• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Season… New Me!

ms0616

Hello all. My name is Manifa I’m 33 years old and from Los Angeles. My surgery date is Sept. 1st. I’m doing my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Altamirano. I gained about 110lbs during the pandemic after my father passed from COVID. I put on the weight very fast so I’m extremely uncomfortable with my body. I find myself trying to do things I was so easily able to do and now I can’t do it! It’s a very odd feeling. Im very excited for my surgery. Im doing research everyday. Im not really nervous. I’ve never been scared about having surgery. I just really need a support system because I don’t really have any friends. It’s just me and my mom and she’s my rock and biggest supporter, but I would definitely like to have some more people to talk to about everything I’m going to be experiencing soon. I hope to meet some nice people who can be my online support team.

Hello, Manifa! I am Alice. First of all, I’m very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how painful it is to lose a parent. I hope you can find peace and comfort in your mother.

The pandemic was a difficult and isolating period. Depression rates skyrocketed during it. Have you been monitoring your mental health? Food is a great comfort during difficult times and feels like a safe space when grieving; also, food addiction is a rather common problem when dealing with untreated trauma. I myself have a complicated relationship with food.

One of the hardest things for me during this process was grieving food, which had become something of a friend to me, and “losing” it made me sad. I understand that, in my case, there was a big psychological element to my relationship with food and, ultimately, with my body.

I have had great support from my mental health team, which has made it easier. Recovering from a major surgery will be a process, so, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me. If you have any doubts or fears, you can always find in me someone who will listen. I need to clarify I am not an expert whatsoever, but I can always try to understand what you are going through and be there for you. You should not be alone during this.

Best of luck!

Thank you Alice for taking the time to respond to my post. I know I’m going to need someone to talk to who has been through this surgery. Sometimes I get information that scares me and other times I’m totally fine. It’s a lot all at once.
I understand. It really is a lot, and the surgery requires a drastic lifestyle change and lifelong commitment to yourself. However, as personal as every process is, bariatric surgery is a well trodden path. I think you will be able to find many people here who can help you on your journey. If you need anything, feel free to reach out to me. Best of luck!

Can't change my password ??
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Please help.
Yours faithfully.
Click on your capital letter "I" that begins your name and is your icon identifying your post.

This will take you to your account page. Now comes the annoying part.

you'll see something like this above your initial:

click on "account." A menu will come up that includes the word "password." Click it and follow it from there. It will lead you to changing your password.

Hi Manifa! I'm Kristi and I had my bypass May 31. I'm so sorry about your dad but so glad you and your mom have each other. Sounds like you're on the right track. Glad you're here.

Back