• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to site

ksim

Hello!
My name is Kathi. I am planning a future gastric sleeve. I found out tonight that the psychiatrist does not think that I am ready to have this surgery. My initial response was sadness and frustration. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you

can you tell us the reason your shrink doesn't think you should have surgery yet? I'd really like to know what a psychiatric medical doctor believes about whether or not a person is ready. I hope you'll explain more.

I have seen this come up a few times on this and another forum. I have never heard of directly being denied because of this, but usually they require some extra therapy to prepare. It might not be a bad thing, depending on what your psychologist's reasons are.
Take advantage of it and get yourself in the best mental state as possible!
Good luck.

I did not. But I could not agree more with K. Take this opportunity to get yourself where you need to be mentally. Your entire relationship with food has to change in order to be successful long term.

I readily admit to thinking that if they cut out your stomach, the rest is magic. It is not. I cannot eat large amounts of chocolate, without getting nauseous. But I can eat large amounts of popcorn, no problem. And I could theoretically eat chocolate every day, just a bit at a time. Which means my success depends entirely on my own choices.

The surgery really is just a tool. Pre-op therapy should really be required for all. Most if us did no have a healthy relationship with food. If they're giving you help to work through any issues, consider it a blessing.

I had two required meetings with psych prior to surgery and honestly, I thought it was really helpful. I also will have a scheduled meeting, six months out I think, which I also think will be beneficial. Like Missy said, any help you can get to work through unhealthy food issues prior to surgery is a win.

Hello there,
Thank you for responding. She told me that I am not emotionally stable because I have stress in my life. She says that I need to reduce my risk for self harm. I had an attempt when I was 14 years old. I am almost 50 now. At the time of taking the 500 question test I had not seen any dietician yet. I have had one visit and all she told me was that I need to eat 3 meals a day while at home(I struggle with this).
Frustrated and sad. Kathi

I have seen this come up a few times on this and another forum. I have never heard of directly being denied because of this, but usually they require some extra therapy to prepare. It might not be a bad thing, depending on what your psychologist's reasons are.
Take advantage of it and get yourself in the best mental state as possible!
Good luck.
Thank you. I have made arramgements with a bariatric counselor.

Hello there,
Thank you for responding. She told me that I am not emotionally stable because I have stress in my life. She says that I need to reduce my risk for self harm. I had an attempt when I was 14 years old. I am almost 50 now. At the time of taking the 500 question test I had not seen any dietician yet. I have had one visit and all she told me was that I need to eat 3 meals a day while at home(I struggle with this).
Frustrated and sad. Kathi

Is this psychiatrist attached to the bariatric center you are using? I ask because if not, the response could be based on personal bias against WLS in general. And if they are not directly attached you may be able to get (and use) a 2nd opinion. If they are attached and you must be cleared through them, try to stay positive Even with no complications, this is a long process.

Last edited:
With my insurance and the doctor that I am using there is only one option for psychiatrist. I feel differently about it now but at first I was very upset. I need a total knee replacement and I am in a lot of pain. This puts that surgery off further. I have already secured the bariatric dietician and support group she wanted me to have. Just waiting on bariatric counselor to call me back.

Back