• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to group

Hello everyone, I am new to this and am on the road to getting the surgery almost thru the process and working on my pre surgical weight loss. I am so nervous to say the least I worry after surgery I will vomit and or have bowel problems for a long period of time,I worry about becoming malnourished and I already have thin hair and worry so much about looking bald.I would appreciate hearing others experiances and share pre-surgery jitters with those of you waiting for the big day. Looking for friends to share this journey with:eek:

Welcome! You must have positive thoughts. Yes, some of those things you mentioned could happen, but they are not the norm. Pre-surgery jitters are normal, and everyone has them (some more than others) :) Read through the forums, talk to some of the other people here. Get a feel for what others have experienced. My surgery was on Jan. 28th (4 days ago), so the actual post-operative issues are fresh in my mind. I really had no problems with the surgery. So my advice is to take a deep breath, and keep moving forward.Try to remember all the reasons that made you want the surgery in the first place. You can do this!

Missy

HI Joanne 5205 WELCOME TO THIS SITE ALL OF US HAVE EXPERIENCED THE WORRIES YOU ARE BEING FACED WITH RIGHT NOW. I WAS FOTUNATE AND DIDN'T HAVE ANY VOMITING AFTER SURGERY, SOME MED. CAN CAUSE LOOSE BOWELS BUT THAT IS A TEMPORARY THING. AS TIME GOES ON SOME DEAL WITH CONSTIPATION BUT EVERYTHING WE FACE IS WELL WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN. THE TOOL THE SURGERY GIVES US MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT. ONCE YOU SEE THE POUNDS DISAPEARING YOU 'LL SAY" WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO HAVE THIS SURGERY, AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I SAID,IT TOOK ME 9 MONTHS TO GO THROUGH ALL THE TESTING ETC AND FOR SURGEON TO HAVE AN OPEN DATE, SO I GOT MINE DONE IN SEPT 2012 ,IT WAS THE "BEST THING I EVER HAD DONE FOR MYSELF" AND MY FAMIY TOO FOR I NOW HAVE MORE ENERGY AND I AM ENJOYING LIFE MORE NOW TOO, AND SO WIL YOU.I WILL GLADY TRY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU HAVE ABOUT SURGERY, FOR MOST OF THE PEOPLE INTHIS ROOM HAVE HELPED ME THROUGH MY JOURNEY. THERE'S MORE SUPPORT IN THIS ROOM THAN ANY OTHER ROOM I HAVE FOUND. HANG IN THERE YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT. DONNA

Joanne
It is okay to be nervous, you are taking a big step. Please do not psych yourself out, keep a positive attitude. One step at a time, don't borrow trouble and worry about what ifs, just do your very best right now. Do everything your Doctor tells you to do and you will be better than ever. I just had my surgery in December of 2012 and wish that I had done it sooner! Good luck! Laurie

Thank you for the posts and reassurances I need them it really helps hearing people say they wonder why they waited so long. I'm so grateful to have a place to come and share my highs and lows with.

I really wish that I had not been so stubborn and waited so long. I turned 50 last year and finally decided to put on my "big girl" panties no more, I was doing this for me and that was it. Just think about things that you have not done because of your weight, them make a list of what you are going to do once you are at or near your goal weight. I want to jump out of a plane, I want to do a zip line, I want to do the rides at 6 flags again. With each day I loose about 1/3 pound I know I am closer to that and much more.
What I am saying it try to keep it positive, don't allow yourself to wallow in the doubt and worry. If and when something happens you will deal with it and you will move forward again.

I am having surgery feb 28th, i am also scared with all the changes, i am excited of the things i will be able to do it, but scared with all the changes,

My surgery was easy, I was up that night walking and I really think that helped me. Every 3 or 4 hours I would do a few laps around the ward. The fear is just your brain telling your body to look out!

Yeah i know, I am trying to think about all the positive changes that will come with it, that makes it easier, I am getting the sleeve to. Do you get sick often?

No I do not get sick. I learned the hard way not to drink and eat at the same time. Even them I was not like I was "sick" I just had to get rid of the liquid in my stomach. Some stuff I have learned will be uncomfortable. like I cannot eat bread now but I can have toast. I miss drinking water the most. I can only sip now, I really used to chug it!

Sorry for the slow reply. I have lost 41lbs so far. My husband had surgery last week and this has not been a good week for me. I have been up and down all week but ended the week with only 1/2lb loss. But I am back to taking care of me now and hope to get back on track. As far as water, I have learned to freeze my water bottles and I sip them as the thaw out. I try to keep one with me all the time, but again this last week was not so good.

Back