• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and unhappy

eclarke

I had my surgery a week ago and I’m feeling like I made a HUGE mistake. Day by day I feel weaker. I’m suppose to eat 500-700 calories at day and I can barely manage 300. It’s not nausea, it a complete disinterest in food and everything tasting horrible. If this keeps up I might end up in the hospital again. They certainly don’t tell you about this when they are doing their sales pitch for this surgery. If it wasn’t for my daughter I might just end it

Based solely on your last statement, I urge you to see your surgeon immediately.

You're one of thousands of people who've had post-op reactions they couldn't deal with. You may need hospitalization to figure it out.

I hope you're still on the liquid diet. You can be easily treated even if you have to be on an IV while your surgeon explores.

Seriously, don't delay. Call immediately or go to urgent care.

Some people have remorse after the surgery but more often than not it is temporary. I was one of them because I had severe complications. But once those complications were overcome, I no longer regretted the surgery.

I totally agree with Diane that you should call your surgeon ASAP to make sure everything is okay physically. It is also not uncommon for people to get depressed following surgeries. Don't be afraid to mention that to your doctor as well. We are concerned about you and want you to succeed.

I also echo the worries about making sure the surgery site is intact and healing properly. Definitely call your surgeon, and if you don't get satisfaction that way, pop by urgent care. This condition is not going to be something they don't have a plan for. You will get by. Please let us know that you are ok.

Glad to hear the ball is rolling, albeit slowly. Consider a visit to urgent care if things get unbearable before you see the doc. You are your own best advocate, and you are entitled to prompt action.

What was your pre-surgery diet like? Did that go ok?

There's always a chance that a call from a clinic doc or your pcp might get his butt in gear. Seriously, your primary care doc signed off on the surgery and have a stake in you doing well.

I was warned that my tastes might change, and I tell ya, I did not feel the slightest twinge of hunger for a couple of weeks. I basically was... keeping a food schedule more than eating. You able to keep it down when you take it in?

So glad to hear you are seeing your surgeon ASAP!!! Disinterest in food can be normal after a major surgery, but you need to check with him/her to make sure you only have "the postop blues" and not something more serious. I'm a retired RN, and one thing about Americans is that some of us tend to think of surgery like...an oil change. Drive in, pop the hood, tinker a bit, drive out, and we're all done. Not so! The body heals, the mind heals, and the spirit heals - all three at different rates and for different reasons. Be gentle with yourself. Set a schedule for eating and do your very best to stick to it. Say, "My success needs this" "My body needs this". Recovery isn't always easy. You can do it!

I had my surgery a week ago and I’m feeling like I made a HUGE mistake. Day by day I feel weaker. I’m suppose to eat 500-700 calories at day and I can barely manage 300. It’s not nausea, it a complete disinterest in food and everything tasting horrible. If this keeps up I might end up in the hospital again. They certainly don’t tell you about this when they are doing their sales pitch for this surgery. If it wasn’t for my daughter I might just end it
I also had surgery last week. Got a lot of support from surgeon's office pre and post but I have noticed the protein shakes taste even more disgusting! Was doing pretty good until yesterday but then the depression started to set in. PLEASE DON'T GIIVE UP! Ask Dr for advice on eating and be patient with yourself. We did this to help us get healthier and that's a big change for most of us.
You didn't come this far just to get this far!

I'm glad to hear that you are getting in with your surgeon. I do think that everyone does have some brief moment of regret, especially early on. These are big changes, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally - and the surgery does force us to deal with these things without our "trusty sidekick" of food to make it "all better". In my opinion, the mental aspect of adjusting is much more challenging than the physical. I would encourage you to include a counselor into your team - even if temporarily to help you walk through the changes. So, do verify that there is not an issue with anything physically, but your surgeon is not the one to help figure out the mental and emotional aspects of this journey. The good news is that this phase of the journey is usually short - you CAN get through it!!

I'm surprised that everyone mostly seems to be addressing the food issues and not the "If not for my daughter, I might just end it". That is much more concerning to me than the rest. Please call the therapist that did your pre surgery eval, if you don't have one of your own. Or repeat that statement to the desk of your surgeon's office.

You can mix up your protein shakes until you can tolerate them, and the overall weakness is only temporary. This seems to be about much more than a lack of calories/energy. Please keep posting and calling the doctors until someone can help you. The suicide hotline number is 1-800-273-8255.

For me the worst was that first week post op. I was feeling horrible and wondering what the heck I did to myself. I was questioning whether having the surgery was a big mistake. I went to the support group meeting held by my program and that was helpful. After that first week I began feeling better. It took a few weeks to feel "normal" again. Talk with your doctor and if you have a support group available, please go.

I’m sorry to here that, I hope it turns around for you soon

Back