• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new and considering by-pass surgury

snazzle

My name is snazzle and I am 65 years old. I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I would love to chat with someone with the same condition so I can know the pros and cons of the surgery.

My name is snazzle and I am 65 years old. I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I would love to chat with someone with the same condition so I can know the pros and cons of the surgery.
Welcome snazle
I'm not insulin dependent but know several people that are post op at my support groups and it seems to cut both ways-two of the people were and now are off their shots and one woman just told me she needs to continue with insulin because she produces none at all-this was just Tuesday evening and she is 20 months post op.I was only on pills so I don't have the same situation as you but I'm sure you will be able to find someone here that is.I'm 61 and am post op 1 year on the 8th-I had a RNY and have lost half my body weight and am off all my meds and also my c-pap machine.I can't say enough about this process as it has been so positive for my overalll health.Good luck in your journey-everyone here is helpful and will share their experiences and challanges and offer help and advice when you want or need it.
Ron

Hi Snazzle, I am not dibetic but my daughter was diabetic and she had the RnY she was off her insulin within days, there are others hear that can tell you there story they. Good luck, let us know what decide. :cool: Tom

Hi I am Angie I was insulin dependent 7 weeks ago. Yep I am free of diabetes among other things. The cons its major surgery with risk, I had a bowel that had to be repair 2 days later. But here I am 7 weeks later full of energy no more shots and I also took 30 plus pills aday. I now take 3. So, was it worth it? Yes I feel amazing, started on a stationary bike a few days ago. I have not a lot of memory about the hospital because they kept me pain free. But, do more shots or pills and diabetes. I am very pleased. Before the operation I suffered a TIA was memory loss and stuttering for a few months. Blood sugars were out of control, yet I was not quite heavy enough for bypass. Also used a cpac for breathing at night. So I went to just listen to a surgeon talk. I asked my family doctor what he thought. He supported me. In short it is a miracle. the eating doesn't bother me. So that is my view. Sounds pretty good huh. You are in Ohio too I see. Let me know what you decide.

Hi Snazzle,

The first steps on this journey is to do your research, attend a free seminar about weight loss surgery, get a referral from your primary care physician. The more informed you are the better it will be. Come back often and ask questions. Talk to people who have had the surgery. See what is available in your area like will you have to travel far, is the center of your choice designated as a center of excellence? It's not the kind of thing where you go in one day and have surgery the next week. There is a process you have to go through. I feel it is well worth it to gain back your health, at least it was for me.

Regarding the diabetes, my niece had the lap band too just like I did, and her insulin usage was cut in half but I have talked to many others who were able to stop insulin altogether

Most importantly, do your research, there are many sites available online that explain the procedures that are available, and what the general requirements are.

Good luck on your journey. Please feel free to come and visit as often as you need to. There is a wealth of experience to be had in this Forum. Joy

Welcome to the forum snazzle. There are many diabetic success stories in this forum. Although I was not insulin dependant I was taken off metformin a week before surgey and my A1C level has been 6.5 or below since surgery. It's all good!!!

Welcome Snazzle- I had my surgery November 13th and I am insulin dependent with an A1C of 10.8/avg daily blood sugar 250-340, 3 injections of Novolog 30 units each and 2000 mg of Metformin daily. Since my surgery I have lost 31 lbs, Metformin is no longer prescribed and I am down to one 10-20 unit injection daily. My endocrinologist told me last week 15 more lbs and I will no longer need diabetic medication.

I am so very excited to no longer be insulin dependent, I have watched diabetes wreck lives of so many in my family and I decided it was not going to destroy my body/life. The first weeks after surgery were alittle difficult but looking at it now, this is going the best decision I have ever made in my life. My energy is coming back full throttle and I feel like a butterfly shedding the cocoon.

My advice to you would be talk to lots of people, read and research...remember knowledge is power!!! God Bless:D

hi snazzle,
I was at 263 when I started the process. I am down to 155. I had the surgery 11/12/2012. I was not insulin dependent, however I was
taking 3 oral meds at mega doses. very shortly within a week I was not taking any oral meds and last week my a1c was 6.3.
I am currently 74. I feel absolutely wonderful. this decision was the best decision I have ever made (other than my wife).
I am a very optimistic person and never expect anything to go wrong. I trusted my doc and did what he told me to do.
I was ready to golf two weeks after the surgery and the doc told me to wait one more week.
I have more energy than I have ever had. my wife cant believe it.

when we eat out, I can not finish a meal. I don't eat any of the appetizers before hand because I would not have the room
for the main course. my wife and I split meals whenever we eat out. breakfast lunch or dinner. I simply don't have the
room for all that food.
there is something that makes it hard for me to swallow after eating. when I get to that point I am finished. I simply have
to stop.

good luck

Last edited:

Hello Snazzle and Welcome,

One of the main reasons I went for gastric bypass was to lose weight and resolve my T2 diabetes. Prior to surgery I was taking 3 Blood Pressure Meds, Metformin ER 2000mg daily for diabetes and I was using up to 90 units of Novolog Fast Insulin to maintain control of my sugars. I always managed to keep my sugars below 140 (well sometimes ever so briefly they got above but the real damage happens with prolonged readings above 140) and my A1C's were always in the 5's such as 5.4 5o 5.9.

Post surgery IMMEDIATELY, I was completely off all my diabetic meds. I no longer needed Novolog or Metformin ER. I also came off all my Blood Pressure pills within the first couple of weeks.

So, this surgery is a life saver for me.

Today as I write I am down to 210 pounds; a 80 pound loss to date. I expect to los another 10 to 30 pounds. My main goal has been achieved, a better and healthier lifestyle and eliminating most of my prescribed drugs.

I still keep take Bystolic (10mg) to protect the heart as well as Lipitor (20mg) to keep my cholesterol at or around 120 or so. Below I have listed my achievements to date.

Whoops on another computer so I don't have my file readily handy. I will get back to you later today with all my achievements. In fact, maybe I can find them here on previous posts.

OK found them.

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
o Here is a new one. I am now officially overweight; no longer obese!

Hello Snazzle,
I was a an insulin-dependent diabetic. My Hemoglobin A1C was 10.8 prior to surgery. Now it is 5.8. I am controlled by oral medication only.
It has been 5 1/2 months since my surgery. I only wish I had done this YEARS ago. I just joined this forum today. I wish you the best.
Sincerely, Groggyfroggy

Hi,

I am 70 and I was insulin dependent. I was using up to 90 units of Novolog fast insulin to control my sugars along with 2000mg of Metformin Er. I had my gastric bypass on 11/4/2013. Since the day I walked out of the hospital I was completely off my diabetic meds and insulin. I have had good sugar numbers since then. Typically, when I measure I am still getting around 110. I do see numbers down in the 90s. I also see my number jump up to 140 to 160 if I do have rich carbs or sugars, which I don't do very much. But, the number comes right back down with the 2 hours post priandal down to 100 to 110.

I am about to go for new bloodwork to see where my A1C is now. I expect it to still be in the 5's. I managed to keep it in the 5's.

So, no longer insulin dependent and completely off my blood pressure meds too and no more CPAP machine.

Here are my accomplishments to date:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.

Back