• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gecko78

Hi all! I'm new here so hope I can get this right. I had my surgery on Feb 19th. Due to the fact I live so far away from my dr, I don't see him for my first follow-up until this Friday (3/7). One of the things I'm wondering about is, has anyone else had really bad back pain at about the T4-T9? Also, has anyone had issues with having a rib popped out of place by the surgeon?
I have had a constant cramp from the front of my stomach/chest, around my left side into my back. I have had it pretty much since leaving the hospital the Friday following the surgery. My dr's nurse said that it could be bubbles from the surgery. I don't think so. I know the difference.
Any thoughts or ideas that I use to help with these will be great. Thanks all!

Sounds like the post surgical gas pain... Surgeons use gas to inflate you belly during laparoscopic so they can view and access the contents of your abdominal cavity.

Walking will help get this stuff moving out quickly... I felt the gas pain for almost 2 weeks, it did get better with each passing day...

Hi all! I'm new here so hope I can get this right. I had my surgery on Feb 19th. Due to the fact I live so far away from my dr, I don't see him for my first follow-up until this Friday (3/7). One of the things I'm wondering about is, has anyone else had really bad back pain at about the T4-T9? Also, has anyone had issues with having a rib popped out of place by the surgeon?
I have had a constant cramp from the front of my stomach/chest, around my left side into my back. I have had it pretty much since leaving the hospital the Friday following the surgery. My dr's nurse said that it could be bubbles from the surgery. I don't think so. I know the difference.
Any thoughts or ideas that I use to help with these will be great. Thanks all!

It is usually gas trapped in various places.

I had a terrible pain in my upper left shoulder. It was gas that was trapped. The only way to get rid of all this is to walk and move around in general. Little by little it all gets out and you start feeling better. Use your pain killers to help.

Muscle Spasm?

I would think it was gas as well (I have had two previous abdominal surgeries so I know the feeling), if it wasn't for the fact I have literally been walking my tushy off...lol. I had the bubbles the 3 days I was in the hospital but once I was out and able to move about they stopped. Yet, this muscle cramp persisted and has, at times, gotten so bad it has doubled me over. It feels like I have run a 10k race without water and without a break. My nurse said it was from stretching of the muscles but I would have thought by day 14, it would have stopped.

I had some major pain for two days starting around my seventh day after surgery. I was worried I would have to go to the hospital but it ended up just being the healing process. I had no pain before that and then started getting the sharp stabbing pains. There is an awful lot of heeling internally and externally. If the pain persists though, I would head to the hospital. It is always better to be safe.

I would think it was gas as well (I have had two previous abdominal surgeries so I know the feeling), if it wasn't for the fact I have literally been walking my tushy off...lol. I had the bubbles the 3 days I was in the hospital but once I was out and able to move about they stopped. Yet, this muscle cramp persisted and has, at times, gotten so bad it has doubled me over. It feels like I have run a 10k race without water and without a break. My nurse said it was from stretching of the muscles but I would have thought by day 14, it would have stopped.
If your surgeon had to stitch or cut through muscle, it might well be that kind of pain. I had it and it hung around long after the other pains got better.

You know your body better than anyone else, if you are concerned that something else is going on ask for AP/Lateral Chest X-Ray. Be your own health care advocate. You can have the X-Ray completed at a med -express or something that is similar. If you dom have brused/fractured ribs you need to cough and deep breathe frequently by splinting your chest with a pillow the doctor may want to support your rib cage with a 6-8 inch ace bandage. At any level you should take a proactive approach about chest pain.

You know your body better than anyone else, if you are concerned that something else is going on ask for AP/Lateral Chest X-Ray. Be your own health care advocate. You can have the X-Ray completed at a med -express or something that is similar. If you dom have brused/fractured ribs you need to cough and deep breathe frequently by splinting your chest with a pillow the doctor may want to support your rib cage with a 6-8 inch ace bandage. At any level you should take a proactive approach about chest pain.

I think this is what I'm going to do..get an x-ray. Going to my local clinic today and find out if they will take a look. Thanks all for the input. :)

I think this is what I'm going to do..get an x-ray. Going to my local clinic today and find out if they will take a look. Thanks all for the input. :)

Yes, do this. Also, I hope you are having conversations about this with your surgeon and his team.

Ralph

I have been a little worried about you. Have you had your X-Rays yet? How have you been feeling with that chest cramping and back pain. I hope things are improving for you. Keep us informed.

Back