• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here - very weak 2.5 weeks after surgery (gastric bypass with gallbladder too)

Laura M/

Hello All,

Looking forward to joining this very supportive group! I appreciate how everyone is so supportive and I hope to return the favor! I'm 2.5 weeks post op and feel very weak. It's not as bad when I'm sitting down but standing makes me feel dizzy at times and today felt like I was going to faint in the shower. Had to jump out and grab a towel to sit down. I'm hitting my water and protein (barely), and taking my supplements. Is this just my body adjusting? My surgeon said that last apporintment but I don't see a lot of improvement. I guess I'm just wondering what others encountered around this time. My main incision where they pulled my gallbladder is still pretty painful but I'm told that will get better too. Thanks for any advice you might have!

Laura

Hello and welcome. You had a major surgery and your body needs time to heal. In addition, you are barely eating anything, very minimal calories so that is adding to your body trying to figure everything out.
It all seems pretty normal to me, especially this early out from surgery.
You will adjust and slowly get back to normal, in every case contact your team if you think it is excessive just to be sure.

I had my gallbladder out at the same time as the bypass surgery, along with a few other things that were done. The largest incision stayed sore for a good 4-6 weeks but I noticed mine mostly when I would try to turn in bed. You're doing your best and it will get better. Try to move and get more active each day. That seems to help the healing along, too. Everyone's recovery is different so try not to compare too much. It sounds pretty normal to me what you are encountering, but if you are concerned, put a call into your bariatric team to see if they can make some suggestions. A week from now, 2 weeks, a month, you'll really start to notice improvements.

Sounds like how I felt that far out. Work on your protein and activity, but you also have to let yourself heal! I ended up getting Covid about 3 weeks out, so didn’t really feel like myself till about 6 weeks after.

Back