• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New, Have Pre-op Questions

bigdogluver

Hi All, I'm new here, my surgery is on 3/22/17, I'm in Annapolis MD, female, and I'm on an emotional and eating roller coaster. I'll see my nutritionist today and doctor tomorrow for final appointments before surgery. Right now, I a trying to eat healthy but then I go on a binge to eat things I know I won't be able to eat forever or at least year. I feel crazy. Please tell me that this is normal. Please offer any advice of soothing insight - it would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi All, I'm new here, my surgery is on 3/22/17, I'm in Annapolis MD, female, and I'm on an emotional and eating roller coaster. I'll see my nutritionist today and doctor tomorrow for final appointments before surgery. Right now, I a trying to eat healthy but then I go on a binge to eat things I know I won't be able to eat forever or at least year. I feel crazy. Please tell me that this is normal. Please offer any advice of soothing insight - it would be so appreciated. Thanks.
I think it is normal. Your mind just saying hey you better eat this and this before you can't have it any more... I did the same thing, with pizza mostly... but you need to keep in your mind this isn't the end to eating these things you will be minimizing how much of you can eat at a time.... Not everything will be off the menu.... Plus alot of people say there tastes have changed since the surgery... I am only a week post op so I can't say for sure.... yet.. I am not hungry all the time anymore... Im down a bunch of weight and feel good... dont miss anything as of now... am getting excited to eat something other then liquids... LOL but that is in my head not my belly...

I have found since my surgery (Jan. 10), that I don't crave anything sweet. Also, don't really get hungry. Some days it is hard getting in all the protein. I did "binge" before I went on the liquid diet before surgery and ate pizza and pasta, bread. Now I don't really crave it. You will be fine.

Very normal, this is the hard part. It gets easier after surgery. I'm 3 weeks out after surgery and if I want something it's only 1-3 bites. One popsicle takes me 5-10 min to eat. I can cook food without any interest in eating the food.

I think it is normal. Your mind just saying hey you better eat this and this before you can't have it any more... I did the same thing, with pizza mostly... but you need to keep in your mind this isn't the end to eating these things you will be minimizing how much of you can eat at a time.... Not everything will be off the menu.... Plus alot of people say there tastes have changed since the surgery... I am only a week post op so I can't say for sure.... yet.. I am not hungry all the time anymore... Im down a bunch of weight and feel good... dont miss anything as of now... am getting excited to eat something other then liquids... LOL but that is in my head not my belly...
Keith, thanks for replying, I appreciate the kindness. I'm feeling so nervous and am relying on food, time to really work on ending this binging for comfort cycle. So happy to hear that your post surgery and weight loss is going well. I'll be looking for your posts. Many thanks!

Very normal, this is the hard part. It gets easier after surgery. I'm 3 weeks out after surgery and if I want something it's only 1-3 bites. One popsicle takes me 5-10 min to eat. I can cook food without any interest in eating the food.
Anna, thanks for replying. That sounds so wonderful - to not be hungry or care about food. Glad to hear that you are doing well. I'll be looking for your posts. Again, thanks.

I have found since my surgery (Jan. 10), that I don't crave anything sweet. Also, don't really get hungry. Some days it is hard getting in all the protein. I did "binge" before I went on the liquid diet before surgery and ate pizza and pasta, bread. Now I don't really crave it. You will be fine.
Debbie, thanks for replying. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one that went wild from nervous tension. To not be hungry or care about food would be a wonderful thing right now. I hope I feel that way and that it lasts for a long, long time. Thanks again and I'll be looking forward to your posts.

bigdogluver, today was a not hungry day. I had a protein drink for breakfast, a little cottage cheese for morning snack, tried to eat some mashed potatoes for lunch but only ate maybe 5 bites, scrambled egg for dinner and a popsicle for snack. Have drank a lot today so that may be why I wasn't really hungry. I never thought I would get to the point that food wouldn't rule my life but I'm there.

bigdogluver, today was a not hungry day. I had a protein drink for breakfast, a little cottage cheese for morning snack, tried to eat some mashed potatoes for lunch but only ate maybe 5 bites, scrambled egg for dinner and a popsicle for snack. Have drank a lot today so that may be why I wasn't really hungry. I never thought I would get to the point that food wouldn't rule my life but I'm there.
Debby, I have to start my pre-op diet on 3/7/17 but I'm starting a version of it now. After meeting with the doctor and nutritionist yesterday, I feel motivated.
Did you already have your surgery? I think I just responded to an older entry of yours by mistake, when you were pre-surgery and wondering how to personally finance surgery. Or, maybe it was someone else's entry. I find these threads confusing when I'm trying to respond to them via email. Laura.

Debby, I have to start my pre-op diet on 3/7/17 but I'm starting a version of it now. After meeting with the doctor and nutritionist yesterday, I feel motivated.
Did you already have your surgery? I think I just responded to an older entry of yours by mistake, when you were pre-surgery and wondering how to personally finance surgery. Or, maybe it was someone else's entry. I find these threads confusing when I'm trying to respond to them via email. Laura.
Just opened the whole thread and see that you've had surgery. So sorry, should have done that to start. Again, responding to incoming email and can't see the whole thread.
I'm an emotional binge eater. I'm reading self-help books and I'm considering therapy. My nutritionist said that surgery is a tool and will prevent my binging (or else!) but I have to deal with the emotional need. TMO, sorry. ;) I quit smoking so I'm relying on that achievement to help me through this. Fingers crossed. My biggest fear is to regain lost weight in the future. BUT, I keep telling myself - one stage at a time and deal with it as it comes. Again, TMO, and again, sorry.

I was an emotional eater as well. Surgery has definitely helped me break that habit. Tomorrow is weigh day. I hope I have lost some. The last 2 days I haven't been very hungry so it has been hard to get my protein in. I never thought I would not be hungry. Sure don't crave sweets and before surgery, I was always wanting something sweet. I like it. You'll do great.

Wow, that is wonderful. Not craving sweets is a thing for me, too. I look forward to it not being so. I hope your weigh-in goes well. Any weight loss is great!

I was an emotional eater as well. Surgery has definitely helped me break that habit. Tomorrow is weigh day. I hope I have lost some. The last 2 days I haven't been very hungry so it has been hard to get my protein in. I never thought I would not be hungry. Sure don't crave sweets and before surgery, I was always wanting something sweet. I like it. You'll do great.
Let us know how you doc appointment goes... good luck

I've been doing the same thing, My surgery is coming up on the 28th Tues and I have all these feelings that are hard for other's to understand. I'm scared, anxious, excited, just nervous as to how I'll do. I live in NH and have been doing the pre-op of shakes and clear fluids. Anxious to be on my way to get this weight off. Best of luck to you too.

I'm 3 1,/2 years out lost and maintaining 144 pound loss. I eat whatever I want..Just watch portion control,eat slow and chew chew chew. No worries.

I've been doing the same thing, My surgery is coming up on the 28th Tues and I have all these feelings that are hard for other's to understand. I'm scared, anxious, excited, just nervous as to how I'll do. I live in NH and have been doing the pre-op of shakes and clear fluids. Anxious to be on my way to get this weight off. Best of luck to you too.
Hi Cin59, wow you are just within days. I wish I could give you a big hug of reassurance, but then you would have to give me one back. LOL. You can do this, in 7 days you'll be on the other side of it. That's what I say when I try to self-soothe, I say, "I'll be on the other side looking back and it will be no biggie." All the very best of luck, but you won't need it, you'll do fine. I and a lot of nice people are here to support you.

Hi Cin59, wow you are just within days. I wish I could give you a big hug of reassurance, but then you would have to give me one back. LOL. You can do this, in 7 days you'll be on the other side of it. That's what I say when I try to self-soothe, I say, "I'll be on the other side looking back and it will be no biggie." All the very best of luck, but you won't need it, you'll do fine. I and a lot of nice people are here to support you.
That is so nice of you, Do you have all those weird feelings too, did anyone else have this? I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster ride and can't slow my mind down. Very anxious, and like I said kind of scared. Just will be glad when it's over with. Thank God I get to talk with my therapist tomorrow, lol. She's got her hands full with me. Actually she's a wonderful person that I have been seeing on and off for years for support. She's absolutely wonderful, think I'll have hubby come in and hear things tomorrow. I find myself sitting with him and all of a sudden I just burst into tears and he's like what's wrong and I just can't explain all these emotions to him. I've got a big surprise for him though, I thought this was kind of cute. When he get's home from the hospital from dropping me off, I have an ecard going to his email and telling him to get some rest and a few more things, then I did one for Wed and Thurs. On Thurs. I put Ok, We got through this come and get me and bring me home, lol. I thought it was kind of neat. I'll be here with him, but I won't, know what I mean? He'll be surprised anyways. I wish everyone the very best and hope you'll be with me through this journey as I'm so glad I found this group and all of you. Tues is the big day!

I'll be here, don't worry and I would love to hear whatever you have to say. I'm thinking of going back to therapy, I need help with this eating addiction of mine. One piece of advice - stay off of youtube! I made the mistake of watching videos from former wls folks and some of them are too dark. Folks are dealing with their lives post-op and they aren't very inspirational. Their problems really have nothing to do with the surgery, they are dealing with issues that they never dealt with before. I remember hearing somewhere that right when life is going great, your subconscious might bring up an unresolved issue for you to deal with. It's as if your sub-c is telling you that you are now strong enough to deal with it. This happens to me from time to time.

I expect my emotions and fears will keep swinging and swirling all the way up to the hour of surgery, and I'm even having doubts at time. I know this is normal, just not pleasant - at all! We'll get through this together, and with the support of others here. I know we will be just fine and then we can biotch over what we have to eat post-op!

All the very best, my friend.

I'll be here, don't worry and I would love to hear whatever you have to say. I'm thinking of going back to therapy, I need help with this eating addiction of mine. One piece of advice - stay off of youtube! I made the mistake of watching videos from former wls folks and some of them are too dark. Folks are dealing with their lives post-op and they aren't very inspirational. Their problems really have nothing to do with the surgery, they are dealing with issues that they never dealt with before. I remember hearing somewhere that right when life is going great, your subconscious might bring up an unresolved issue for you to deal with. It's as if your sub-c is telling you that you are now strong enough to deal with it. This happens to me from time to time.

I expect my emotions and fears will keep swinging and swirling all the way up to the hour of surgery, and I'm even having doubts at time. I know this is normal, just not pleasant - at all! We'll get through this together, and with the support of others here. I know we will be just fine and then we can biotch over what we have to eat post-op!

All the very best, my friend.
I also had doubts about a week before my surgery. I kept thinking do I really want to do this. I am so glad that I did not talk myself out of it. It has been worth all of the work. For me I taped a note that says NO ! to the inside of my cabinet doors, I have only found myself cruising the cabinets a few times this past month. On the fridge by the handle I have a picture of myself at my heaviest weight taped. This also helps remind me why I am doing this. In the laundry room I plan to tack a pair of my biggest pants and top to the wall so that I can see how much smaller the current clothing I am wearing is getting. Lol, seems like I am a visual learner.

I also had doubts about a week before my surgery. I kept thinking do I really want to do this. I am so glad that I did not talk myself out of it. It has been worth all of the work. For me I taped a note that says NO ! to the inside of my cabinet doors, I have only found myself cruising the cabinets a few times this past month. On the fridge by the handle I have a picture of myself at my heaviest weight taped. This also helps remind me why I am doing this. In the laundry room I plan to tack a pair of my biggest pants and top to the wall so that I can see how much smaller the current clothing I am wearing is getting. Lol, seems like I am a visual learner.
Hi Lynn, I like your tips, I'll give it try. On 3/7/17 I will start my liquid, 2 week diet. My doctor allows his patients to do several things: only protein shakes or some lean meat and veggies, or a combo of the 2. I'm going to try to mix it up. I'm glad I don't have to do the clear liquids until after my operation. I hope I lose some pre-op weight to help get things rolling. Your tips some like something I will try. Thanks.

Back