• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NEW AMSTERDAM

Finally watched this episode last night. For a show that the last couple of seasons I loved, this season has been disappointing but I'll stick to the topic that they covered on gastric bypass. Spoiler alert, if you regularly watch New Amsterdam.

It was about a teenager who wanted to have RNY and didn't have her mother's approval. She had been seeing Dr. Frome who is the head of Behavioral Health at New Amsterdam Hosp. So she asked Dr. Frome to sign the authorization paper. He didn't, stating that the surgery was too dangerous and it might not even work and that she should continue her sessions with him. To give him 6 more months of therapy and suggestions for losing weight. Note: Dr. Frome has an eating disorder of his own and they have talked about this on many episodes, and we've even seen the piles of junk food hiding in his desk drawer!

Enters her mom who is accepting of her own body and embracing whatever size she is and thinks her daughter should feel the same. Her daughter accused her of wanting her to be fat, to look like her. But her mom doesn't want her to go through the same agony she went through over the years so there was a discussion of her past and Dr. Frome's past of body shame, diets that don't work, what parents put you through, etc. They both tried to make her understand that being fat is okay. The teenager answered back at Dr. Frome, "then why are you trying to lose weight". Dr. Frome answers, "we are not talking about me here, we are talking about you." (insert a chuckle from me)

After hearing the teen out, it eventually led to apologies from all parties and the mom granting permission for the RNY. Dr. Frome was surprised and was still trying to push his therapy. The teen pushes back again stating therapy is a choice, self acceptance is a choice and so is surgery. Dr. Frome says "yes but it is a risky one, one that you can't take back", meanwhile the mom signs the authorization paper stating it is her daughter's choice. Dr. Frome was baffled.... I wonder if in the future he might consider this surgery although I have to say I don't think he looks like he has a weight issue. I think they bulk him up with layers of clothes.

That is pretty much where they left it. I don't know if we will see a follow up where the teen has surgery. I hope they do. I don't know how many young people are having WLS these days and/or if it is something they jump into without fully understanding the risks and the changes to your body. As I said, I am getting disappointed with the storylines this year for New Amsterdam, but at least I could relate to this one in some way or another.

Back