• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

Teresia

Hi I'm new here. Had my bypass surgery on October 2, 2023. I've read a lot of what you all are saying. Especially about the stall period. I'm having a lot of problems with my protein drinks giving me diarrhea really bad. I don't know what to do about it but I'm trying to eat what protein I'm aloud to eat to see if that will be alright. When I drink protein it's like I get the immediate dumping syndrome and I just don't know what to do. Am I doing something wrong? It only happens when I drink the protein drinks and I have tried the liquid and powder but it's all the same. It's really frustrating for me. I can't go anywhere for fear I will be too far from the bathroom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first bit of advice is to stop drinking that brand of protein shake. I used Trader Joe's whey-based protein shake and added other things to it before blending, like a banana or peach. But you might not be at a stage where you can do that. And it might not be right for you.

First thing you should do is get an anti-diarrheal. Then call your surgeon or nutritionist. This is a medical issue and it's dangerous to let it go on. Talk to a professional. We have a lot of experience here, but everyone is different. Your question is not for this group. It's a medical question and it is very serious, and you should be seeing a nutritionist or dietician who is a professional and can help you out immediately.

I took a few meds after surgery and you should ask a professional if you should be taking any particular meds, too. You might skip the shakes, find the recipe for Magic Milk I've posted here, and start building your OWN protein shakes.

Ive read that people can develop lactose intolerance after bariatric surgery. Have you tried a protein shake that does not contain milk? I am lactose intolerant and i drink Premier Protein shakes without any problems. It does not contain milk.

i am lactose intolerant and enjoy both Fairlife and muscle milk with no problems even though they are whey protein which my bariatric dietician said are the easiest to absorb. Ask you dietician, but mine said if you use a vegetarian protein source you have to double the grams of protein you drink to get the nutrition you need. I don't know how I feel about it and am thankful i found whey that works for me. I also have had to take a dose of fiber such as metamucil when I had diarrhea that went on for a bout a week before I called my dietician about it. She suggested fiber and it stopped that day without even having to take a second dose. Whew! I agree that you should talk to your dietician about all your symptoms before you take any of our advice however. Hope you seek and receive the answers you are looking for.

Fair life is lactose free. It may be the sugars. Fair life also ultra processes their milk, so it is naturally higher in protein than normal milk. Which may help you get extra protein by adding it to instant pudding mixes, soups whatever.
Also, you should try eating your protein when you can. Turkey, tuna, shrimp all high in protein in smaller doses. Which I'm sure you still need this far out. Cottage cheese and protein yogurt are also good choices early out.

Be sure to check ALL labels for sugar and fat content.

Back