• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Christa, why don't you want to have a bypass? I had the roux-en-y 12 years ago and I have been thrilled with it. It's a little bit more difficult to recover from, but I think when you put the results of all surgery side by side, the roux-en-y is still the gold standard of bypass surgery. So, what's up!?

Christa, why don't you want to have a bypass? I had the roux-en-y 12 years ago and I have been thrilled with it. It's a little bit more difficult to recover from, but I think when you put the results of all surgery side by side, the roux-en-y is still the gold standard of bypass surgery. So, what's up!?
I think its because it seems like there is so much too it, my son and hubby had the sleeve and had amazing results so I knew it worked. I am seeing a surgeon in Everett Wa

Hi Christa
Well dang! I'm 66 and seeing my surgeon on the 17th. I too want the sleeve but who knows? I'm at my Whits end as well. I want to be off the meds I'm on. All things I am considering... I'm open to what's in my best interest. Hope it works out for you!!! Keep us posted!

Didn't mean to send that. I was going to say, you already know they aren't going to do the sleeve because of some situation with your stomach. I don't know why that would be a problem, but if they can do the roux-en-y, go for it! It will do as much for you, if not more, than the gastric sleeve.

Didn't mean to send that. I was going to say, you already know they aren't going to do the sleeve because of some situation with your stomach. I don't know why that would be a problem, but if they can do the roux-en-y, go for it! It will do as much for you, if not more, than the gastric sleeve.

I'm with Diane - had my surgery on March 11th and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Hi everyone, I'm just starting the journey of Gastric Bypass. I had the Lapband done about 9 years ago. I lost about 45 pounds, then it just stopped. No matter what I did, nothing. Well, in this past 9 years I weigh 50 pounds more than when I started my lapband journey. My health, because of my weight, has made me a "spectator" in life. So, I start a new journey. Im glad I found this sight, I'm sure I'll be bending your "ears" in here quite a bit, lol. Although I've been through the process before, I have to start all over again like a new patient. So Im hoping that I get the "insurance OK" so I can get things rolling. Terri

Hi everyone, I'm just starting the journey of Gastric Bypass. I had the Lapband done about 9 years ago. I lost about 45 pounds, then it just stopped. No matter what I did, nothing. Well, in this past 9 years I weigh 50 pounds more than when I started my lapband journey. My health, because of my weight, has made me a "spectator" in life. So, I start a new journey. Im glad I found this sight, I'm sure I'll be bending your "ears" in here quite a bit, lol. Although I've been through the process before, I have to start all over again like a new patient. So Im hoping that I get the "insurance OK" so I can get things rolling. Terri

Welcome Terri, we have some pretty great members here so I'm glad you found us. :)

I was all set to have the sleeve done and they did a endoscopy and since I have had a previous stomach surgery for something else I cant have the sleeve or lapband.
I am totally depressed now, they said I could do the bypass but I didnt want to have the bypass done. So discouraged
I just did the bypass no regrets. I wanted this to free myself from diabeties type 2 forever
I was all set to have the sleeve done and they did a endoscopy and since I have had a previous stomach surgery for something else I cant have the sleeve or lapband.
I am totally depressed now, they said I could do the bypass but I didnt want to have the bypass done. So discouraged
I just got the bypass Monday no regrets. I wanted to be free of diabeties forever.

@christa62
I’m so sorry for your circumstances. But like you I originally wanted the gastric sleeve but due to my stomach conditions I think I’m going to have to have the gastric bypass surgery. I found that out by doing research. I have had my gallbladder removed and I have IBS. It’s not something that I have intended on having. But I have to do what’s best. Maybe you can talk to your doctors about your fears. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Well it’s been a little over a year since I started my “new” weight loss journey. After 6 months of the required diet, the removal of my Lap band I was scheduled for surgery on March 16, 2020......then covid shut down all elective surgeries. Talk about being disappointed! Well I was finally able to get my surgery on August 5th. I had to have an open roen-y because of too much scar tissue to have it laparoscopically, but it’s finally done. As of today I’m 11 days post op. I’m doing good, starting to feel better. Still weak and a little light headed (got to do better on my water, I think) but doing good. I’m really excited about the next chapter in my life.

Hi everyone! Well it’s been a little over a year since I started my “new” weight loss journey. After 6 months of the required diet, the removal of my Lap band I was scheduled for surgery on March 16, 2020......then covid shut down all elective surgeries. Talk about being disappointed! Well I was finally able to get my surgery on August 5th. I had to have an open roen-y because of too much scar tissue to have it laparoscopically, but it’s finally done. As of today I’m 11 days post op. I’m doing good, starting to feel better. Still weak and a little light headed (got to do better on my water, I think) but doing good. I’m really excited about the next chapter in my life.
Congrats on your surgery! Hope hope recovery treats you well, and you feel super amazing soon!

I had an open Roux-en-Y procedure 13 years ago and I actually think, in retrospect, that was a better experience then the laparoscopic option. I have had laparoscopic surgery and I just don't know why such a small thing has to hurt so much.

You will go through post-surgical pain, but they will keep you in the hospital for at least a few days, and during that time they will make sure you are well hydrated. Make sure when you leave you continue to drink water. That is the most important thing. If you have any mysterious pain, call your surgeon immediately or if necessary, go to the ER. I also recommend you start taking a fiber laxatives like psyllium. Trying to pass hard gigantic stool afterward will be the most horrible experience of your life. I'd rather have a baby.

Bowel movements are way more complicated because you are generally taking opiates afterward.

There are several schools of thought about that. I say, take the drugs. Take as many as they let you take. Time will pass and you will be asleep and not in pain and the next thing you know you will be one week or so.

Don't be a hero. You already performed a heroic Act when you made the decision surgery.

Welcome to your new life! We are excited for you and we are here for you.

Back