• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

palbee

Good Morning
I am new here. I am contemplating RYGB instead of Nissen Fundalication for GERD. My surgeon recommended RYGB instead of Nissen due to my weight and comorbidities. I am a diabetic, psoriatic arthritis and high blood pressure. Surgeon feels that Nissen will fail because of weight and RYGB is my best option.
I am a nurse of 15 years. I worked on surgical floor my first 5 years. I saw a lot of people with extreme issues from gastric bypass. I have not heard of enough people not having issues.
I would just like to know if people who did have issues did they wish they never had surgery?
Surgery is my future one way or another since GERD is so severe and medication does not control at all.

Thanks

I have the exact same trio. I didn't have complications so I am of no help! I'm happy with the surgery. I was worried about the lack of nsaids with the arthritis but so far it's been fine. Still on remicade and methotrexate but they cut my metho in half. I was on 15mgs a week, now 7.5.

eladams2015

I wasn't looking for WLS but have been doing more research on it. Most of the diet restrictions I already do. I already eat small portions. My weight has been stable for last 10 years no matter what i do. I was diet controlled diabetic until 6 months ago when flares of psoriatic arthritis had me on steroids. My blood pressure is controlled, my diabetes is now controlled with small dose of long acting insulin(did not tolerate oral meds or they were contraindicated) and diet and arthritis is starting to be controlled with biologic.

I am concerned for long term effects of WLS. I cant control GERD symptoms eventhough I am on 2 proton pump inhibitors. I dont eat spicy food, dont eat after 6pm, sleep either in recliner or with bed at 45 degree angle. Still have severe symptoms.

Hi there palbee and welcome. I think if you poke around this site, you'll find many of us who had RNY gastric bypass without any complications. A few of us have actually mentioned that we were waiting for the bad stuff to hit but that we're apparently best-case scenarios. Personally, I'm 9 1/2 months post-op and have never felt better. :)

Good Morning
I am new here. I am contemplating RYGB instead of Nissen Fundalication for GERD. My surgeon recommended RYGB instead of Nissen due to my weight and comorbidities. I am a diabetic, psoriatic arthritis and high blood pressure. Surgeon feels that Nissen will fail because of weight and RYGB is my best option.
I am a nurse of 15 years. I worked on surgical floor my first 5 years. I saw a lot of people with extreme issues from gastric bypass. I have not heard of enough people not having issues.
I would just like to know if people who did have issues did they wish they never had surgery?
Surgery is my future one way or another since GERD is so severe and medication does not control at all.

Thanks
I had RNY due to 2 failed Nissen fundiplications, severe GERD and gastroparesis around 8 months ago. Couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep. But I was still terrified and I had a lot of complications. I don’t suffer with any of those ailments any more, and I’m also nice and skinny :)
But it certainly wasn’t plain sailing for me, and I’m not quite back to my normal self yet. Looking back, I don’t think I was prepared. I didn’t do enough research. I didn’t have any counseling, I saw a dietician just once, and no follow ups unless of course I have any issues. I suffer with exhaustion and I also struggle with the fact that I really want to eat, and I certainly don’t need to lose any more weight, but sometimes I can’t eat and I have to resort to soups and yogurt etc. It’s normally when I’m really looking forward to something like at thanksgiving, when I couldn’t eat any dinner at all. I also hate the fact that I have lost quite a lot of hair, which I know some people think is trivial, but it is a big deal for me. I am hoping that all of this improves, I had a very tough couple of years with 4 surgeries and a lot of hospital stays. I just need to build up my strength now!

Back