• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new and waiting on surgery date

hello, I am new just started my journey on June 3 2014, started at 295 and now down to 275. I am currently waiting to see the surgeon and hoping for a date for surgery. I am still torn between the sleeve and the RNY.

hello, I am new just started my journey on June 3 2014, started at 295 and now down to 275. I am currently waiting to see the surgeon and hoping for a date for surgery. I am still torn between the sleeve and the RNY.

Welcome.

I chose the gastric bypass. It is the gold standard with the most data collected and highest success rate. Having said that it also provided for me and immediate control of my type 2 diabetes. That was the deciding factor for me to choose between the sleeve vs the gastric bypass. Now, I know a lot of people now go with the sleeve and even over a longer term apparently it also helps control type 2 diabetes.

Now, if you don't have diabetes you may want to do the sleeve.

Talk it over with the Doctor more thoroughly.

Ask him/her what factors would make him decide between one surgery vs the other. The sleeve is certainly less evasive. But for many of us the mal-absorption of the gastric bypass was also important.

Hi I started the process last June as well and had surgery 12/29. I choose the sleave. I tend to get migraines and know that arthritis runs in the family so I wanted the option to take aleve/Motrin in the future if needed I also wasn't keen on the idea of having sections of my intestines left unused inside me. But that was just me . So talk more with the dr. I know the bypass allows normally for a higher % of weight loss and makes a difference to many

Good luck. Keep us posted on your decision/date/success

Hi! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I chose the RNY. I could look at food and gain weight. I needed all the help I could get. The operation was much less painfull than I expected. I have no regrets, the surgery saved my life. I am so happy, life is wonderful. I would do it over in a heartbeat!

Good luck to you!

Cheyenne:cool:

Back