• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New. How do I get protein in?

Hello I am new to the group. Had surgery 10/23. Doing ok overall but having hard time getting protein or much down for that matter. No vomiting, just nausea with double milk. Would like any advice. Thank you.

Hi Gracie's Momma, Once you get to the second week of liquid you can use protein shakes to get your protein. You can try Isopure drinks, they don't taste great, but once you get used to them they're ok. I used that to get my proteins for the first week, I was getting 80 grams per day.

Gaciesmomma-Welcome to the forum. Since protein drinks count towards your daily fluid goal try just drinking them instead of your water. You can thin them down a little with water or milk if you find them too rich or too thick. Just sip it slowly throughout the day and before you know it you will have your protein in. You won't be able to get the entire 60 grams of protein in for another week or 2 but try to get in as much as possible every day.

Hello I am new to the group. Had surgery 10/23. Doing ok overall but having hard time getting protein or much down for that matter. No vomiting, just nausea with double milk. Would like any advice. Thank you.

Welcome, Gracie's Momma,

And Congratulations on your wls!

I don't know what "double milk" is.

As for your protein, fkrebs mentioned Isopure and there are other brands of clear protein drinks. As to taste, mix them with as much water as necessary. If your drink has 25g of protein, cutting it with another 8oz of water only means it will take you longer to drink it. Whether it takes you 1/2 hour or it takes you 3 hours to drink it all down, you still have consumed 25g of progein.

Some people find cold drinks hard to manage initially. You may find room temperature, or even slightly warm drinks easier.

Just keep working on it, a few sips at a time. Frequently. You'll get there. And the more protein and other fluids you get in, the faster and easier you'll heal.

They say the first week is the hardest. And you're already past that! Kudos to you for a job well done.

Thanks for the encouragement & info. I really did think I was supposed to be getting all 50 grams of protein in. Double milk is skim milk or light soy milk with 1/3 of a cup dry milk added to it. Its very thick & sweet. Just cant tolerate it. I am gonna look for the clear protein powder. Thanks again.

gracie'smomma
hi
I tooo having same problem getting protein in, DID you find CLEAR protein? I would love to find some that has no taste so I could add to water etc. gag on my protein drinks, I have tried carnation no sugar added, and two others one chocolate and strawberry brand and I mix them with skim milk, it's hard to get a coffee cup full down and I add ice to them cause I am not a fan of milk, have not tried mixing with water figured that would be worst. I wish there were a protein pill could take 3 times a day would be easier, food is still an issue too, I hate when it gets stuck right in the middle of your chest bone, so painful, a simple scrambled egg can feel like a bolder to me.
Hope things are going better for you,
Donna

pat99
HI PAT I OWE YOU A BIG APOLOGY FOR NOT RETURNING YOUR PHONE CALL, MY MOM SAID SHE ENJOYED TALKING WITH YOU, I'VE TRULY BEEN ONE SICK LADY, TODAY IS TRULY THE FIRST DAY IN 4O SOME DAYS SINCE I HAVE FELT HUMAN, I WILL TRY TO CALL YOU TODAY .
I HAVE SO MANY ? I THINK YOU COULD POSSIBLY ANSWER FOR ME AND TELL ME WHAT MORE TO EXPECT AND WHAT I AM DOING WRONG TO CAUSE SO MUCH DISCOMFORT TO MYSELF. I KNOW THE MEDICAL STUFF THAT HAPPENED TO ME AND WHY IT'S THE FOOD THINGS AND THE NAUSEUA AND OTHER ISSUES I AM WONDERING ABOUT AND HOW LONG THEY LAST AND DO YOUR TASTE BUDS EVER GO BACK TO 'NORMAL" THE SIMPLEST FOODS DON'T EVEN TASTE THE SAME. BUT THE MIND STILL WANTS TO WONDER OFF AND THINK OF CARBS WHICH I REALIZE IS A LIFETIME ISSUE I MUST OVERCOME IF I WANT TO SUCCEED FOREVER WITH THIS NEW LIFESTYLE I HAVE CHOSEN. ONE DAY AT A TIME SWEET JESUS IS ALL I CAN ASK.
HOPE TO GET TO TALK TO YOU SOMETIME TODAY
HOPE YOUR DAY IS GOING WELL FOR YOU.
DONNA

A friend of mine said EAS chocolate shakes aren't to bad & protein powder you can mix in any liquid. She gets both at Sam's Club. I am gonna look around before I go get a membership. Im sure they are pricey. CIB, skim milk & dry milk powder are supposed to be cheap ways to get protein in per my dietician but I cant tolerate it. My friend said 1 EAS shake has almost your daily protein.

My surgery won't be until the end of Dec or in early January and right now I have been stocking up on samples since most of the time we end up changing our tastes afterward. I have been thinking about how to get that protein in especially the first week with clear liquids. Isopure and also what about those protein whey shots out there? You can get that in -in a shorter period of time. Then being able to move on to the protein shakes, etc.
I have also found some nice protein loaded jello for the first week. I have even thought about putting them (the shots) in popsicle making trays and making popsicles-that gives you something to chew on that is clear liquid, etc..

Carol

I have not found unflavored Isopure or other protein. My local GNC only had vanilla. I will go a bigger place this weekend. What is protein jello? Its very hard to get large amounts of liquid in as my stomach gets full. I do better with pudding & yogurt. Thinking about trying to mix protein powder with these?? My program does not want me to use supplements or shakes at all but I just cant follow their plan. I cannot tolerate the dry powdered milk. Goodluck to you on your upcoming surgery.

CarolF5 hi may I ask where did you find protein loaded jello??? that sounds heavenly? I live in Illinois so curious if you ordered if off line or a local store. please let me know when you have time.
thanks
donna

ps the pic you have with little kitten is so adorable

They actually have the protein jello on amazon. I was searching around for cheaper things that I would be able to have and knowing that especially the first week after we need to get in the protein and fluids-this combines both. The protein chicken soup is on Unjury's site. I have also been running around looking on Nashua Nutrition. Both there and Unjury you can buy the single serving packets to check out to see if you like it after the surgery, as tastes change.
Carol

Gracie and Donna,

You can make your own protein Jello-O. Make some sugar free Jell-O minus 3 tablespoons of the water. After adding the cold water add a scoop of protein powder, unflavored and vanilla flavor would taste the best. Stir until the protein powder disolves completly. Chill until set.

Thanks for the encouragement & info. I really did think I was supposed to be getting all 50 grams of protein in. Double milk is skim milk or light soy milk with 1/3 of a cup dry milk added to it. Its very thick & sweet. Just cant tolerate it. I am gonna look for the clear protein powder. Thanks again.

gRACIESMOM-You can buy fruit flavored protein drink mixes from the store on this forum (see link below) Here is some information on what I am talking about: ProtiDiet Fruit Drink Concentrates are a flavored liquid protein concentrate that you simply mix in with 5 to 10 ounces of cold water for a refreshing cool treat. Each flavor has 15 grams of Protein with only 60-70 calories and 2 grams of Sugar per serving.

http://store.americanbariatrics.org...oncentrate_p/protidiet-liquid-fruit-drink.htm

I am 6 weeks post surgery, and am in no hurry to eat regular food. I have been like you with the nausea, not from milk, but from some of the soft foods I have tried to incorporate into my diet. My Dr. says it's perfectly normal, some people are ready for real food sooner than others. As long as I can get my vitamins and protein in, liquids are fine. So I have been enjoying protein smoothies. I use the Silk Fruit and Protein as my liquid, add fresh fruit or frozen yoplait smoothie ,add my protein powder (vanilla or chocolate depending on the smoothie) and I am good to go. I sip on one for about an hour and feel full and satisfied. I drink one each morning and one at night, and sometimes will throw one in for lunch. I invested in a Ninja blender system right after surgery and it has paid for itself already.

ISOPURE is what gets me to my protein goal. I buy it online at dietdirect.com. It's like koolaid, just not as sweet. After the 6 weeks of shakes only, prewls, I couldn't tolerate them anymore! Dietician recommended the isopure for many of us in the group. Many nutrician stores carry it in metros.

Pat99

THANKS LOVE THAT IDEA ABOUT THE JELLO AND WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY VANILLA YET I KNOW IT'S OUT THERE I ASSUME YOU MEAN POWDER? I JUST WISH I COULD TAKE PROTEIN PILLS AND GET IT ALL IN AND THEN ANY EXTRA I WOULD GET IN WOULD BE EXTRA, FOR I AM SICK OF PROTEIN SHAKES I JUST WANT TO GAG WHEN I SMELL THEM. BODY LIMITS WHAT IT WILL ALLOW ME TO INTAKE,TODAY IS DAY 56 I KNOW I HAVE A LONG WAYS TO GO AND I SHOULD NOT COMPLAIN. JUST WISH I COULD FAST FORWARD MY HEALING, QUESS EVERYBODY HAS DAY'S LIKE THIS TOO IT'S JUST HARD FINDING SOMETHING THAT TASTE GOOD AND THAT YOU GET THE IDEA OK I 'LL TRY THIS AND BY THE TIME I GO GET LET'S SAY A CAN OF TUNA AND GET READY TO OPEN IT MY MIND CAN'T STAND THE THOUGHT'S OF IT , KEEPS HAPPEN WITH ALOT OF FOODS BUT I WON'T GIVE UP I MUST KEEP TRYING FOR PROTEIN IS THE ANSWER I KNOW AND SO IMPORTANT. HOPEFULLY TOMMOROW WILL BE A MORE SUCCESSFUL FOOD DAY.
HOPE YOU'RE HAVING A GOOD WEEKEND
DONNA

I would get pick up some sample packets of differant protein drinks as most people's taste change after surgery-what you like now-you may not after surgery. Isopure, nectar liquids, etc-there is a whole range of things out there. Each person's taste buds are differant. That is what I have done.
I also picked up some unflavored protein powder-can put in anything-just make sure the temp of the hot liquid is less than 140-I would keep it at 130.
With my sample packets I have something to start with and can go from there. Here we start with the clear liquids-so, protein chicken broth, protein jello, protein popsicles will do for a start.

Carol

Welcome, GraciesMomma. Before and after surgery, I became a connoisseur of ready to drink shakes and also protein powder. I got a little creative with the powder before surgery but the first few weeks afterwards, all I wanted to do was easily get my protein in and that meant paying the extra price for the ready made shakes. I think I've tried at least 75% of what's on the market and the one I like best is Premier Protein with 30 g of protein from Sam's ($19 per box last time). To me, the chocolate has the best taste, consistency and "smell." You know what I mean. The higher you go on grams of protein per shake, the thicker and smellier they are and it's hard to choke them down, at least for me. The ones that have only 15 g of protein taste pretty good but the calorie content is about the same as Premier and I'd rather drink one of Premier's and get double the protein and basically the same calories. It's personal preference, though. Never heard of double milk or using powdered milk in anything from my doctor or nutritionist. Is that part of your doctor's plan? Good luck. You'll settle on something that works for you.

My support group meets tomorrow night and I'm going to ask them if they want to start a swap of sorts where everyone brings in a few ready to drink shakes and we can swap out to try something new without having to purchase a full box.

You can make your own protein Jello-O. Make some sugar free Jell-O minus 3 tablespoons of the water. After adding the cold water add a scoop of protein powder, unflavored and vanilla flavor would taste the best. Stir until the protein powder disolves completly. Chill until set.

Thanks for the recipe, Pat99. I will be excited to try it just as soon as I get some SF Jello mix.

Back