• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Kid on the Block

I am new to the forum and unsure how this works. I have been reading threads and gaining a lot of insight as to what is ahead of me. I am excited and scared at the same time. I am ready to get on with my new adventure. I look in the mirror trying to imagine what my life will be like. I have a little more than a month to go before my surgery and I am trying to prepare my self. Does anyone have any tips? :)

Hi.. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
I was just like you.. excited but very fearful at the same time. As the time got closer, it was the day before the surgery, I became more relaxed, putting my faith in my surgeon, and thinking positive thoughts. The day of the surgery I remember just thinking that this was really going to happen and I wanted to enjoy the experience and relax and know this was going to be the first day of my new life. All went well and I have never once regretted having the surgery. I am almost 5 months out now. Life is good except for the gallbladder attack I had last week. Just try to relax and enjoy the ride to your new life. :)

Hi Suga_mamma, I'm excited for you. I had the sleeve surgery in May and have lost 64 lbs. I have never been able to lose that much weight at one time. I am so glad I had the surgery. I really believe I will be able to lose all the weight and keep it off. The surgery really does help you stay on track. I'm sure you've been told and it is true, the surgery is a tool. You still have to work at it by choosing to eat the protein, vegetables, and fruit, but the surgery makes it easier to eat right. I still have cravings for potato chips and I do give in once in a while, but it does slow my weight loss. It seems to be easier to get back on track though. I know you can do this if I can! I have gone from size 3 or 4X to XL, so it is very exciting. I also am taking some exercise classes at work and have the energy to do them. Best wishes!

Hi and welcome!!! My surgery date is just a week before yours and I am giddy and anxious as well. The only nerves I really have about it is going under but that's just an thing of mine. It's more surreal like its not really happening but the closer I get the more real it becomes. I have a count down and I prepping myself mentally for the liquid diet. Thankfully both of my parents have the band so in support of me Thanksgiving wont be a huge day of food since my pre-op diet starts the day before Thanksgiving and my purees will start on or around the day after Christmas.

As far as protein goes Unjury makes an unflavored protein powder that you can add to you purees when you get to that stage and you can also add to your broths and crystal light (not recommended in plain water) during your liquid pre-op and post-op.

Back