• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to group, 4 weeks post-op, weight loss slow

gwen627

Hi! I am new to the group as of today. I had gastric sleeve surgery December 17, 2013. I am following my doctor's advice regarding foods that I can eat but find my weight loss to be stagnant. I lost 26 lbs before surgery, but only 13 lbs since. Most of the 26 lbs was lost in the 2 months before surgery, guess I thought that after surgery, the weight would come off quicker since I am unable to eat most foods. The scale did not move for 3 weeks! My doctor tells me to stay off the scale until I see him again. But I FEEL GOOD! So, I expect my scale to reflect that!!! I do feel a whole better with a 39 lb weight loss!

Can't help but feel a little depressed; having gone through a 6-month waiting period, all the nutrition and doctor visits, finally the surgery (1 week before Christmas!!), following doctor's orders, yet the scale barely moves. Is this normal? When will I finally start seeing results on a regular basis?

I too am a slow loser. I didn't lose anything the first 2 or 3 weeks (or rather, it took that long to get rid of all the fluid they pump into you in surgery). Now I'm losing about 2 pounds a week. But to me that's permanent weight loss, not dieting weight loss, and I seem to be losing another clothes size every couple of weeks. Problematic when you have to dress for work. Be patient, you're doing great.

Hey Gwen welcome to the Group!
My name is Ed (short for Edna) I am new I just joined today myself! I however had my Surgery in August 2003. I had the Roux En Y Bypass. I'm not sure how much different it is from what you had. My suggestion is to listen to your Doctor stay off the scale. The scale isn't as important as you feeling better...go with that! Eat the way your supposed to and when your body is ready to release more weight it will happen..remember attitude is everything!

About depression that is very common I went through that approx 5 months after my surgery...I actually was grieving the loss of my favorite foods, but as with grieving you will re-learn, accept and move on to a better place! The surgery is designed to get you to stop eating those things that are not good for you by having the very reactions your describing. You will find new healthier choices and will enjoy them just as much! Eat slowly enjoying your company...remember food is to sustain us and we can eat, enjoy and have weight loss success!

Best of luck to you...feel free to ask me anything...I've been doing it for a while now...best thing I ever did!

Thanks for the support Karenina! I guess I am too anxious....I will stick it out...you bring up a very valid point about it being "permanent weight loss, not dieting weight loss"!

Hi Gwen,

Lots of good advice and support. Know that you will lose weight. Your body will decide when or when not to. I am 2 plus months post op. I have had 2 weight loss stalls already. But it continues.

Weight is only one factor.

I am off all of my bp meds, my diabetes meds and my heart meds. My resting pulse is in the low 60s now. My waistline is down 10 inches (around the belly for us guys).

I have so much more energy. I can dance dance and dance again.

Focus on as many measures as you can to see the improvements. Yes, those dress, pants, blouse sizes will reduce.

Ralph

Welcome to the board. What the others said is right, this is a lifelong journey and as long as you follow the plan laid out for you, you will lose the weight. Maybe quickly, maybe slowly, but does it really matter? You say you're feeling Good and that is the most important part of this journey. Have you checked your measurements? For many of us, we haven't done much in the way of exercise, so when we start walking, we begin building muscle mass, which by volume, weighs more than fat. So you could be developing muscle mass, while losing fat and not have it show up on the scale. It will show up on the tape though, so only weigh once a week and then measure yourself at the same time. Stick to it and you'll join the BIG LOSERS club soon enough. We're always looking for new members. :)

Frank

:cool:

Welcome to the board. What the others said is right, this is a lifelong journey and as long as you follow the plan laid out for you, you will lose the weight. Maybe quickly, maybe slowly, but does it really matter? You say you're feeling Good and that is the most important part of this journey. Have you checked your measurements? For many of us, we haven't done much in the way of exercise, so when we start walking, we begin building muscle mass, which by volume, weighs more than fat. So you could be developing muscle mass, while losing fat and not have it show up on the scale. It will show up on the tape though, so only weigh once a week and then measure yourself at the same time. Stick to it and you'll join the BIG LOSERS club soon enough. We're always looking for new members. :)

Frank

:cool:
Speaking of big losers !! Hey Frank that is 191 pounds that you lost!

Wow! Good for you.

Gwen, my weight started to come off quickly the first month. Then it stalled. Now it is heading down again, but more slowly. Slow and steady wins the race. As I look at it if I only lose one pound a week for the year that will mean I will weight 185 by the end of this year! For me that will be huge success.

Will I get crazy if I don't get all the way to 185???? No! Wherever I end up by year end will be fine by me. Right now, only 54 pounds off I am feeling terrific and all the medical maladies I have had to deal with are gone! It doesn't get much better than that; but it will.

Ralph

dancinbr

You are so positive and inspiring. I never looked at it from the point of loosing one pound per week will get me to 150 in a year. WoW that sounds awesome.

Welcome Gwen don't worry if you work the plan you will start to loose the weight. Stay away from slider foods and everything will work out!

Best wishes

Thank you everyone! I have stayed off the scale for the past several days (I had been crazy with getting on it every day) and sticking to the plan! Hopefully, doctor visit on Thursday will show a nice surprise! I have not measured myself yet, but plan to do that and get on the scale Thursday morning.

Frank: I have not been exercising in the traditional sense, the weather has been crazy here in the Northeast. But, I have made it a daily goal to get up and get moving, working on a project, cleaning the house (we all know that involves a lot of exercise!).....

Gwen :)

Thank you everyone! I have stayed off the scale for the past several days (I had been crazy with getting on it every day) and sticking to the plan! Hopefully, doctor visit on Thursday will show a nice surprise! I have not measured myself yet, but plan to do that and get on the scale Thursday morning.

Frank: I have not been exercising in the traditional sense, the weather has been crazy here in the Northeast. But, I have made it a daily goal to get up and get moving, working on a project, cleaning the house (we all know that involves a lot of exercise!).....

Gwen :)

Gwen , cleaning is lots of exercise. Light cleaning such as dusting, straightening up, etc., for me at my weight would be 267 calories/hour. Also, if you have stairs use them. Try climbing up and down them for ten minutes or so. For me this would be 267 calories in 10 minutes. I use a wonderful site to journal all my food and to keep track of my activities: www.caloriecounting.com. It has everything in it. Try it.

First post op Dr. appointment

Hi Everyone, I was so afraid that my first Dr appointment after the surgery would be bad. But the Dr is very happy with all I have been doing.....Now I am on the way of soft food and exercise machine...150 min a week to build up to....

My medicine has dropped from 30 a day to 4....My insulin has gone from 55 at night and daily shots at meals to only 9 at night.....I have no more GERD....I am not worried about the weight yet I know that will come with time....I want to thank all of you for your help on this web site.....

Please keep the good words and great positive thoughts coming....

Still hurt on left side but Dr says that too shall pass. I still get very cold at times but he says it was probably because of the major surgery..That too should pass.

Now need to get soft food recipes...Any help would be welcome....:p

Hi Everyone, I was so afraid that my first Dr appointment after the surgery would be bad. But the Dr is very happy with all I have been doing.....Now I am on the way of soft food and exercise machine...150 min a week to build up to....

My medicine has dropped from 30 a day to 4....My insulin has gone from 55 at night and daily shots at meals to only 9 at night.....I have no more GERD....I am not worried about the weight yet I know that will come with time....I want to thank all of you for your help on this web site.....

Please keep the good words and great positive thoughts coming....

Still hurt on left side but Dr says that too shall pass. I still get very cold at times but he says it was probably because of the major surgery..That too should pass.

Now need to get soft food recipes...Any help would be welcome....:p

Great news all around.

Yes, I get cold too. It just happens all of a sudden. So I bundle up. I even put gloves on in the house sometimes.

I remember I was out with a bunch of friends in New Orleans back in December and we were at a bar. I was the designated driver. So, my drink was/is cranberry juice or any other juice I can have.

What was happening right at the bar was my hands got freezing cold. I explained what the issue was to the bartender, a nice but sassy lady. We had a lot of fun with her. You know what she did? She went and got a cup of hot water and put it in front of me and said hold this now and then and warm up your hands. It felt wonderful.

Back