• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to Group, need help!

I remember being on a flight and having to ask for the extender. I also happened to be sitting in an exit row. (I still tear up as I recall this incident)...the flight attendant chastised me in front of what seemed like the ENTIRE cabin about how I couldn't have an extender and expect to perform the "duties of the exit row". I was humiliated and wanted to slink off the plane. But I held my head up as she was looking for another seat for me and I stated "who wants to sit next to the fat girl??" A couple stood up and the husband said "here, please sit next to my wife...I'll take your seat". They were a godsend. It turns out they both had bypass surgery and I was able to pick her brain the entire flight. I still speak with both of them. Whether you believe in God, or some other higher entity, People are put in your path for a reason. I just hope and pray I can be that for someone...
What a great story. Thank God you had decent people who could lessen your humiliation.
One time I was on a flight and I had a cough that wouldn't quit. I wasn't contagious, but the dry air of the plane was making the coughing worse. The woman next to me rang the bell for the attendant, and I thought, how nice, she's going to ask for a cup of water for me. Instead she asked for a seat reassignment. I was devastated, and mad too. I wanted to cough in her face and tell her I had air-born ebola or something like that.

I remember being on a flight and having to ask for the extender. I also happened to be sitting in an exit row. (I still tear up as I recall this incident)...the flight attendant chastised me in front of what seemed like the ENTIRE cabin about how I couldn't have an extender and expect to perform the "duties of the exit row". I was humiliated and wanted to slink off the plane. But I held my head up as she was looking for another seat for me and I stated "who wants to sit next to the fat girl??" A couple stood up and the husband said "here, please sit next to my wife...I'll take your seat". They were a godsend. It turns out they both had bypass surgery and I was able to pick her brain the entire flight. I still speak with both of them. Whether you believe in God, or some other higher entity, People are put in your path for a reason. I just hope and pray I can be that for someone...

OMG that is horrible what a B!!! I am glad that that couple was on the plane. I have never flown for fear of embarrassment and what not. That might be one of my first things to!

OMG! Gina what an amazing story. I'm so proud of you and grateful to that couple who had your back. They are definitely people to count as friends worth keeping. Another boohoo/woohoo moment. Heartbroken and over joyed for you. Thank you for telling this story to us all.

What a great story. Thank God you had decent people who could lessen your humiliation.
One time I was on a flight and I had a cough that wouldn't quit. I wasn't contagious, but the dry air of the plane was making the coughing worse. The woman next to me rang the bell for the attendant, and I thought, how nice, she's going to ask for a cup of water for me. Instead she asked for a seat reassignment. I was devastated, and mad too. I wanted to cough in her face and tell her I had air-born ebola or something like that.

LOL. If I was on that plane with you I would've govern you 20 bucks to say that to her. Then you and I would've probably been taken down by the Air Marshal and spent rest of the day in quarantine explaining "it's just a joke"..... Ok I'm probably watching too much TV and a little wacky only 2 weeks, 4 days left to Baby Belly Day! Yippee!

At first I felt the same way. I didn't tell anyone who wasn't on the 'need to know' list. NOW I'm telling complete strangers. I'm telling whoever can hear me. I'm so happy and excited that I've just gone giddy. Also I am a little terrified and so I am a little whacky. I don't know why I'm doing this. I kinda feel like I'm on this wild ride and just hangin-on and having a good time. Whenever I eat something special I say good bye my yummy treat. Thanksgiving is my 'last supper' literally. But with all your support I'm ok with all that right now. I Thank all of you for sharing with all of us.

My last dinner is going to be chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, sautéed fresh green beans and bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos

My Daddy was from Texas and your last supper would have been Heaven to him. He's probably enjoying it right now up there. He would've included biscuits and gravy too.

Not too crazy about biscuits and gravy. I know that after the surgery I probably wont get to eat red meat because it doesn't fully agree with me now :(

Thanksgiving 2007 was my "last supper" as well...It's amazing how your outlook changes and the way you will view your relationship with food. I still have issues with some things (especially red meat) but it was worth EVERY single minute.
and thanks you guys for your support. Even though I've gotten to goal, it really still is a daily struggle. I still see that fat girl in the mirror (though its a LOT less often) and wish I could just "lose a few more"...

At first I felt the same way. I didn't tell anyone who wasn't on the 'need to know' list. NOW I'm telling complete strangers. I'm telling whoever can hear me. I'm so happy and excited that I've just gone giddy. Also I am a little terrified and so I am a little whacky. I don't know why I'm doing this. I kinda feel like I'm on this wild ride and just hangin-on and having a good time. Whenever I eat something special I say good bye my yummy treat. Thanksgiving is my 'last supper' literally. But with all your support I'm ok with all that right now. I Thank all of you for sharing with all of us.

I guess thanksgiving will be my "last supper" ;) as well. The cardiologist has cleared me for surgery. So the Dec 2nd is what we are shooting for.

My last dinner is going to be chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, sautéed fresh green beans and bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos

I'm almost 5 months post op. I saw the nutritionists a couple weeks ago and she said I can eat anything I want. Nothing is off the table, just stop when I am full and chew each bite very slowly. I really think this a good thing because if I'm out I can just eat as everyone else but very tiny amounts fill me up. I dont crave sweets at all but if I want a bite or two of something I can have it and I dont feel deprived or different. I used to be the type of person who would always finish my plate. Now, when I'm full thats it... I give it to my dog or throw it away or wrap it up and eat more of it tomorrow. Out of habit I still at times take too much on my plate but once I feel full, that's it.. all done.

I know they say that you tastes change and things but my digestive tract doesn't process red meat the best pre-op. I don't think I will subject my tummy to a bunch of red meat post-op and most definitely not a bunch of fried foods. I already prefer like fries to be oven crisped rather than fried. (mmmm honey glazed sweet potato fries) sorry let me dab that drool lol. I also do a lot of baked chicken breast because I tend to have issues with eating things off of the bone. It's a mental issue like if I eat a chicken leg my brain automatically goes to a live clucking chicken walking around. If it were not for chicken and turkey I probably could go vegan or vegetarian. I still love my milk and my cheese but a cow's heart isn't stopped to get that gallon of milk. I can do other animal byproducts with no problem. And I by no means have issues with other people enjoying there mooing steak (when I eat steak it has to be med-rare) or chicken or whatever else.

Enough of that tangent.

I'm almost 5 months post op. I saw the nutritionists a couple weeks ago and she said I can eat anything I want. Nothing is off the table, just stop when I am full and chew each bite very slowly. I really think this a good thing because if I'm out I can just eat as everyone else but very tiny amounts fill me up. I dont crave sweets at all but if I want a bite or two of something I can have it and I dont feel deprived or different. I used to be the type of person who would always finish my plate. Now, when I'm full thats it... I give it to my dog or throw it away or wrap it up and eat more of it tomorrow. Out of habit I still at times take too much on my plate but once I feel full, that's it.. all done.
Don't give it to the dog! You'll have a morbidly obese dog who will need doggie WLS.

Back