• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here. Three weeks post opp and looking for a support group.

mmccarty

I had my gastric bypass surgery on 11/2/12. I have had several complications since. I am filled with regret. My coping mechanism when I feel sick and in pain was food. Now I don't have have a way to get through this recovery. I am still in so much pain and have been sick with pneumonia, abdomen infection, UTI and the flu. I have also had very painful vomiting spells. My surgeon is a real jerk. He was so nice when he "sold" me this surgery and now treats me like a pest. I cry everyday. I am still in so much pain that I can't even take care of my 2 small children. I have to send them to daycare. It is all so depressing. So I am looking for a place where I can get some support. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi MMcCarty, Welcome. I am very sorry you are having such a rough timeI know depressiona nd remorse was part of my recover post op as it was for many of us so you are not alone. We all experiance pain differently for some reason, I don't know why it differs so much for all of us since the surgery is the same:confused: Although having pneumonia probably didn't help you in the healing prosses and more than likely is making it harder for you to rcover. There is no reason you should not be able to get pain medicine if you need it I am sure the coughing is what is helping to cause the pain, I remember I couldn't sneeze, laugh or cough without being in pain for the first month. I hope things start improving for your soon. :cool: Tom

Thank you. I can't tell you how much better I feel knowing that you went through the same feelings. I wish I had a doctor that cared a little more. How long ago did you have surgery? I am down almost 20lbs, I wish I could be happy and celebrating that huge milestone, but I am far too depressed right now. I am taking children's Tylenol but it isn't touching the pain I am in. My surgeon refuses to give me anything more. Last night I couldn't sleep because I am still sleeping in a recliner because I can't lay flat on the bed, every time I moved it hurt.

Why are you taking children's Tylenol and not regular Tylenol?

It sounds like you are healing very slowly. Are you getting in all your fluids? How much? All your protein? Again, how much? You need both to heal properly. You also need both to lose the weight you should be able to expect to lose.

Please put your concerns and complaints in a brief letter and mail the letter to your surgeon, with a copy to your pcp. Nothing fancy required. Just simple statements of "what's what." Don't wait. Do this now.

Call your pcp immediately. It is ridiculous for you to be in that much pain three weeks out.

Let us know what you find out.

Hi mmccarty,

So sorry you are having such problems. I have encountered problems such as these in my work. Most of the time patients have requested and received a second opinion. I agree with the previous posts that you need to contact your primary care physician, and if necessary request that he/she make a referral for a second opinion. In the meantime you do need to try and make sure you are drinking 64 ounces of fluids and getting 60 Grams of protein per day. The protein assists healing and you don't want to become dehydrated. Your surgeon should be more caring and fulfilling your needs. I haven't seen my surgeon or talked to him since my post op appt. but haven't had a problem and mostly the other staff at the center can help me and always call me back. Are there no other staff members with whom you can talk at your center? Or do they ignore you? Are you getting in any exercise at all? Believe it or not, it helps you to heal. Best wishes as you continue on your journey. I believe there is hope and you will be more satisfied with your decision as time passes and you begin to feel better.

Last edited:
Hi MMcCarty, I had my surgery on March 28 2010, so most of my discomfort is a fading memory, but I do remember some of my depression and how sleepy I was all the time. I always took naps in my recliner because it is comfortable, it hurt every time I rolled over in bed or got up fro a bitting postion, but all that went away slowly. Qaterra and JavaJoy had some good advice, ther is no need to be in pain all the time and I imagine you are taking childrens tylonol because it is liquid and you connot have pills at this early stage and your doctor wont prescribe you anything. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, just hang in there. Let us know what you find out from your PCP. :cool: Tom

I am taking children's Tylenol because I am not able to take pills yet. I went to see my primary care physician yesterday. I see her again on Friday to follow up. I will see my surgeon on Friday too. But I am only seeing my surgeon so I will see my dietician. My doctor was much more sympathetic. I was on antibiotics that were making me throw up. She gave me an antibiotic shot. I get another one Friday.

I am writing a letter to the hospital too, regarding my surgeons lack of patient care. Unfortunately there isn't another local surgeon for me to follow up with.

Since I had my shot yesterday, I am feeling much better (except my pain is a little worse today because I tried to sleep on my side last night.

As far as my fluids, I was getting well over 64 oz until I got sick this last time. I am finally getting enough now. But since I had been so sick to my stomach I have not been able to tolerate much else. So I know I am not getting the protein I need. But since I am feeling better today, I am going to reach my protein requirement again.

Thank you everyone. I am so happy I found this forum.

Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks for the update. It helps us see how we can best support you.

Know that this will get better!

I'm happy you are feeling a little better too. I'm a big supporter in getting what you need from the doctor. Who cares if he/she thinks you are a pest? Demand what you need, and if you don't get it, write letters. You deserve decent post-op care.
I'll celebrate your 20 lb loss and do a little happy dance. You can celebrate the next 20!

YOU should not be in so much pain this many weeks since surgery, your surgeon is an Ahole if he is not attending to your needs. Your Primary Care should be able to prescribe liquid pain meds if you need them and I would definitely report your doc but NOT NOW since you may need him given there is not another surgeon around. I think everyone having this surgery has some depression around having to have it in the first place, the need to change your life around obesity but we are all there with you. I am about to get my surgery on Monday and hope my doc is not all glitter and no substance, I do not believe he is and he came highly recommended so expect a great experience with him.
Do you have a fever at all now that you have had the antibiotic? IF yes, then the surgeon MUST do some tests to make sure there are no leaks etc. Hang in there, this is going to get better adn you are going to be glad you did it, your surgeon is a jerk but you will be better off for having the surgery. How many of these surgeries get done at the center you went to and do you have a support group at the hospital for the patients having had the surgery? IF so that would be a good place to go for some more support, if not, when you are feeling better maybe suggest they start one, usually it is the Nutritionist who does the support groups. Keep us abreast of what is happening for you, you are going to be ok, just a rough start is the way I like to look at it!

Hello! mmccarty,
I am so sorry for you pain! I feel bad about somethings, but then I read your problems and I just thank the Lord it isn't worse. I like you have small children and I just try to remember We are partially doing this for them. We will be around much longer for them! Just remember we are here for you!!!!(vent anytime, it helps)

Tylenol also comes in liquid adult form I have seen it in Walmart and I will be picking up a couple bottles of the stuff right before my surgery.

I hope you feel better soon. Make sure you keep you team informed of what is going on with you-that is what they are there for.

Carol

hi mmccarty
you are not alone with your feelings and I think all of us have used "food" as our way of coping and now that option has been taken away from us, well it's a little scary and aggravating too, for I have realized that I am still tending to want to go get food when anxiety, boredom etc comes by way, I keep hearing my dr voice in my head, now don't go back to chips etc because that is what got you in this mess in the first place. yes I know his advice is right but when every commerical on tv is food , it can be trying.
I hope you are able to get to your pc doctor and get the right pain medicince, crying I have found out is normal for others have experienced it too. we have put our bodies through some massive changes and daily we are dealing with those changes. I beleive our hormones play a big role too. when my son had pneumonia it made him very weak for a long time and for you to be in pain may mean still some infection in your body. do you have family or friends whom are willing to help you when your children aren't at daycare?
I experienced "regret" and asked myself, "what have you done to yourself" I think everyone goes through that stage, it's normal but trust me after 10 weeks of issues from surgery and all the changes I can finally say' there is light at the end of the tunnel" once eating becomes easier and the pain is gone and you see the scale moving down to lower numbers it will boost you up, this room has been such a wonderful place to come to vent, ask ? and meet others whom are just like us dealing with w/l , feel free to come back share, others on here truly care and want to help.
praying you are having a better day,
donna

On the Mend!

FINALLY! I can say I am feeling better. No thanks to my surgeon. My pcp gave me an antibiotic shot and it really seems to be working. My fevers are gone and my pain has got so much better. I no longer feel the need for Tylenol. I have to see my surgeon today, it will be hard for me because he is so rude. I am getting another shot from my pcp this morning. I am just really happy that today I am four weeks post opp and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I am down 25lbs!

I am soooo glad you are feeling better, now you can enjoy this time of year. I love Christmas time! Congrats on your weightloss. That is wonderful.
Merry Christmas
Julie

I had my surgery 11-15-12 and had to stay four nights in the hospital. 2 days out I was starving! 3 weeks out now, I have trapped gas in my stomach EVERYTIME I eat. It is soooooooooooo frustrating. I too have a headache every morning I wake up. I am unable to take care of my 22 month old and family has been helping but it is stressful. The people that I do know that has had this surgery didn't have any of me problems I felt like something was wrong with me. I go for a follow up today so fingers crossed he can give me some answers without being rude.

Hang in there I had to have a bowel repaired after my bypass. 7 weeks now I am doing really well. Talk to your doctor or dr's nurse about being ill. They can try other things meds etc. Try seeing if he will write you a script of Promethazine it has been a life saver for me. I take it before my medication and it also get rid of that dizzy feeling. Hang in there it gets better. It really will. my thoughts are with you good luck

Angie

Back