• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New, Have Pre-op Questions

Thank you Teresa, your right we didn't put it on overnight, it is a scary new journey and kind of frustrating to come home weighing 11 lbs more than when you went in but they said that was all the fluid they put on me, so far 8 of the 11 is off, so hopefully I'm on the right track, just wish this pain would go away.

You are on your way!!!
Get ready for your skinny Jeans...

SMILE!...AND KEEP ON SMILING... ALL THE WAY DOWN TO YOUR GOAL!

I actually did pretty well from Oct to Feb27, my surgery date. However the last week that I was able to eat whatever I wanted to, I bought a box of Girl Scout mint cookies and ate the whole box. I would have broken the arm of anyone who tried to take one. lol. My Dr. calls it a food funeral. Saying goodbye to someone/ thing you love. But the truth is it is NOT forever. I could care less if I have carbs now, but it was almost a deal breaker when my nutritionist told me "no carbs for a year.

Don't worry...
Your stomach is going to determine, what you are able to eat after surgery. Your stomach will also determine the length of time, it will take before you eating your favorite foods again. Once again cross that bridge when you get there. You on the right track...just keep focus...stay positive and you will get where you want to be.
I'm proud of you!

So Keith you lost a lot of weight within a week? I had surgery the 28th and I'm not down anything, I came home 11 lbs more than when I went in because of the fluids, but I'm already feeling discouraged. I Pray this get's some weight off and fast.
It will come off... seems for me that if I skip walking for one reason or another and don't get the protein in my weight loss slows or stops..... I hope this helps

It will come off... seems for me that if I skip walking for one reason or another and don't get the protein in my weight loss slows or stops..... I hope this helps
Thank you so much. The only thing I have lost is the 11 lbs they put on me in the hospital.

Hi everyone. My surgery date is 3/15/17. have a question about the diet the day before surgery. I wasn't put on a pre-op liquid diet. What did you guys eat and/ or drink the day before?

Hi everyone. My surgery date is 3/15/17. have a question about the diet the day before surgery. I wasn't put on a pre-op liquid diet. What did you guys eat and/ or drink the day before?
I'm surprised you weren't put on a pre-op doc, did you call and ask them why? Did you have to take the classes that go with it? I had to drink protein drinks, water and some protein like fish, chicken etc for two weeks before surgery. They said you can't have anything in your stomach when he does the surgery. Good luck to you, but I would be asking some questions.

Thanks for responding. I did the classes with the nutritionist. At the hospital's bariatric support group the nurse said they don't recommend a liquid diet because it make people fatigued and weak. It was recommended to eat light no beef or pork. I'm going call the surgeon Monday for clarification.

Thanks for responding. I did the classes with the nutritionist. At the hospital's bariatric support group the nurse said they don't recommend a liquid diet because it make people fatigued and weak. It was recommended to eat light no beef or pork. I'm going call the surgeon Monday for clarification.
It's really strange because they usually do that because they want you to get used to eating that way when you come home from the hospital, plus it helps the surgeon because it shrinks the liver. Good luck to you and yes I would check with your doctor.

Hi again. I hope everyone is doing well. I didn't have the surgery yet. My insurance company is requiring 2 more nutritionist appointments before an approval. First appointment is 4/11 unless I can get something earlier. No worries.

Hi again. I hope everyone is doing well. I didn't have the surgery yet. My insurance company is requiring 2 more nutritionist appointments before an approval. First appointment is 4/11 unless I can get something earlier. No worries.

Hi. Does the nutritionits appointment have to be 30 days apart? I don't even see one and my primary care provider checks up on me once a month but not necessarily 30 days apart.

Good Luck...your day is coming

Lynn, I like your ideas too. We have to be prepared for this, can't just go in the hospital and come home and know what to do, it's very confusing, I have been given so much information in such a short time it's overwhelming. I had my husband take a before pic of me with the tightest shirt and leggings I could fine and once a month I'll have him take a pic in that same outfit and Pray for a difference. Going through this surgery is kind of scary and exciting. I'll find out soon. Tues is the big day.
Take a lot of before pictures to compare to your after pictures. Knowing where you come from...will remind you where you don't want to go back too.

Hi. Does the nutritionits appointment have to be 30 days apart? I don't even see one and my primary care provider checks up on me once a month but not necessarily 30 days apart.
How come so many visits with the nutritionist? I only had to see them once and then 10 days after and then a month, coming up next week. Best of luck to you.
Take a lot of before pictures to compare to your after pictures. Knowing where you come from...will remind you where you don't want to go back too.
I'm having a hard time and getting discouraged, lost 20 lbs, gained 3 back and staying right there. Do other people have this too? Had a hard time finding a pain med to help and now finally have but it really stinks it's an inflamed muscle that is pinching a nerve and they said there's one stitch there that is causing all these problems and said it could take 3-6 months for this stitch to dissolve.

I'm not sure. When I saw the nutritionist before it was once a month. I'll ask her Monday.

I've been doing the same thing, My surgery is coming up on the 28th Tues and I have all these feelings that are hard for other's to understand. I'm scared, anxious, excited, just nervous as to how I'll do. I live in NH and have been doing the pre-op of shakes and clear fluids. Anxious to be on my way to get this weight off. Best of luck to you too.
Are people on here still feeling sick two months after operation? I just have no energy, have gone from one symptom to another, in and out of the ER. So sick of being sick. Haven't even had the energy to come on here. Any info would help. Thank You! I also had a hiatal hernia fixed the same time as gastric by pass. It's just been horrible.

Back