• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Guy

TP1210

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new here and have begun my trek to Bariatric Surgery. I have attended a seminar at a prestigious local hospital. I have been on a strict doctor supervised diet and have done 3 (of the 6) monthly physician visits required before surgery. I have 3 visits left and the evaluation is done and my surgery will be scheduled. I figure it will be in July or August at the latest. I have had some success lately, lost 15 pounds last month on my new diet. That put me at 408 pounds. I have type 2 diabetes and have always been a big guy. I was 465 at one point. Lots of work at the gym and hardly eating and I lost some weight, but thanks to the Metformin (diabetes meds) I couldn't lose it. Now, tracking everything with the LiveStrong app and some exercise, I am getting it done.

I am really looking forward to learning more here. My sister is an RN and I live in her house right now due to my medical needs. It has also afforded me the opportunity to get the surgery and recover with little to no pressure.

My goal with this surgery and life change is to go to the beach and take my shirt off without being embarrassed. I want to fit in a seat on an airplane. I want to ride a roller coaster. Most importantly, I want to be alive in a few years. I am 43 now. I am not sure I will live to see 45 if I don't do this.

So that is about it. Hopefully this turns out as good for me as it has for some of you I have observed!

Back