• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here. Had vsg 1 year ago. Struggling.

Angie2.0

So glad I had vsg. I have lost 113lbs in 1 year. Honeymoon phase is over and I am really struggling with food choices, portions and working out. Although my body will not let me eat like I did pre-surgery, it is still a mental game. Worried about back tracking, regain and self-sabotage... How do you guys stay motivated to workout and stay on nutritional track???

It is a struggle for me.
I am doing good staying active and working out, I am still experiencing gains & pushing my limits weekly. My biggest motivation to keep at it is 1st hand knowledge that momentum is everything, and relapses are brutal fast and costly. I have never in my life regretted a exercise session; conversely I have regretted every missed session.

I do pretty good on meal choices, but struggle with snack attacks. I keep a variety of protein bars so i can healthily curb my sweet tooth about 50% of the time, but sometimes I crave actual sugary things and nothing else will satisfy. Instead of complete neglect leading to full-on binge mode, I indulge moderately.
I know I could do better, resulting in more & rapid weight loss but I am trying to find that line I can walk forever instead of a life full of roller coasters and shame.

I think the sugar free lifestyle is achievable by a very small percentage of people. The rest of us are doomed to be forever addicted to i. The lucky ones find that elusive moderation zone on their own, and us here are struggling to find ours after having learned the hard way.

I struggle with activity when I focus on "exercise", but if I do things like projects around the house, gardening, or other things that are not necessarily an exercise, I do better. being active doesn't have to mean training for a marathon or going to a gym. Moving your body is what is most important.
As far as food, I don't have the same struggles with it anymore. I cannot pinpoint when it actually changed for me, but I know that at some point in the last year, I realized that I just don't struggle with using it emotionally or being addicted to it any longer. That is not to say I never eat too much or get a craving for something in particular, but it seems much more the way that my friends that are naturally thin eaters crave something and I can eat a bite or two and be completely satisfied.

So glad I had vsg. I have lost 113lbs in 1 year. Honeymoon phase is over and I am really struggling with food choices, portions and working out. Although my body will not let me eat like I did pre-surgery, it is still a mental game. Worried about back tracking, regain and self-sabotage... How do you guys stay motivated to workout and stay on nutritional track???
I am 4 years post op in December... I did extremely well the first 2.5 years ... exercised like a maniac lost 140 lbs in 8 months. Here I am now... gained 30 -40 lbs in the last 8 months or so. I can eat whatever I want and it’s scary...I’m trying to find my motivation too. Food has always been a go to... hang in there . It’s a vicious cycle... I got a suggestion last week... join a support group here I am... it really is mental I get it..

I am 4 years post op in December... I did extremely well the first 2.5 years ... exercised like a maniac lost 140 lbs in 8 months. Here I am now... gained 30 -40 lbs in the last 8 months or so. I can eat whatever I want and it’s scary...I’m trying to find my motivation too. Food has always been a go to... hang in there . It’s a vicious cycle... I got a suggestion last week... join a support group here I am... it really is mental I get it..
Congrats on the 113 lbs tho

Back