• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the group

lsales4363

I've cleared my psych evaluation and dietician, just waiting for a surgery date. I haven't told anyone I am doing this. Curious to know how others have dealt with the "questions". Obviously co-workers will know something is up when I am off for the surgery. A few years ago I had a family member make a negative comment about the surgery and why would anyone do that. So, right now, I am more nervous about telling others than I am about the surgery itself.

I looked into bariatric surgery over the last 10 yrs. I talked it over with friends and relatives and they were all for it but I was afraid because of other health problems I had. Most of my friends and relatives actually nagged me to have it done for years. I finally felt my health was good enough to have the surgery and sought out a surgeon who had the best credentials and track record. While I was going through my presurgical tests and such, I kept quiet to most everyone because I wanted to be sure this was something I wanted to do and didn't want to be influenced by anyone else. Once the surgery was close on the horizon only then did I share my news with them. No matter whether peope are overly pushy for the surgery or against the surgery, just keep in mind that its your life and you have to make that decision yourself..

If someone would have said something negative to me then I would have told them that I have to keep a positive outlook and I really don't want to discuss anything negative and I have studied the pros and cons and decided bariatric surgery was right for me.

I haven't told anyone except for my son and daughter in law. I had the surgery on Wednesday and plan to be off for 2 weeks. At work all they know is that I'm having continuing health problems with my colon (missed 2-1/2 months of work last year). I may tell a few select people, but don't really feel like it's anyone else's business. Do what feels right for you.

Cheyenne, I'm feeling really well. Trying to pace myself so I don't get too tired. Getting the fluids and protein down is a full-time job.

Cheyenne, I'm feeling really well. Trying to pace myself so I don't get too tired. Getting the fluids and protein down is a full-time job.

Glad your feeling well. Yes trying to get the fluids down is hard. The tummy fills up so fast!

I guess it will be different when I'm eating solid food, but I don't feel full at all. It kind of worries me. I think I should feel full or uncomfortable or something, but everything is going down really smoothly. famous last words, huh.

I don't feel full with the liquids, but not really hungry either. I have flashes of wanting something salty, so I guess I should figure out what I can eat today that would curb that craving

I never salt any of my foods except tomatoes. My sugeon doesnt like me being too salt free. He wanted me to continue with broth. I am sick of broth and asked the doctor about Original V-8 juice and he thought that was a good idea. I drink about 4 oz every morning. It has a light salty favor plus those veggies are good for me. A couple times when I had a friend do shopping they accidently got the low salt kind and yuk it tastes nasty.

I didn't tell anyone until all my test were completed. Then I told my son and daughter, then sister's and brother after a date was set. Told my supervisor because I applied for STD everyone at work thought I was out on vacation. I didn't want to hear the comments good or bad. I did tell my trainer and she ended up having her WLS a week before me. She returned to work within a week but because of my BP I had to take STD and hopefully I will be released to RTW next week.

Need your help!

Hello everyone .. I’m new to the site. I am planning on have the sleeve gastrectomy in Dec. Still going through all the “pre surgery hoops”.
I am married with 3 grown boys, (25, 20 & 18) and grandson (3). So I am so ready for this surgery so I can keep up with the grandson and hopefully future grandkids.
But I really need right now is to talk to about 10 people who’s had surgery. I’d like to hear:
• How your surgery went, coming home, learning to eat again? Good & bad.
• How did affect (if any) your relationship with your spouse/sufficient other?
• How was the rest of your family with the decision and your results?

The Good; The Bad

I am now officially three weeks post-op and I feel good. Now I am still having pain in my largest incision and still on pain medication. My main issues is my Blood Pressure and this is something that goes out of whack with me off and on for the last 10 years or so. It is the main reason I remain on STD which I'm ok with but limited driving because of my medication.

Eating or even drinking during the first week was hard and everthing was hard to go down without feeling the tightness in my chest. Now at week 3 no problems. I've adjusted to taking in smaller quanities, eating slower, sipping and getting in everything. My average water intake is around 50 - 64 oz and my average other liquids is about 64 oz. which includes soups; nectar protein; smoothies and liquid vitamins.

The harder foods such as tuna; salmon makes me very uncomfrontable so I stick with veggies and supplement protein. I get in 65 -100 grams of protein daily. So far no vegetable has caused any discomfort. Total weight loss is around 25lbs.

Hello everyone .. I’m new to the site. I am planning on have the sleeve gastrectomy in Dec. Still going through all the “pre surgery hoops”.
I am married with 3 grown boys, (25, 20 & 18) and grandson (3). So I am so ready for this surgery so I can keep up with the grandson and hopefully future grandkids.
But I really need right now is to talk to about 10 people who’s had surgery. I’d like to hear:
• How your surgery went, coming home, learning to eat again? Good & bad.
• How did affect (if any) your relationship with your spouse/sufficient other?
• How was the rest of your family with the decision and your results?

Hi and welcome to the group. I am 3 weeks post sleeve and am doing well. I've already stopped one of my BP meds, and am in the process of weaning off the other 2. I am also stopping cholesterol meds for a month before a blood re-check. I stopped nightly oxygen therapy.
I couldn't get through the post-op eating without treating it like it was a "job". For the 2 weeks I was off work, it was the only job I had, and I really worked hard at it. Now that I'm back at work I have to plan my eating day before hand so that I get all my fluid, protein, and carbs in. I'm still on liquids, and they let me add in yogurt and cottage cheese this week.
I'm a widow so I can't answer the question about significant other. When I told my son about it, he said he never noticed that I was big--I'm just his mom (awwwww). I haven't told the rest of my family, who live in another state. I'll probably tell them over Christmas

Thanks for your replies. I've only told a few close friends and immediate family. So trying to come up with 10 people who's had the surgery to talk to is hard. I don't wont to put my plans on Facebook and work (other than the boss) doesn't know. So any replies are much appreciated.

Back