• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New, Hopeful, and Nervous

dragonfly11

Hi Everyone,
I don't have a set date because my doctor wants me to drop 45 pounds on my own, which is daunting, to say the least. I have lost over 21 so far and am battling both temptations and frustrations. He thinks I should have my surgery in early November. I have done a lot of research, but I guess I would ask those who have already done the bypass, any advice considering where I am at this stage? Many thanks for your support!
Jenn

HI Jenn, Welcome. Keep doing your best to fight the temptation as frustrating as it may be it will pay off in the end your down 21 with only 24 to go, your doing great:D. Did you get a meal plan to follow to help you out on this part of your journey? Try keeping a food journal of what you eat and when you eat it and also track the calories and protien consumed for each meal, that will help you get an idea of what is working for you. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the advice, Tom! Yes, I'm on a 3-protein shake/1 small meal plan a day. I haven't been journaling, but that is probably a good way for me to move forward. It's only been 8 days, but my daily loss has decreased drastically. I think I'm just full of "what if I can't get to the point of 40" type of worry. It's been YEARS of me coming to realize that this surgery may truly save my life and I'm just anxious to move on. YOU LOOK FABULOUS. Can I ask how the recovery was for you?

Hi Jenn, 21 lbs in 8 days is fantastic, you are more than likely at a plateau and your body needs to catch up, it probably thinks you are starving so it will slow down your matabalizm a bit, try some light to moderat exercises to help speed cack up your matabalism a bit.

My recover went really good I started with a rapid weight loss of about a pound a day for the first 70 pounds then slowed down a bit and I also developed a tremendouse thirst for alcohol that nearly did me in but I kicked that with the help of AA and now everything is back on track, I ended up losing my job over it but it is a small price to pay for my health. I am stuck betwqeen 180 and 185 right now so I really need to start increasing my work outs and watch what I eat, not doing the work I used to do makes it more difficult to keep the weight off however I still walk about 5 miles a day, it is not the same as fighting fire.

Overa all everything has been good, you may go on an emotional rollercoaster ride while you are waiting for the surgery and for a month or so afterwards but that all goes away when the pounds start coming off and you start feeling better and get a new energy that you probably havent felt in years. :cool: Tom

Dear Dragonfly, welcome and I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated. I think it will all work out in the end, especially when your doctor sees the progress you have already made.

Hi, Jenn,

Like so many people, you're probably not getting enough fiber, generally recommended at 25-38g daily. It might be just what you need to help you lose the rest of the weight your doctor wants you to lose before surgery. You'll be adding fiber to your daily routine anyway, after wls. Seems like it would be okay to start it a little early. You'll just be that much ahead in the beginning of your new life. Still, be sure to ask your doctor or nutritionist first, of course.

Dragonfly-When I do the math I see you are already down 25 pounds :) That is absolutely fantastick!!! You have only 20 pounds to go. If you keep doing what you are doing more weight should come off rather quickly. In my humble opinion I think your doctor will give you a surgery date even if you don't quite make his goal of 45 pounds. I would set up an appointment for about 1 week from now so he can see how well you have done. If he requires his patients to go on a 1 to 2 week modified liquid diet you will lose even more weight during that timeframe which will put you at or below the weight he wants you to be at.

Make that appointment and let us know how you are doing. Keep up the good work :) :) :)

Tom, sorry to hear about your struggles with alcohol. I hear this is VERY common and in fact, had a friend who had a husband who went through this same experience. He's still struggling it, actually. I think it is difficult to shed one vice and not develop another...

Yes, plateau for sure. I just started slowly walking tonight. I'm so heavy that it is difficult to do much more...

Reading stories like yours and hearing from real people (not just doctors) really helps to inspire me and keep me moving forward in the process so thanks so much!

Thank YOU too for all the supportive encouragement. I will need it. My husband died 5 years ago. I was a young widow. I have two amazing kids, but they are still young. I have great family around, but at times feel very alone. This group seems so welcoming. Thanks for that! I really need it. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again, everyone. Down 35.8 this morning. Keeping the goal in sight! Some days are much harder than others. Sometimes I barely get through...sometimes I question if I'm doing the right thing...

Thank YOU too for all the supportive encouragement. I will need it. My husband died 5 years ago. I was a young widow. I have two amazing kids, but they are still young. I have great family around, but at times feel very alone. This group seems so welcoming. Thanks for that! I really need it. I will keep everyone posted.

I know how you feel. My husband died less than 2 years ago. Sometimes I feel guilty that I am doing this now instead of when he was here. He would have loved to see me a normal size again.
My kids are grown, but I still feel like a young widow (I was 60 when he died). We never got to do all the retirement things we were planning or get to the place where we were just having fun (as in no obligations to work, etc.). We had 36 great years together and one really awful year, so I'm thankful for that.

37 lbs!!! You should be very very proud of yourself! 37 lbs gone even before the surgery! That is wonderful. I see great things for you in your future.
Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

Today I am less New, more Hopeful and about the same Nervous. :) I'm down over 50 lbs, have really gone through a questioning cycle and come through the other side more determined than ever to have the surgery. Date is 12/4. It seems far away for me, but I also now a lot about how sneaky time is! :) Hope everyone is well!

Hi Dragonfly and Karenina,

I, too, am a widow of less than two years. My husband was opposed to me getting a lapband or having surgery. I am sorry for your losses. Sometimes it is very hard. Actually, I lost my first husband at 29 and raised our two children by myself. Remarried and had a wonderful 28 years before he passed away. It's hard being alone even though I do have good family support, it isn't the same. I am so thankful for this Forum.

Good luck to you both on this Journey we are taking.

Joy

Joy and Karenina,
I'm a big believer in "things happen for reason" and I find it so amazing that on a site devoted to WLS, we three have connected on another big common ground. I'm so sorry for both of your losses as I have experienced a similar pain (though each loss is unique to each one of us). It seems we all belong to this club none of us would like to belong to. Karenina, I, too, have struggled with great guilt over staying heavy with my husband and making decision after he is gone, but of course I also know he would want me to become the happier version of myself that awaits. Ladies, I'm here to "talk" anytime whether it is over WLS or our grief or just life in general. Best wishes to us all. <3

Dragonfly, JavaJoy and Karenina-Make that 4 of us who have lost our husbands. I've been a widow since 1996...

I lost my wife to cancer in 2002, she was a fighter though, but the cancer was really aggresive. It's not a club we would choose to be in but none the less we are still here, my deepest sympathies for your losses, I truely know what it feels like, we shouldn't feel guilty but strive to get healthy so can enjoy the memories of the time we had to spend with them, I am sure my wife would be really proud of me now and your husbands would also feel the same and if you believe in a Heaven rest assured they are all looking down on us know cheering us on. :cool: Tom

Back