• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here

Nisey

Hi, I've been dieting since January in order to get my Gastric Bypass. I still have about 9 pounds to lose to get to my goal before I have to go on a liquid diet for two weeks then I get to have my surgery. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. I want this weight to come off so badly. I weigh 349 lbs right now. When I weighed in at the doctors I weighed 368. I have been dieting since January. I weighed 388 in January but it was not documented at the hospital, darn it. Anyway, I'm just waiting to lose these few extra pounds so I can go on the liquid diet and have my surgery. Will post again when it's time for my surgery.

Hi, I've been dieting since January in order to get my Gastric Bypass. I still have about 9 pounds to lose to get to my goal before I have to go on a liquid diet for two weeks then I get to have my surgery. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. I want this weight to come off so badly. I weigh 349 lbs right now. When I weighed in at the doctors I weighed 368. I have been dieting since January. I weighed 388 in January but it was not documented at the hospital, darn it. Anyway, I'm just waiting to lose these few extra pounds so I can go on the liquid diet and have my surgery. Will post again when it's time for my surgery.

Hi Nisey! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Congratulations on your decision to have Bypass surgery and become healthier and slimmer!!! Bariatric surgery has a lot of preparation and work to satisfy the insurance company criteria but it is well worth it.

The journey is really amazing and I really enjoy seeing the pounds melt away. I feel that I have been reborn. Life is great, it is wonderful to feel normal again.

Good Luck to you!

Cheyenne:cool:

Hi everyone

Hi Nisey! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Congratulations on your decision to have Bypass surgery and become healthier and slimmer!!! Bariatric surgery has a lot of preparation and work to satisfy the insurance company criteria but it is well worth it.

The journey is really amazing and I really enjoy seeing the pounds melt away. I feel that I have been reborn. Life is great, it is wonderful to feel normal again.

Good Luck to you!

Hi everyone, Thank you for your replies. It's a slow process but I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm loving every minute of it, lol. Best of Luck to all of you as well.

Hello Nisey!

First off, Congratulations on your decision. That is the hardest decision of this entire process you have to take. Secondly, even though your weight-loss was not documented from the beginning you have to be proud of yourself because that is a great start to a new you!

I am like you, I begin my liquid diet starting Monday and am both nervous but excited. I have been heavy so long I just cannot wait to be thinner, healthy, and more active again.

I am going to recommend to you what Ralph (dancinbr) has mentioned to me in previous posts. His advice is to write down everything now of the things that you cannot do, what challenges you, and what you feel like. Also include the size of your clothing, your weight, and anything else you want to "remember" of how horrible you feel now.

Next reflect on how you are feeling as your weight loss started to come off (this is from when you went to the doctor until now). You can write down things like foods you avoided, what obstacles you came across, but most importantly highlight on the areas where you started noticing how much better you are feeling. In this "positive side" you should take note of how clothes are fitting on you, how much smaller you now can eat, drinking more water, etc...

Then as you begin the liquid diet keep writing in your journal of how you are beginning to feel. Reflect if you are having more energy, feeling good, how much weight you are losing, clothes feel, etc.

Like Ralph expressed to me before, its your journal so you can write whatever you want to in it, but keep in mind in the beginning the "negative side" are the things that limited you from enjoying your life before you were given the opportunity to become the new you which ultimately is the "positive side." Eventually you will see how things will transition from all negatives to mostly positives.

A good example for me is (my negative) I can barely breathe especially from walking out my door to my car. Or, climbing stairs is extremely hard on my lungs I will avoid them at all costs. I am looking to the day all my negatives to be my positives and through everyones support I know this can happen.

I know I am probably babbling, but keep up the good work.

~Debbie~

Hi Debbie S, thank you for your reply. You should see everything I right down, lol. It's crazy, lol. I'm always sitting at my desk reading my workbook, menus, writing in my journals, making sure I take my vitamins everyday. I want to do it all right. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I go weigh in on Monday, April 20th to see if I'm at goal weight to do the psychiatric evaluation. I spoke to my psychiatrist and she gave me the big YES to have the surgery. I'm so happy about that. She said I still have to go through the other psychiatrist through the Bariatrics Office. This is all so exciting. The hardest part is losing the weight before the surgery. Every time I get on the scale at home, all I think is, come on baby one more pound, lol btw, don't worry about babbling, lol. I like to do that too. Thank you so much for your advice. I will do my best to write everything down.

Hi Cheyenne, this journey, so far, has been a roller coaster ride. A lot of ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm enjoying every minute of it. The fact that I have my Husband and my kids to back me up is such a big blessing. The holidays have been fairly easy thanks to my family. They have tried to make food that they think is okay for me to eat and have done pretty well. I have two people in my life who are not feeling the surgery thing. Two very important people. It kind of bothers me. They think if I'm losing weight already why do I need to have the surgery. I've told them there is more to it than just losing the weight. It's getting rid of my Diabetes, and just feeling better among other things. They don't get it. How can I explain it to them Cheyenne? Thanks for listening.

Nisey, some people just don't get it. They just don't understand the big deal of losing weight. They think just eat less, and you will lose weight. You can try to convince them but in the end you only need to please yourself. Until they walk a day in your shoes they can not know what you go through on your journey through life. Once they see you dropping weight, once they see how happy and healthy you have become, then perhaps they will understand. Another factor maybe they have a fear of the surgery for you. If this is part of it then let them know that laparoscopic surgery is so much safer and less invasive and less painful than the old style of surgery. Then of course there are the people who love you fat and can't see the reason you want to change. Those type people probably can't ever be reasoned with because they don't see fat as a problem. In the end, you need to do this for yourself because you know it's the right thing to do. You're so lucky that you have a husband and kids who are standing behind you. If others choose not to be supportive then all you can do is accept it and hope they come around later.

Good luck on your journey. Surround yourself with positive people and you will succeed!!!

Hi Cheyenne, thank you for your input. That really helped me a lot. Maybe they will change their minds and maybe they won't. Either way, I'm having the surgery and they can't change that. I'm doing it for me. I'm sure you're right. It will probably take me having the surgery for them to realize it was a good thing in the end. Thank you dear.

Hi Cheyenne, thank you for your input. That really helped me a lot. Maybe they will change their minds and maybe they won't. Either way, I'm having the surgery and they can't change that. I'm doing it for me. I'm sure you're right. It will probably take me having the surgery for them to realize it was a good thing in the end. Thank you dear.

You're quite welcome, Nisey! :)

Oh did you hit the nail on the head.

This is for YOU!!

Noone else.

This is for you to regain your health, to control your diabetes without medication. To eliminate whatever meds you are taking for this or that as a result of excessive weight.

For you to be able to climb those stairs again without losing your breath.

For you for you for you!

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi dancinbr, thank you for reminding me its for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing it for everyone else. I get comments like, oh I'm sick and tired of having to deal with this wheelchair and I wish you wouldn't use this wheelchair all of the time, etc. I'm trying to get out of my wheelchair but I have two arthritic knees. One possibly needs surgery. We shall see. Maybe when I lose weight it will get better, I hope. I'm so excited. I go today to weigh in to see if I get my Psychiatric evaluation today. Then I call in to the Bariatrics Office and give them my info and wait for their call for the evaluation. I can't wait. Then, I should get a surgery date.

Well, I did it. I weighed in on April 20th. I'm excited to say I went below my goal weight of 345. I weighed in at 342. I came home and called my Bariatrics Office and I have an appt for the Psychiatric evaluation on May 1, 2015. I'm so close to getting my surgery. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. The next thing is the liquid diet, fun. (Sarcasm) lol. I know this will all be worth it in the end. I just need to be strong. Besides I have a big reward coming to myself when I hit my goal weight of 150. I might get it a little sooner, we shall see, lol. I tell you all what that is later, okay?!

Hi dancinbr, thank you for reminding me its for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing it for everyone else. I get comments like, oh I'm sick and tired of having to deal with this wheelchair and I wish you wouldn't use this wheelchair all of the time, etc. I'm trying to get out of my wheelchair but I have two arthritic knees. One possibly needs surgery. We shall see. Maybe when I lose weight it will get better, I hope. I'm so excited. I go today to weigh in to see if I get my Psychiatric evaluation today. Then I call in to the Bariatrics Office and give them my info and wait for their call for the evaluation. I can't wait. Then, I should get a surgery date.

Nisey, I also have arthritis in my knees. My knees are bone on bone. I was told by a surgeon that I needed knee replacement surgery. At my heaviest, I also used a wheelchair alot, I always used it when I went to the doctor or had any kind of walking to do more than a very short walk. Now since I lost a lot of weight, I never need a wheelchair, my knees don't hurt at all unless I do a whole lot of walking. I am planning on getting the surgery eventually so I can walk longer and walk better. I just haven't got around to it yet. I'm sure you will feel a big improvement once your weight drops significantly.

Good Luck!

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne, thank you for telling me that. I really needed that reassurance. That's awesome. My husband and Daughter said they want to have a bonfire and burn my chair, lol. They hate it so much, lol. Even if I have to use crutches later on that's better than a wheelchair. I'm so happy about that. Thank you Cheyenne. You're a great big help to me. Would you please friend me? Dancinbr did. Thanks a bunch.

Nisey,

I just went to my pre-op class yesterday since my surgery is in 12 days and I am already off of 2 meds. I am sure that you will be off of some too. As far as the weight loss goes, my doctors told me to not focus on what i am losing now because it might be what you expected. For example, I have Lymphedema so i always carry a lot of water weight. Sometimes its a little and other times it is extreme. Anyways, I lost like 12 pounds and just yesterday i was weighed in and gained it back. HOWEVER, the doctor could tell by looking at my legs it was water. Plus, all my lab work came back EXCELLENT.

Bottom line is "YOU" will be a much healthier and happier you when this is all done. You are doing this for you to make a difference in your life.

So happy for you.

Congratulations on the best decision you will have ever made!

~Debbie

Hi Cheyenne, thank you for telling me that. I really needed that reassurance. That's awesome. My husband and Daughter said they want to have a bonfire and burn my chair, lol. They hate it so much, lol. Even if I have to use crutches later on that's better than a wheelchair. I'm so happy about that. Thank you Cheyenne. You're a great big help to me. Would you please friend me? Dancinbr did. Thanks a bunch.

Sent you a friend request. Funny thing is I had 2 friend requests which I hadn't seen til I sent you yours. Usually the forum sends me an email telling me that they are here. Not this time! Oh well, hope the requests hadn't been there too long.

Cheyenne

Nisey,

I just went to my pre-op class yesterday since my surgery is in 12 days and I am already off of 2 meds. I am sure that you will be off of some too. As far as the weight loss goes, my doctors told me to not focus on what i am losing now because it might be what you expected. For example, I have Lymphedema so i always carry a lot of water weight. Sometimes its a little and other times it is extreme. Anyways, I lost like 12 pounds and just yesterday i was weighed in and gained it back. HOWEVER, the doctor could tell by looking at my legs it was water. Plus, all my lab work came back EXCELLENT.

Bottom line is "YOU" will be a much healthier and happier you when this is all done. You are doing this for you to make a difference in your life.

So happy for you.

Congratulations on the best decision you will have ever made!

~Debbie

Debbie, My weight also does that thing of gain and lose water weight significantly if I am not really careful to watch the sodium in my diet. I never salt anything but sometimes I eat something from a restaurant or bring home and eat processed frozen food. Taking Lasix helps me a lot but it doesn't always fix it entirely.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Debbie S, congrats being off of 2 meds. That's awesome. Not focusing on losing pounds is really hard when that's what we have been doing for all of these months. It's scary to see any weight come back on, at least for me because I have worked soooooo hard to get where I'm at as I'm sure everyone here has. I'm so excited for you to get your surgery. I should know within the next week when mine is. Good luck to you

Hi everybody, well tomorrow, May 1, 2015 I weigh in and get my Psychiatric evaluation. I'm really nervous. My biggest problem right now is I'm so bloated and I'm afraid I won't lose the few pounds I need to lose before tomorrow. I'm hoping I get a surgery date tomorrow. I won't if I'm not at my goal of 340. I'm at 342 right now. If I could just get rid of the bloat over night I know I would be fine. I have an idea to eat lots of spinach. Hopefully that will help. I'll let you know how my appointment goes tomorrow. Thanks for letting me vent, lol.

Back