• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New season… New me!

ms0616

Hello all I’m having my Gastric Sleeve surgery on Sept. 1st. I’m not really nervous (yet), but I am worried about the healing process after. I’m doing my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Altamirano. I live in LA so will be driving there and back. My surgery is on Fri and I come back home Saturday or Sunday I believe. Monday is a holiday, but I plan on going back to work on Tuesday. I’m a high school teacher so I’m not sure if that’s the best idea or not. My Dr. said that I should be fine because I can sit and my job isn’t anything that requires any heavy lifting or anything like that. I’m just a little nervous about if I’ll be able to handle being at work right away? I’m worried about having to use the restroom or going up the stairs. Things like that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Hello all I’m having my Gastric Sleeve surgery on Sept. 1st. I’m not really nervous (yet), but I am worried about the healing process after. I’m doing my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Altamirano. I live in LA so will be driving there and back. My surgery is on Fri and I come back home Saturday or Sunday I believe. Monday is a holiday, but I plan on going back to work on Tuesday. I’m a high school teacher so I’m not sure if that’s the best idea or not. My Dr. said that I should be fine because I can sit and my job isn’t anything that requires any heavy lifting or anything like that. I’m just a little nervous about if I’ll be able to handle being at work right away? I’m worried about having to use the restroom or going up the stairs. Things like that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Hello! Good luck on your surgery!

While it is true, in my experience, that you won’t be having major mobility issues, the first few days after surgery you are likely to feel very tired.

Caloric intake is extremely low during the first weeks and it can translate in having trouble focusing and completing some tasks. There is also the matter of hydration, which is probably going to be a challenge, specially if you are not at home. You will need to drink very slowly, and let your protein shake rest for a bit.
The incisions themselves are fairly small and won’t cause much pulling in simple movements, but every experience is different.

You may want to avoid using your abdominal muscles for a couple of weeks to prevent pulling on your incisions. Oxygen levels can be somewhat low after surgery, so stairs could be challenging (not impossible). Also, though not everyone experiences it, I did throw up a couple of times after surgery. There was some (very tolerable) pain then, and I imagine it would be uncomfortable if you are at your workplace. What I’m trying to say is that, even if it is possible for you to go back to work, you should probably rest for at least a week to see how your body is reacting. I don’t think it will cause any serious problems, but it is a major surgery where a big portion of your stomach is removed, so maybe give yourself some grace and healing time? However, your doctor knows best.

Can anyone help ??
I cannot create the first message.
Thank you.
You already know how. You just created a message. Just do what you just did and use the template that automatically comes up to write your subject line, and the large formattable box that comes up to create your text.

oh, at the top of the page where it says "Forums," click on that and it will bring up a bunch of posts. Just choose to create a new message or do a select all/erase to clear any text in the box and start typing your own message. When you finish, click below on "post reply." Even if you make a mistake, you can just overtype it to correct it. We're not fussy here.:rolleyes:

Thank you to everyone who commented. Looks like I will need to take time off work.

I'm glad you chose to ask for more time. You mentioned you're a teacher in LA,so I am assuming that you have time available. I know a lot of folks don't take time for themselves - so maybe this is the beginning of changing that habit as well.
Im planning on a few days off (Wed surgery, so probably Wed-Firday off). I usually work from home 4 days a week, so I told my boss I wont be going into the office for a couple of weeks after. That way I will have the ability to rest if needed. I know my situation is unique in that sense, and I am grateful for the opportunities I have.
But there is a lesson her for everyone - take the time you need. Good Luck!!

Back