• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New issue....low calcium.

Carolyn270

Take your calcium supplements people. It feels awful without it. I went to my three month post op appointment and found out I'm not getting enough in. 6.4 and I am stressed out about it. I am waiting til Monday to talk to my doctor but I need to know if I should get a calcium IV. Has anyone else dealt with this? By the way sugar and bp doing ok...now. :oops:

Glad to hear your sugar and bp are doing okay! :) I have my results on how everything is going next week and I'll find out if my levels are where they need to be. I take 1500 mg. of calcium a day, are you doing the same? Also, they checked you at 3 months, is that normal? I didn't have to have any blood work or tests run until my six month check up and had them done just the other day. Anyway, I hope you don't have to have an IV. I would think if you just upped your calcium intake daily it would build back over time? Isn't there a limit as well? Like your body can only absorb up to 600 mg of calcium every 4 hours? It would be terrible to be on an IV for hours. :( Oh, and I hope they told you not to take iron and calcium at the same time as they cancel each other out on absorption. Anyway, I hope this gets sorted for you soon, you are doing so well with everything else. :D

Glad to hear your sugar and bp are doing okay! :) I have my results on how everything is going next week and I'll find out if my levels are where they need to be. I take 1500 mg. of calcium a day, are you doing the same? Also, they checked you at 3 months, is that normal? I didn't have to have any blood work or tests run until my six month check up and had them done just the other day. Anyway, I hope you don't have to have an IV. I would think if you just upped your calcium intake daily it would build back over time? Isn't there a limit as well? Like your body can only absorb up to 600 mg of calcium every 4 hours? It would be terrible to be on an IV for hours. :( Oh, and I hope they told you not to take iron and calcium at the same time as they cancel each other out on absorption. Anyway, I hope this gets sorted for you soon, you are doing so well with everything else. :D
Thank you. Yes I am takin the calcium and iron separately. I was prescribed a supplement to supplement that but the pharmacy is closed til tomorrow. I just don't know if my body would wait that long, but I'll try. I will see before days end what I need to do. I am grateful to you for your encouraging words. I think it was normal to check me out at 3 months according to my bariatric team. I don't go back again til February. So it was 1 month, three months and six months. At one month one of my vitamins level was too high. But that is normal now. Anyhow, I will keep you posted on the calcium issue.

Isn't it weird how very different each bariatric team does things? I mean, you'd think they would all get on the same wave length for best possible patient care! Anyway, I also had a 1 month and 3 month checkup, but they didn't want vitamin/calcium levels and blood work until 6 months out from surgery. They said there would be too much flux while I was healing, now I am wondering if that was because I had 2 surgeries in the same day. Oh and I'm rambling :p

Hi, I just had my calcium checked for the first time and my surgery was back in December, I was a little worried that my calcium would be low, I have been taking viativ chews, chocolate and caramel flavors, they are really yummy, I take two in the am and two in the PM, and my blood work came back good, so I will keep taking them

I was told that if I experience tingling of the hands face or feet that I should seek immediate help. I sought help...well not immediately. But here I am back in the hospital trying to help the doctors figure our what's going on. This is day two. I am wondering if this can be related to the bariatric surgery. My calcium is back to normal by no fault of mine. But that's good, right?

I was told that if I experience tingling of the hands face or feet that I should seek immediate help. I sought help...well not immediately. But here I am back in the hospital trying to help the doctors figure our what's going on. This is day two. I am wondering if this can be related to the bariatric surgery. My calcium is back to normal by no fault of mine. But that's good, right?
Ugh, here you are helping me out with advice and you are in the hospital, please keep us updated on how you are doing

Tracy - your post reminded me that I wanted to check out those chews and try them. I'm going to do that! *makes a note of it*

Carolyn! Yikes the hospital. :( I hope they figure it out and soon! I agree with Tracy, keep us updated!

How we doing this morning

How we doing this morning
I just got done eating the nastiest eggs. What a bunmer. Otherwise, I am exhausted. Still slightly dizzy but only a mild headache. No tingling. Seem to be getting strength back on the right size. You would swear I had a stroke but not according to the mri.

Back