• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to site, surgery was 3/9/2020

Hi all,
I had RNY on 3/9, things are going on so far. Got to have pureed today, had some pureed canned chicken around 11 and then a softly scrambled egg around 5.....but then I drank my protein around 6:30 and now having some increased gas & belly pains....is this to be expected?

Thank you all!
Hi and congratulations on your surgery! That sounds pretty normal to me, it'll take some time for your body to adjust to actual food. Just take it slow and you should be fine. :)

Hi everyone, I just had a gastric sleeve done on 3/16/20 and I couldn't have asked for a better turnout! The surgery went great, no complications, I feel truly blessed... However, I'm finding it super hard to stomach my medications every day. My surgeon told me I had to crush everything or take the chewable but as you all know not everything comes in a chewable form... I've tried mixing the medication powder in with all sorts of stuff,and nothing can mask the taste and it just makes me nausious. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how I can more easily take my medications? Also, I've been having a huge amount of gas and bloating discomfort,,...I've been taking the chewable gasex in the morning and at night for that but if anyone has any ideas on that note, that would be great too. It feels like even water gives me gas! I never had that problem before surgery

I don't know if you have constipation alos, but I read in an earlier post that someone takes Miralax every night and that helps with constipations. I am extrapolating to think it also might help with the gas, since it helps the lower GI tract. I hope others have some more helpful ideas for you. Congratulations on your success so far. I am sure you will do well.:)

Hi everyone, I just had a gastric sleeve done on 3/16/20 and I couldn't have asked for a better turnout! The surgery went great, no complications, I feel truly blessed... However, I'm finding it super hard to stomach my medications every day. My surgeon told me I had to crush everything or take the chewable but as you all know not everything comes in a chewable form... I've tried mixing the medication powder in with all sorts of stuff,and nothing can mask the taste and it just makes me nausious. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how I can more easily take my medications? Also, I've been having a huge amount of gas and bloating discomfort,,...I've been taking the chewable gasex in the morning and at night for that but if anyone has any ideas on that note, that would be great too. It feels like even water gives me gas! I never had that problem before surgery
Hi Amy and congratulations on your surgery! You're very lucky, so many of our members have had to be postponed because of the virus. Are you allowed any pureed foods yet such as applesauce? That would be my first instinct to disguise the flavor of crushed medications. If not, maybe a V-8? Something with a lot of flavor like that may help cover it up. Hopefully others have suggestions too.

For the gas, personally tums helped me more than gas-x so you may want to try those. Then just walking and time. I've heard others mention heating pads work too. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!!! :)

I had the sleeve and have been swallowing the pills whole the whole time. No problems. Not saying for you to do that, but I wasn't told to crush them. I was cutting a couple of them in half, but stopped that early on. I have noticed that some of the stuff they say to do pertains to gastric bypass, and they just glom the sleeve onto that protocol. The sleeve is less restrictive than the bypass. There is so much disparity in what each surgeon or clinic says to do, it makes one wonder.

I had the sleeve and have been swallowing the pills whole the whole time. No problems. Not saying for you to do that, but I wasn't told to crush them. I was cutting a couple of them in half, but stopped that early on. I have noticed that some of the stuff they say to do pertains to gastric bypass, and they just glom the sleeve onto that protocol. The sleeve is less restrictive than the bypass. There is so much disparity in what each surgeon or clinic says to do, it makes one wonder.
Now that you say that Mary, despite having bypass, I've always swallowed my pills whole too! The only exception was the first oral pain pill they gave me in the hospital, which the nurse cut in half, just in case. But I've always been fine with whole since that second pill and ever since. So I wonder why Amy's surgeon is advising them to all be crushed???

Now that you say that Mary, despite having bypass, I've always swallowed my pills whole too! The only exception was the first oral pain pill they gave me in the hospital, which the nurse cut in half, just in case. But I've always been fine with whole since that second pill and ever since. So I wonder why Amy's surgeon is advising them to all be crushed???
My surgeon's office wants pills crushed as well. Luckily I have only two plus the Omeprazole. And vitamins should be crushed, chewable, or liquid for the time being.

Back