• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nervous Girl Here

SO im 27 292 lbs at 5'10. Im very scared about this surgery. Im having the gastric bypass. I have no medical issues and the dr says im a prime candidate. Still people ive never had a surgery and i need some moto here!!!!:confused:

SO im 27 292 lbs at 5'10. Im very scared about this surgery. Im having the gastric bypass. I have no medical issues and the dr says im a prime candidate. Still people ive never had a surgery and i need some moto here!!!!:confused:

WELCOME to the Forum!!! Glad you have joined us!

I was very scared of surgery, too. It took me 10 yrs to finally decide to go ahead with it. I am so very happy I finally did it!!! The pain was much less than I expected. The experience was not bad at all, as a matter of fact it was wonderful, it was the beginning of my new and healthier, happier life! I have fond memories of the whole surgery experience. I wish I would have done it when I was much younger.

You are 27 years old and have your whole life ahead of you. I think you will find you will be so happy with your decision. Laparoscopic surgery is so much easier than the old style of surgery. The benifits are great! Just be sure you have a great bariatric doctor and a hospital that is a Bariatric Center of EXCELLENCE.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi
I am older then you but I too had never had surgery before, and had no current medical issues and it was scary. Spending time alone in the hospital made me nervous. I woke up the morning after and my first thought was "what have I done". But I quickly moved to "I researched this, I spent months meeting with doctors. I made the decision out out of facts not haphazardly I'm good".

High blood pressure, heart desease, and diabetes run in my family and with my weight I was bound to have one or more if I didn't do something. That played into my decision.

Have faith that if you have done the research, met the professionals, and made the decision to change your life for now and the future that you will be fine in the hospital I'm only about 7 weeks out and I am feeling great.

Let us know how you are doing or if you have specific questions
Emily

Hello and welcome.

I wish this laporoscopic surgery was available to me when I was 27 !!!!

You will do fine.

Today, the minimally evasive procedures have made this a low risk procedure vs years ago it was high risk.

You will do fine. I think it is fantastic that you have opted to do this and correct so many potential maladies that could happen in your future long before they happen.

I am 71. I had my surgery on 11/4/2013 when I was just shy of my 70th birthday. This is life extension surgery for me. It resolved many medical issues. No more high blood pressure. No more diabetes that required 90 units of insulin each day and Rx's as well. Today my diabetes is completely controlled without meds of any kind and a prudent diet.

No more high blood pressure. No more blood pressure meds.

No more aching knees, back, etc.

No more sleep apnea.

Here are the many accomplishments that I have experienced in the past year and 3 months as a result of having made this decision:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

Thank you for letting me brag about this again and again.

More importantly, this is something you can look forward to as well.

Keep a journal of everything you get to do once again that your weight prevented you from doing in the past.

You are on the road to a wonderful and healthy new lifestyle.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back