerned...it's PERMANENT....I did do a gastric balloon, lost 35lbs, but gained it all right back once removed, despite being compliant with diet. Anyway, still leaning towards proceeding with this. TYIA

Welcome to the group, Sailor. I had the full surgical open procedure 16 years ago and they took my gallbladder at that time, so I can't speak expertly about the sleeve. But most of us have had very similar concerns to yours, so I hope I can offer you some reassurance. I'm also 5'3" and my highest weight pre-op was in the 260s. I lost 115 pounds in my first 14 months with a long stall for about 8 months. I'm a few days shy of my 72nd birthday.

I did get pretty skinny for a while, but your body adjusts to what you should weigh after a while. I was like your husband, really concerned about how my eating lifestyle would change, and I was positive I couldn't bear the mental anguish or stop eating high-calorie foods I loved. I didn't have to deal with someone else's anxiety, but I had a LOT of my own anxiety. This surgery is awesome, but it is far from the easy way out some people think it is.

My weight has fluctuated slightly, but it's pretty easy to take it off if I gain a few pounds. I was carrying all that weight on my tiny frame for years and my joints were affected, not to mention my self-esteem, which was as bad as it could be, to the point of being self-destructive.

But don't borrow trouble. You're worrying about things that may not come to pass, or won't be as bad as you think. You will be able to keep up your wine-tasting, but this process is holistic, so you'll do best to focus your fears and behavior on your mental obsessions and anxiety. You can start exercising regularly in small amounts, or even do seated repetitions while watching television. You'll figure it out. You may have some hormonal shifts and you may have some stress on your marriage, for sure, but it's important to you, right? You're aware of your husband's needs and already you're concerned about how he might be affected. That's so great.

Consider the fact that these thoughts you're having are all part of the eating disorder that got you here in the first place. Your struggle is as mental as it is physical. In fact, it's the mental battle you're having that's trying to sabotage you with irrational fear right now. I say it's irrational because just reading what you're thinking, you're obviously pretty well-informed already, and you've already had a surgical procedure because you're THAT serious about getting your health back and open up your options to healthy living.

Congratulations on getting your surgical date. Now you just have to go through the emotions and behaviors that are bugging you and make it to your date. You WILL get there and you will succeed. Let yourself relax and see if you can swap positive thinking for your anxiety until you have your surgery. You have a lot of time and you're very motivated. As they say, Welcome to the Losers' Bench.

Welcome to the group, Sailor. I had the full surgical open procedure 16 years ago and they took my gallbladder at that time, so I can't speak expertly about the sleeve. But most of us have had very similar concerns to yours, so I hope I can offer you some reassurance. I'm also 5'3" and my highest weight pre-op was in the 260s. I lost 115 pounds in my first 14 months with a long stall for about 8 months. I'm a few days shy of my 72nd birthday.

I did get pretty skinny for a while, but your body adjusts to what you should weigh after a while. I was like your husband, really concerned about how my eating lifestyle would change, and I was positive I couldn't bear the mental anguish or stop eating high-calorie foods I loved. I didn't have to deal with someone else's anxiety, but I had a LOT of my own anxiety. This surgery is awesome, but it is far from the easy way out some people think it is.

My weight has fluctuated slightly, but it's pretty easy to take it off if I gain a few pounds. I was carrying all that weight on my tiny frame for years and my joints were affected, not to mention my self-esteem, which was as bad as it could be, to the point of being self-destructive.

But don't borrow trouble. You're worrying about things that may not come to pass, or won't be as bad as you think. You will be able to keep up your wine-tasting, but this process is holistic, so you'll do best to focus your fears and behavior on your mental obsessions and anxiety. You can start exercising regularly in small amounts, or even do seated repetitions while watching television. You'll figure it out. You may have some hormonal shifts and you may have some stress on your marriage, for sure, but it's important to you, right? You're aware of your husband's needs and already you're concerned about how he might be affected. That's so great.

Consider the fact that these thoughts you're having are all part of the eating disorder that got you here in the first place. Your struggle is as mental as it is physical. In fact, it's the mental battle you're having that's trying to sabotage you with irrational fear right now. I say it's irrational because just reading what you're thinking, you're obviously pretty well-informed already, and you've already had a surgical procedure because you're THAT serious about getting your health back and open up your options to healthy living.

Congratulations on getting your surgical date. Now you just have to go through the emotions and behaviors that are bugging you and make it to your date. You WILL get there and you will succeed. Let yourself relax and see if you can swap positive thinking for your anxiety until you have your surgery. You have a lot of time and you're very motivated. As they say, Welcome to the Losers' Bench.
Thanks so much for your reply. I am just getting back on this site. I am POD 4, sleeved on 9/20. Doing okay, but struggling with getting all the fluid in. I get tired of the protein shakes-never cared for the taste, so not super fun, but taking it all in stride. I am super bloated, been walking the dogs daily, when the weather allows. Pain is okay. Just sore. Excited to see how it all goes......

Hi, Sailor! Glad to here you're doing well. The fluid intake is difficult at first. Just sip, sip, sip. My team sent me home with 1oz glasses but you can use a shot glass. I was told sip them and try to finish 1oz every 15 minutes. I felt like drinking was my whole life that first few weeks lol. It gets easier.

Onto the protein shake issue. A few tips. Diane has shared a recipe for magic milk a gazillion times. If you search Magic Milk through the search icon (top left) you'll find it easily. You may prefer that. Another tip is to search the internet, Pinterest etc, for protein shake recipes. Most of us are drinking them regularly for quite a while. It can help to doctor them up. A few examples: PB Fit in chocolate. Sugar free drink mixes are also an excellent addition and come in a million flavors. My husbands favorite was root beer in vanilla. Fresh Herbs can cut though some of the sweetness as well.

As Diane said, don't borrow trouble. Strong relationships adjust. Wine tasting is still fun. Food still tastes good. 'Bad' foods can still be enjoyed in small amounts in moderation. The pros definitely out weigh the cons. Good luck.

Hi, Sailor! Glad to here you're doing well. The fluid intake is difficult at first. Just sip, sip, sip. My team sent me home with 1oz glasses but you can use a shot glass. I was told sip them and try to finish 1oz every 15 minutes. I felt like drinking was my whole life that first few weeks lol. It gets easier.

Onto the protein shake issue. A few tips. Diane has shared a recipe for magic milk a gazillion times. If you search Magic Milk through the search icon (top left) you'll find it easily. You may prefer that. Another tip is to search the internet, Pinterest etc, for protein shake recipes. Most of us are drinking them regularly for quite a while. It can help to doctor them up. A few examples: PB Fit in chocolate. Sugar free drink mixes are also an excellent addition and come in a million flavors. My husbands favorite was root beer in vanilla. Fresh Herbs can cut though some of the sweetness as well.

As Diane said, don't borrow trouble. Strong relationships adjust. Wine tasting is still fun. Food still tastes good. 'Bad' foods can still be enjoyed in small amounts in moderation. The pros definitely out weigh the cons. Good luck.
Thank you Missy! Appreciate the tips. Will definitely explore the protein shakes and options-fortunately there are many, surely something out there that will click for me. One day at a time. I am a worrier, so I think about all those possible scenarios, but as they say, stop worrying about things that quite likely will not happen.....lol. The weight is already coming off. So crazy! :)

Back