• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

TYNSMommy

Hello, I am new here. My surgery date is November 30th. I, like so many others, am excited and nervous all in one. My fear is that I will fail. After 4 major back surgeries, I am limited on my activities, so, I'm hoping after weight loss I can regain some mobility. I also worry about the eating process...I feel like all I want to do is drink liquids lol but I know that won't be possible. So, with that being said, do y'all cook for your families as you did before?! I'm worried I won't want to but my husbutt wants a home cooked meal daily. Thank each and everyone of y'all for sharing your stories and showing so much support! God bless!

I’m almost 2 months out from gastric bypass and I’m eating regular food again and cooking for myself and my husband. That being said, he eats what I cook for him, haha! I plan meals that are basically veggies and a protein, then just eat a lesser amount than he does. During my pre-surgery liquid diet until I graduated to soft foods after, he was on his own. I found it overwhelming dealing with shakes and food right after surgery. You don’t want to eat or drink. You have to focus on healing, getting enough liquids and protein in, etc. You have to focus on you. My husband and I agreed that he could feed himself and I would focus on feeding myself during that time.

I’m almost 2 months out from gastric bypass and I’m eating regular food again and cooking for myself and my husband. That being said, he eats what I cook for him, haha! I plan meals that are basically veggies and a protein, then just eat a lesser amount than he does. During my pre-surgery liquid diet until I graduated to soft foods after, he was on his own. I found it overwhelming dealing with shakes and food right after surgery. You don’t want to eat or drink. You have to focus on healing, getting enough liquids and protein in, etc. You have to focus on you. My husband and I agreed that he could feed himself and I would focus on feeding myself during that time.
Thank you so much! I love to cook and he loves to eat. So, he will just have to work with me for a bit lol. He can eat a big lunch and snack for dinner until I can get my routine figured out. I'm learning from reading that everyone has been different. Did you have a support group outside of this?! I live 80 miles from where I'm having my surgery, so, with that being said, I won't be going to the support group after surgery.

Hello, I am new here. My surgery date is November 30th. I, like so many others, am excited and nervous all in one. My fear is that I will fail. After 4 major back surgeries, I am limited on my activities, so, I'm hoping after weight loss I can regain some mobility. I also worry about the eating process...I feel like all I want to do is drink liquids lol but I know that won't be possible. So, with that being said, do y'all cook for your families as you did before?! I'm worried I won't want to but my husbutt wants a home cooked meal daily. Thank each and everyone of y'all for sharing your stories and showing so much support! God bless!

Congrats! I am 4 1/2 months post op and when I was told my tastebuds would fluctuate, I thought okay no problem. But I didn’t think it would be like this. I could love something one day and then be disgusted by it the next day. Be ready for that lol

As for cooking for your family, before surgery I cooked home cooked meal nearly everyday for my wife and 3 teenage boys. I still find it hard to cook sometimes because I can’t taste test what I’m cooking to make sure it tastes good. I like cooking for my family but my wife says that I try harder and take my time on the meals that I cook for myself and rush on the food I cook for them. I didn’t think I was but I caught myself doing it. Not deliberately. Not being able to eat what you cook or what you used to eat is difficult. So if I have to take more time on what I can eat, then that’s what I’m going to do. I just don’t cook like I did before surgery, oh well. It’s not like they’re not eating lol. Make sure you have something good to eat after you’re done cooking, so you’re not sitting there not eating or eating something you don’t like with resentment growing. You got this!

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I love to cook and he loves to eat. So, he will just have to work with me for a bit lol. He can eat a big lunch and snack for dinner until I can get my routine figured out. I'm learning from reading that everyone has been different. Did you have a support group outside of this?! I live 80 miles from where I'm having my surgery, so, with that being said, I won't be going to the support group after surgery.
My programs support group has been on hold since Covid, with no online option. I’m also in a rural area, so not sure how I would do an in person group. This is the only online group I participate in, as I’m engaged in it, because it’s pretty active with people in all stages of the WLS journey.

Congrats! I am 4 1/2 months post op and when I was told my tastebuds would fluctuate, I thought okay no problem. But I didn’t think it would be like this. I could love something one day and then be disgusted by it the next day. Be ready for that lol

As for cooking for your family, before surgery I cooked home cooked meal nearly everyday for my wife and 3 teenage boys. I still find it hard to cook sometimes because I can’t taste test what I’m cooking to make sure it tastes good. I like cooking for my family but my wife says that I try harder and take my time on the meals that I cook for myself and rush on the food I cook for them. I didn’t think I was but I caught myself doing it. Not deliberately. Not being able to eat what you cook or what you used to eat is difficult. So if I have to take more time on what I can eat, then that’s what I’m going to do. I just don’t cook like I did before surgery, oh well. It’s not like they’re not eating lol. Make sure you have something good to eat after you’re done cooking, so you’re not sitting there not eating or eating something you don’t like with resentment growing. You got this!
Thank you so much for your help! I am exactly the same way...when I cook...I have to taste as I'm going along to make sure it's seasoned and different things like that. This is my concern. So, I will definitely be cautious and aware of what may happen. Thank you

Hi there. It looks like we have some similarities in our weight and surgury plans. I am sheduled for the sleeve on November 28th. I started the process in January and I am so glad to finally be moving forward, but very scared also!
I am self pay, so, I barely started this in
September, but, I've been researching for a few years now. Congratulations on your schedule! I know we will do just fine! I can't wait to hear about yours. Best wishes to you.

During pre-op and for a couple of weeks post op my husband was on his own. I was to focus on fluid intake and getting protein in as I could. The last thing I wanted to mess with was cooking. My husband didn’t mind and was happy to take care of himself for a bit. He was super happy when I was able to cook for him again but he now eats what I cook and can eat, no exceptions. If he wants to eat crap that I can’t eat he has to make it himself. It was understood that this is how it would be after surgery from the beginning. Just be open and honest with your husband about what your expectations are for after surgery and see what his are and try to meet in the middle if you can.

My surgery was a success! I hit a few road blocks along the way but for the most part everything went great! I'm at home resting now. I do not like pain medicine and so far I have managed without it. I am doing my best to drink, but, I'm not going to lie, it kinda hurts after having the complications with the breathing tube.

Back