• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New! Not only to THIS forum but new to ANY forum.

I'm guessing but it could be due to the pre-op liquid diet, post-op liquid diet and the phasing in of foods. I think part of tasting has a lot to do with memory and acquired taste so we are "learning" all over again.

Hi everyone. I seen my dietician today and I asked about the issue of tastes changing after surgery and she told me they used to get a lot of complaints about that from patients but about two years ago they discovered that vitamin deficiency, in particular a zinc deficiency, seemed to be the cause. They switched to recommending the Bariatric Fusion and now they are getting almost no complaints about that. Just FYI :D

Hi everyone. I seen my dietician today and I asked about the issue of tastes changing after surgery and she told me they used to get a lot of complaints about that from patients but about two years ago they discovered that vitamin deficiency, in particular a zinc deficiency, seemed to be the cause. They switched to recommending the Bariatric Fusion and now they are getting almost no complaints about that. Just FYI :D

At least you were able to get an answer as to the cause from your dietician. The nutritionist that I had during orientation told us that the cause was not fully understood.

Hi Everyone,
this is my first post although I have been following a lot of you guys and forums for a couple of months.
I just had surgery on July 16, (6 days ago). Day 1 and 2 were typical, but 3,4,5 have been horrible. I have been so nauseas (is that how you spell it?)
Don't want to even look at anything except water.....any ideas or thoughts?

Hi Scotlass, Welcome. We don't worry about spelling around here eventually we spell things correctly, I usually wing it:rolleyes: Are you keeping a log of what and when you eat something, I am sure you are on protien drinks, yogurt and jello among other things. Make sure you are taking your time when you eat or drink something or your pouch will fill up to quick and the natural bodily reflex will be to expell it in whatever way possable. Some folks have problems with dairy that they never knew they would have, milk always made me bloated but I do ok with yogurt and cottage cheese. I never really got nausea until I tried pasta and bread, I still stay away frome them. However for the first year I had no appatite so I had to remeber to eat on a schedule and once my appatite came back I found that schedule very satisfying. We are all different so other shere may be able to give you a little more insite into what is going on and how they dealt with it, we are all different and react to foods in different ways. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :cool: Tom

Scotlass-Some nausea is to be expected, especially just after surgery. If is doesn't stop soon or if you are not able to keep fluids down than call your surgeon. There are prescriptions that will help control nausea. You don't want to become dehydrated so make sure to keep sipping fluids slowly throughout the day to reach your fluid goal.

Almost instantly after I sent that post I started to feel better. I think I was at my lowest. I couldn't get the protein down (my husband had bought me the protein shots and ready made drinks, like grape flavour and cherry flavour) and everything tasted sooo sweet - yuk. My sister came over that afternoon and said "that's enough, I'm going shopping for something different". It has been very good since then. Now I'm having Dannon Fit and Light peach yogurt in the morning, little bit of refried beans with melted low fat cheese on top for lunch and either mashed up potato or kozy shack rice pudding at dinner. I will make a protein shake (vanilla powder) with 1/3 banana in it and have that 2 times inbetween the food. Still trying to get as much water as I can but much better. The pain from the incisions is so much better too. This time next week I will be laughing at it all. (I hope) :)

Scotlass-Glad you're feeling better. The first week can be rough, just keep yourself hydrated. Nausea is also a symptom of dehydration so keep sipping those fluids. 80% of patients who return to the ER after bariatric surgery are there because of dehydration.

Back